Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newspaper.com look-up

• 27-01-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Looking to see the actual death notice relating to an Ancestry hint, details as below. Thanks for help.

Name - Edward P. Donnelly
    Gender - Male
    Death Age -94
    Birth Date -abt 1903
    Residence Place -S.w. Phiia.
    Death Date -14 Dec 1997
    Obituary Date -16 Dec 1997
    Obituary Place -Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Spouse -Kathrvn
    Child -Edward
    Siblings -Mary Miller
    Household Members
    Edward P. Donnelly
    Kathrvn
    Mary Miller
    George Stee
    Edward
    Richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I looked Edward up on the FMP newspaper archive without success. You sure there was an obit? (Not just findagrave or US SocSec deaths?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Think it's on page 48 of The Philadelphia Daily News, 16 Dec 1997, but I no longer have access to Newspapers.com so can't download a readable image - sorry Boscod.
    Maybe someone else has access ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Philadelphia Daily News doesn't appear to be among the collection at Find My Past.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 1912 directory on that dublin1850 site (presume its yours) has just thrown me in to a 20 minute rabbit hole involving the childrens folklore collection, Geohive maps, old legislation and bouncing stuff off my brother who's in to industrial history just from one hotel name I'd never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I must get round to completing it some year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

That's it. Thanks Spurious and all for your help.

Looking to get hold of this death notice, any help would much appreciated.

Name: Sarah Cinmngham Mooney
    Death Date: Abt 1950
    Obituary Date: 29/01/1950 (29 Jan 1950)
    Obituary Place: St. Louis Missouri United States of America
    Spouse: James Mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Deja Boo, I have a newspapers.com subscription but to access your record a "Publisher's Extra' subscription is required and I don't have that. Ancestry gets you for everything--Ancestry itself, then newspapers.com, then the Publisher's Extra--even more money for more recent dates.

You might try posting on Ancestry's Philadelphia board to see if someone there can access it. Sorry not to be able to help.

You could also try emailing the reference department in Philadelphia's main public library.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder if someone could please look up information in the Drogheda Independent, October/November 1900 around the death of Thomas Cunningham 20-10-1900 as a result of drowning. See death record here (no. 347):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05745/4622443.pdf

• Advertisement

PM me an email address and I will send you it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Boscod wrote: »
    Looking to get hold of this death notice, any help would much appreciated.

Name: Sarah Cinmngham Mooney
    Death Date: Abt 1950
    Obituary Date: 29/01/1950 (29 Jan 1950)
    Obituary Place: St. Louis Missouri United States of America
    Spouse: James Mooney

I found it here:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4557386/sarah-cunningham-mooney-obit/

Brilliant, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Maybe everyone knows this, but I just discovered a free website called Elephind which links in to databases of newspapers in the US and Australia & some other places.... https://elephind.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's a new one on me - thanks for posting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

rhapsody wrote: »
    I wonder if someone could please look up information in the Drogheda Independent, October/November 1900 around the death of Thomas Cunningham 20-10-1900 as a result of drowning. See death record here (no. 347):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05745/4622443.pdf

I searched for Cunningham from 20 October to end December on irishnewsarchive and found no relevant item.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

crossman47 wrote: »
    I searched for Cunningham from 20 October to end December on irishnewsarchive and found no relevant item.

Thanks so much for this. spurious was able to find it (his name was only mentioned once!)

Sometimes, particularly on longer words, the OCR goes awry. I found it searching for 'drowning' in the Drogheda Independent in 1900.

Advertisement