Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most underated song

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Thanks.
    I couldn’t gloss over the rubbish as the purpose of those compilations is to primarily document a four month chart window. So stuff that did well at the time gets included. One major flaw of retrospective compilations is that they cherrypick and omit some of the forgotten songs.
    Agree, the compilations were great value for money but the sound quality suffered with too many tracks on each side. They should have started full CD releases a lot sooner than November 1987.

Ah yeah, sure great and all as the NOW & Hits series were, they all contain a bit of junk.

UrbanSprawl is a good username for an Arcade Fire fan.

I like them myself, they're quite eclectic.

Anyway this rocked up on the shuffle today, not her biggest chart success but far superior to her Top 10 solo hits during the 80s. Full album version so it's a bit long.

Great 1987 single from a pair of Prince's protogées. Got loads of airplay but nobody bought it.

Decent single from 2006, got buried in an incomplete band compilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZrgleyX0g

IMO the best song this man has ever written

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Decent single from 2006, got buried in an incomplete band compilation.

I'm a bit of a Depeche Mode fan and, to be honest, I think that song is just alright. They have many great songs, some of which are probably underrated, but that is not one of them. Sorry!

I'm a bit of a Depeche Mode fan and, to be honest, I think that song is just alright. They have many great songs, some of which are probably underrated, but that is not one of them. Sorry!

You're absolutely right about DM having better songs, but I like "Martyr" even if I'm in the minority.

Actually I could even argue that you've proved my point about it being underrated, as it's not to everyone's taste. I really enjoy the obscure videos on this thread, some of which were completely new to me.

I like this, used to hear it all the time during elevenses break on a Green Park building site during the Summer of '88. Very apt title as my stint as a builder's labourer wouldn't rank too high on my CV

This reached no. 29 in the Irish Charts in April 1991, which was a good bit higher than its peak at No. 100 in the UK Singles chart at the same time. He has better known songs but I like this one.

Originally released in 1985.

• Advertisement

The Mission "Butterfly on a Wheel". Got the 1990s singles chart off to a good start.

Great 1987 single from Spear of Destiny, managed to hit the UK top 20. Time has been kind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Well here is something completely brilliant by a band I am pretty certain that no-one here will ever have heard of. Balloon?? Give it a listen and if anyone knows how to post the link properly please do so. Deserves to be heard. And dont worry about the lads. Last I heard one of them was working for the Financial Times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Truthvader wrote: »

I think they played before Bill Hicks in The Tivoli, great show. I was in first year in college.

Truthvader wrote: »

That's a fine song,Truthvader. Completely new to me too

I think they played before Bill Hicks in The Tivoli, greatc show. I was in first year in college.

I kneel before your superior happenstance and historical choice of gig. Only came accross them a couple of years ago

Not as obsure as Balloon but Sixto Rodriguez for those who dont know yet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCnlrTy1eg

From the 1987 Never Let Me Down album, the rest of which was utter dross.

"Time Will Crawl" is excellent though, a pearl amongst swine. Managed to scrape into the UK Top 40 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

From the 1987 Never Let Me Down album, the rest of which was utter dross.

Have you heard the 2018 version of the album from Loving The Alien 1983-1988

Much better.

• Advertisement

Have you heard the 2018 version of the album from Loving The Alien 1983-1988

Much better.

I haven't, never knew that it got rebooted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Morgans

The best 9 and a half minute swedish alt-rock song you will hear this morning. (or most mornings).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Toto - Angela

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Morgans

Richard Hawley - Tonight the Streets are ours

Richard Hawley - Valentine

I haven't heard this for more than 30 years, still catchy. From a period when movie soundtracks were regular radio fare.

Laois Community Radio played this constantly in the mid-80s, that's where I heard it first I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I haven't heard this for more than 30 years, still catchy. From a period when movie soundtracks were regular radio fare.

Laois Community Radio played this constantly in the mid-80s, that's where I heard it first I think.

Nice. I had not heard that one before.

Here's another underrated song from Eddy Grant - Living on the Frontline:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLY5h8FbM6k

^^^^

Played "Baby Come Back" for the youthful residents here, they can't believe it's from the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

On the subject of old songs that sound like they could have came out this year...

Lovely little gem from the velvet underground

• Advertisement

Great single from the Psychedelic Furs which only reached no. 75 in the UK charts during the Summer of 1988. Not house or SAW enough at the time I suppose.

Advertisement