Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabling ran ontop of central heating pipes

• 26-02-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭

A quick query for those on here.
    I recently looked at cabling which was ran from a new boiler to the hot water tank.
    Cabling jammed in tight beside piping or sitting on top of it.

Even if it is rated to X temperature, surely this isnt best practice?

img2.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dangerous, all it takes is a rodent to chew through the cable and you have a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

saabsaab wrote: »
    Dangerous, all it takes is a rodent to chew through the cable and you have a problem!

Whilst cables should never be placed on hot pipework (nor is T&E heat resistant) that's a bizarre statement.

It's always dangerous if a rodent chews through a cable and you always have a problem if that happens. If the insulation and sheath are perished that is dangerous always and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps just move the cable away from contact with the pipe. Just an inch would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

saabsaab wrote: »

So a cable on a hot pipe is more attractive to rodents than not on a hot pipe?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    So a cable on a hot pipe is more attractive to rodents than not on a hot pipe?

Yes.
    Sure we all prefer hot food

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Yes.
    Sure we all prefer hot food

Piping hot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thanks all, pretty much confirmed the madness of it I had.
    I have contacted the delightful people who ran it in like this.

adrian92 wrote: »
    Perhaps just move the cable away from contact with the pipe. Just an inch would be fine

No where to move it. floorboards sit flat on top. It was jammed in between the pipes and board shoved back down.

No where to move it. floorboards sit flat on top. It was jammed in between the pipes and board shoved back down.

Is it possible to lift the floorboards to enable the cable to be freed away from contact with the pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

Nothing will likely happen anyhow

I'd say any mouse would be electrocuted and trip RCD, if he makes an appearance

They have a habit of not chewing right down to the copper conductor ime

• Advertisement

I've never seen any real damage from a pvc cable in contact with a domestic CH flow/return pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

I've never seen any real damage from a pvc cable in contact with a domestic CH flow/return pipe

Try and bend it , it will crack

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Throw some lagging on the pipe. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks like they just didn't want to bother drilling the joists to run the cable through.

JL spark wrote: »
    Try and bend it , it will crack

It won't

Will from a higher temp like a flue pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pure laziness that is all as above they didn't have to bother cutting a new track or hole.

Made the job a few minutes quicker.

Some serious cowboys out there.

No end of them. Astonishing how bad some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

It won't

Will from a higher temp like a flue pipe

It will , 1980s house we are rewiring has it , hot press and floor boards ,

JL spark wrote: »
    It will , 1980s house we are rewiring has it , hot press and floor boards ,

I'll take your word for it

I'm a long time looking at cables never seen it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Throw some lagging on the pipe. Win win.
    Now that you mention lagging, if they're hot pipes, shouldn't there be lagging on them anyway? Plus could stop any potential friction wear (from expansion/contraction) between the pipes and/or the joists that could cause a leak

Ronan|Raven: what's the other plastic pipe for? It's to the right and drilled through the joist. If it's a cold pipe, perhaps that would be a better path, as the holes seem big enough.

• Advertisement

I take the point about lagging but from the op post seems very difficult to insert some form of insulation between the pipe and cable.

If there was some way to achieve even a small separation??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

byte wrote: »
    Now that you mention lagging, if they're hot pipes, shouldn't there be lagging on them anyway?

Depending on when the work was done, it probably wouldn't have been standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Hard to tell from the photo, what type of cable is it?

There is next to no space to pop insulation on the pipes and still have clearance for the floorboards and cabling.

The two plastic pipes were ran extra to create a hot water and CH zone. The copper pipes are the original pipes from when the house was built which feed upstairs rads etc.

The cable, I dont know, there is 0 markings on it. It is ran from boiler to hot water tank to motorised valves.

Pure laziness that is all as above they didn't have to bother cutting a new track or hole.

Made the job a few minutes quicker.

They will be coming back to fix it, will go to regs if I need to.

Is the cable grey and flat or round and white? Might be heat resistant flex

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kramer1 wrote: »
    Is the cable grey and flat or round and white? Might be heat resistant flex

It's twin and earth.

It's twin and earth.

Probably not great so

Advertisement