Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Increase in dangerous driving

Options
  • 26-02-2020 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

There is a marked increase in dangerous driving and speeding lately.

I drive always at the speed limit on the button using cruise control (verified by my car's speedometers and a gps, so my Speedo isn't over displaying). My car has two in built Speedos, a digital one and a dial and I also use a phone GPs.

Even though I'm driving at the speed limit on the button, lots of cars still overtake me including coach and lorry drivers.

I'm thinking of sending the dash cam footage to their employers.

What can be done to reduce speeding (ie, dangerous driving)?

Should speeding penalties be tougher? 66 votes

No, they're adequate as is.
    0%
    No, they're too strict as is.
    46%
    Atomic Pineappleednwirelandmoby2101LIGHTNINGmp3guyDiemosWibbsR.O.Rhi5daingeanrobcherryghosttracoconor2469Lan Dinewmember2YbFocusmc25whomitconcerns[Deleted User]GustavoFring 31 votes
    They should be more severe and proportional to the excess speed.
    53%
    sdanseoi57dwun4yb1pt8paulosAndrewf20Voodoomelon[Deleted User]Darth Melkor[Deleted User]kennethsmythrex-xChris_HeilongBronsonTBninja 12Midnight_EGmad-for-tarmurphyebassWailintcawley29jk23chocksaway 35 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Close the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Crock Rock wrote:

It ll probably just be ignored, but work away if it makes you feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Speeding is not the same as dangerous driving.. But I guess you know that and are just looking to start arguments. Enjoy... I'm not biting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

You sound like the kind of driver I'd hate to be stuck behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It ll probably just be ignored, but work away if it makes you feel better

I'll send it into traffic watch and make a statement in court . If they lose their licence and thus their job I'd be delighted. A fitting punishment.

• Advertisement

You sound like the kind of driver I'd hate to be stuck behind

What do you mean stuck behind? I'm already doing the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Crock Rock wrote: »
    What do you mean stuck behind? I'm already doing the speed limit.

Nah, you're just looking to create an edgy thread. It's very early inbthe morning for this Craic

Why would you want to overtake me when I'm already driving at the limit?

We should have speed cameras everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Let me guess, "I'm doing the speed limit, I can sit here in the fast lane for my whole journey and anyone trying to pass me is just a bad driver and I'm going to make the roads safer by blocking them"

Snotty wrote: »
    Let me guess, "I'm doing the speed limit, I can sit here in the fast lane for my whole journey and anyone trying to pass me is just a bad driver and I'm going to make the roads safer by blocking them"

What's this "fast lane" you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Snotty wrote: »

Hes talking about people over taking him. It reads like they are on single lane roads for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Speeding is not the same as dangerous driving.. But I guess you know that and are just looking to start arguments. Enjoy... I'm not biting

Depends. I've seen plenty of people plough on at well north if 120 In poor driving
    Conditions On the motorways. Latest was on the M7 to limerick a few weeks ago in sleet / hail. Some crazy manoeuvres given the road condition.

Impatience is also rampant now. Chances you'll be blown out of it for stopping at an Amber or red. The norm is to carry on and I've nearly been rear ended a few times. Roundabouts and junctions as well- people don't stop, even when they don't have right I'd way. Just carry on and expect the car with right of way to slow / stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two problems.
    Firstly fill like OP who are all self righteous driving speed limits and no more ever ever are a pain in the arse, many many speed limits are inappropriate for the roads, better drivers drive with the flow of traffic unless it’s specifically dangerous like residential areas etc.

Secondly, we’re in a boom. Car ownership and driving always increases and we see people who aren’t suitable taking to the roads. Poor lame discipline, poor road positioning at junctions, bad use of roundabouts.

I drive always at the speed limit on the button using cruise control (verified by my car's speedometers and a gps, so my Speedo isn't over displaying). My car has two in built Speedos, a digital one and a dial and I also use a phone GPs.

Even though I'm driving at the speed limit on the button, lots of cars still overtake me including coach and lorry drivers.

Nobody is condoning actual dangerous driving but 130 kph on a good motorway is not dangerous

Have 2 questions for you?

1. Are you that prick driving 120 in the overtaking lane blocking people?

2. How safe is it checking your phone gps while driving?

You’re wasting your time in the motors forum. The general line of thought here is that you’re wrong if you’re not speeding. Everyone will do what suits them the best and will throw out every excuse under the sun to justify it.

glasso wrote: »
    Nobody is condoning actual dangerous driving but 130 kph on a good motorway is not dangerous

Have 2 questions for you?

1. Are you that prick driving 120 in the overtaking lane blocking people?

2. How safe is it checking your phone gps while driving?

1) No. I always keep left unless overtaking.
    I am frequently overtaken on 1+1 roads.

2) A cursory glance whilst using navigation app, I drive to a lot of unknown places for work. There is a speed stamp on the corner.

_Brian wrote: »
    Two problems.
    Firstly fill like OP who are all self righteous driving speed limits and no more ever ever are a pain in the arse, many many speed limits are inappropriate for the roads, better drivers drive with the flow of traffic unless it’s specifically dangerous like residential areas etc.

