Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is causing this - streaks on windscreen?

Options
  • 28-02-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I am having an issue since i put a new blade on.
    Ive washed the screen with windoleen and washing up.liquid but it keeps coming back.

Blade on wrong way round maybe ? Its only in the back swipe of the blade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cheap poor quality blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wax on the screen, use methylatedvspirits or isopropanyl to clean the screen and wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Is blade sitting flat on screen? Looks like it's missing bits as it wipes.

+1 on crap quality blade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Cheap poor quality blade.

It's a bosch aero twin. Is there much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

RobAMerc wrote: »

Anything is better, they're absolute junk. Valeo are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ok sorry. I use them too and find them excellent. Maybe it’s not clipped in correctly? Try flipping it around the other way maybe...

You can't beat OEM, cost more but last twice as long. Those Bosch aerotwin are terrible, I've had them in several cars and they didn't last pissing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You can't beat OEM, cost more but last twice as long. Those Bosch aerotwin are terrible, I've had them in several cars and they didn't last pissing time.

Most OEMs are Bosch?!

Most OEMs are Bosch?!

Any I've seen are valeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I did think Bosch were good but after 4 months blade stopped flipping on rear screen and replaced twice and Valeo on now cleans and its quieter .
    No not use dishwashing liquid in your windscreen bottle but in winter i use mobil screenwash protection down to -16c
    Use a proper auto cleaner for car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Ive washed the screen with windoleen and washing up.liquid but it keeps coming back.

I got that problem the last time I changed. I was using these Heyner blades for ages and they must have changed the design slightly as there was a plastic ridge which caught the arm on the sweep.

Used Bosch instead - nearly twice the price - but worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Empty windscreen tank compleatly and get a proper windscreen liquid cleaner from motor factors etc and dilute as per instructions and all should be ok then and dont forget to use a soft cloth and clean the leading edge of your windscreen blades occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Replace wipers, or maybe you bent the wiper arm whilst replacement of the wipers

Spook_ie wrote: »

I believed all that and everything was fine for about 3 months... I still have two on the family hack (Avensis) and no one wants to drive it in the rain, they would absolutely drive you nuts. Believe it or not but I had a pair of Lidl wipers on it before that and they were brilliant, I should have left them on the car.

Yes noisy as hell i bet.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Yes noisy as hell i bet.

Exactly, purrrrp on every downstroke and whatever frequency it is the windscreen acts like a diaphragm amplifying it, it would do your head in on a long journey.

Change blades for valeo is an easy fix.

I believed all that and everything was fine for about 3 months... I still have two on the family hack (Avensis) and no one wants to drive it in the rain, they would absolutely drive you nuts. Believe it or not but I had a pair of Lidl wipers on it before that and they were brilliant, I should have left them on the car.

Most motoring sources give a general guideline of changing blades every six months, given how much rain we seem to get in Ireland maybe three months should be the guideline?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PIAA silicone blades are expensive but far superior to rubber or rubber/graphite type blades.
    The important part is cleaning the windscreen throughly before fitting new blades, Trico used to do a glass cleaning liquid which worked very well to remove deposits from the screen although Coca-cola is supposed to work as well.
    Phosphoric acid is the main ingredient that does the work in Coke so maybe a dilute solution of that would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Coca-cola is supposed to work as well.
    It works great. Proper coke and nothing else will do. Soak a cloth in it and pur it onto the windscreen. Scrub hard and wash thoroughly with water after, especially the bodywork as it can be nasty on metalwork if left there.

Also, for anyone else who mentioned it, DO NOT USE WINDOLEEN or any glass cleaner. It's not for cars and will lead to foggy glass and greasy windows. Use proper car window cleaner, even vinegar will do a better job than windowleen.

Make sure to scrub the blades with coke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have also found Bosch AeroTwins to be awful, they left streaks soon after fitting. OEM blades (Toyota, so probably Denso?) and the PIAA blades I replaced them with were far superior.

Not sure I get the point about Windolene - it doesn't seem any more or less effective than car-specific glass cleaner in my experience. I've never seen a household glass cleaner that makes windows greasy :confused:

Not sure I get the point about Windolene - it doesn't seem any more or less effective than car-specific glass cleaner in my experience. I've never seen a household glass cleaner that makes windows greasy :confused:
    My experience of it is it initially cleans glass great but very quick grim from the road sticks to it and it smears like hell. That's my experience anyways.

Just a quick google throws up this

https://glassdoctor.com/blog/fact-or-fiction-use-window-cleaner-to-clean-auto-glass

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

buy new blades,

use blades when frost on window

kill new blades - near instantly

listermint wrote: »
    buy new blades,

use blades when frost on window

kill new blades - near instantly

Yep:D Boiling water with a drop of white vinegar, rubber gloves and dry it off with newspaper, works every time.

Yep:D Boiling water with a drop of white vinegar, rubber gloves and dry it off with newspaper, works every time.

I wouldn't go near glass with boiling water.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near glass with boiling water.

I don't mean actually boiling boiling water, you know what I meant.

I don't mean actually boiling boiling water, you know what I meant.

Do you mean really really really hot water that's not boiling but which would still cause the glass to crack?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do you mean really really really hot water that's not boiling but which would still cause the glass to crack?

Never saw it happen yet, another urban myth.
    I'll make it simple.
    Put hot water in basin.
    Add some white vinegar.
    Carry basin out to car or get responsible adult to carry it.
    Get a new cloth from packet (Lidl ones are great).
    Clean windscreen and wiper blades with cloth.
    Dry off with newspaper.
    Sorted.

Before you ask.. No I don't know what temperature the water is, it's just hot.

• Advertisement

Never saw it happen yet, another urban myth.
    I've never seen a plane crash. Must be an urban myth.

And for the record I've seen hot water crack glass. :P

You gave very clear, written down, bad advice and then got in a huff when it was pointed out and said it's not what you meant, even though you took time to write down what you didn't mean very clearly as advice.

Don't put very hot water, or boiling water as you said, on glass.

Advertisement