Secondly, we’re in a boom. Car ownership and driving always increases and we see people who aren’t suitable taking to the roads. Poor lame discipline, poor road positioning at junctions, bad use of roundabouts.

It's not for the driver to decide to go faster if they feel the road was rated too low. If you are keeping up with other people speeding, you are just driving by peer pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

As someone said, speeding is not the same as dangerous driving, it may be illegal, but not necessarily dangerous.

A calm sunny day on the M8/M4 etc. with little traffic, then doing 130 in a 120 is probably not dangerous. On the same road, but its dark, windy, freezing, lashing rain, with heavy traffic, then doing 115 in a 120 zone is probably dangerous.

I know drivers that do the speed limit everywhere, even if the road conditions don't allow it - I'm terrified of getting in the car with them. Adjust your speed for the road conditions, if you want to do the speed limit on a motorway, keep left and let other people do what they want, it's not your job to enforce the law.

As someone said, speeding is not the same as dangerous driving, it may be illegal, but not necessarily dangerous.

A calm sunny day on the M8/M4 etc. with little traffic, then doing 130 in a 120 is probably not dangerous. On the same road, but its dark, windy, freezing, lashing rain, with heavy traffic, then doing 115 in a 120 zone is probably dangerous.

I know drivers that do the speed limit everywhere, even if the road conditions don't allow it - I'm terrified of getting in the car with them. Adjust your speed for the road conditions, if you want to do the speed limit on a motorway, keep left and let other people do what they want, it's not your job to enforce the law.

This is exactly what I meant about tying yourself in knots with convoluted ways to justify what is simply suiting yourself. Never seems to click that you can go slower in bad conditions without breaking the limits in dry conditions.
    People that speed obviously don’t care about other road users so I don’t know why they can’t just front up and say it’s because that’s what they want to do rather than the lame excuses.

We do have a duty to report criminal offences, speeding is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement

I'll send it into traffic watch and make a statement in court . If they lose their licence and thus their job I'd be delighted. A fitting punishment.

fair play to you, keep the lads in the dole office in a job i guess, and possibly some charities going also

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    fair play to you, keep the lads in the dole office in a job i guess, and possibly some charities going also

They're keeping themselves in the dole office by breaking the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

This is exactly what I meant about tying yourself in knots with convoluted ways to justify what is simply suiting yourself. Never seems to click that you can go slower in bad conditions without breaking the limits in dry conditions.
    People that speed obviously don’t care about other road users so I don’t know why they can’t just front up and say it’s because that’s what they want to do rather than the lame excuses.

Of course it is to suit yourself, as is driving at 80 on a motorway, as is sitting in the outside lane.

If you are going from Dublin to Cork the limit is 120 most of the way. If you travel at certain times, that road is nearly empty, so doing 130 is not as dangerous, as there aren't many other road users to watch out for, you rarely need to change lane, and you can often see 2 km ahead of you. You can trim 15 mins off your journey each way, so that's 30 mins extra at home with the family without driving dangerously.

As I said, you change your driving to suit the road conditions, if the road is busier, I'm not going to drive at 130 or 140 swerving in and out of lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I’m not sure that I’m seeing any major agressive driving on motorways here, certainly not on long distance routes but, there’s an uptick in braking of red lights, particularly in Dublin and to a degree in Cork. You’re also getting a a lot of really stupid stuff on the M50, N40 and other motorways / DCs - agressive and unnecessary lane changes and weaving, blocking merging traffic and so on. A lot of that has to do with bad congestion and frustration and points to inadequate infrastructure in both of those cities.

I would actually say the most dangerous aspect of driving here at the moment is probably urban speeding. I don’t mean the people doing 50 in the 30 zones as much as people doing 70 and 80 on suburban streets.

The other one that absolutely infuriates me and I’m seeing it in both Dublin and Cork is people driving while texting. I’ve seen it even directly outside schools. Saw a woman in Cork using her phone, to access social media by the looks of it, while reversing and manoeuvring outside a busy school drop off point with young kids wandering around.

Some people seem to just have no cop on at all.

They're keeping themselves in the dole office by breaking the rules.

pushing boundaries and breaking rules is fairly normal human behavior, it can in fact be fun, its also good that some rules are challenged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

It's a limit, not a target etc etc etc

You're going to extraordinary lengths to avoid using any judgement on conditions and traffic levels. Small victories, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your car is doing the speed limit when displaying the same speed on the speedo your car is defective, EU law requires all vehicles to overread their speed, and you should report yourself for driving a defective vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I drive always at the speed limit on the button

Dangerous behavior IMO OP. You should always drive to suit the conditions. The road was icy this morning and I couldn't safely do the 80kph speed limit. you need to improve your driving style as that could prove very hazardous to other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Del2005 wrote: »
    If your car is doing the speed limit when displaying the same speed on the speedo your car is defective, EU law requires all vehicles to overread their speed, and you should report yourself for driving a defective vehicle.

So it’s an offence if your cars speedometer is accurate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement