Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

FatRat wrote: »
    Well there you have it. Cancel your flights and plans for Aintree. I thought you said you were done scaring people and would say no more on it and leave the thread. Wasn't too bothered by it before but it's starting to take the piss now.

How about we use this thread for factual, reported news only? Might be an idea.

Do you know what, with all due respect to a lot of ye here that i always have the craic with, would ye ever cop the f**k on

Ye think I WANT this to get cancelled??!! Me!
    The fella who started a thread 240 f*ckin days ago with a countdown to this very festival!! A thread most of ye have been on!

Went into work on Jan 2nd and booked the week off and has hardly shut up about it since....ye think I am scare mongering and WANT it called off!

Very few people in my social circle are into racing, its not exactly s hot topic of chat among them, so if i want to be able to chat about it with lads i feel will understand where we are coming from, I come here, and ya, i said i wouldn't say anymore, but the closer it gets the more nervous I get so get the f**k over yourselves

If you don't like people discussing their fears for the most important week of the year.....ye know what ye can do!!

And yes, I realise i made a total tit of myself above...................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I have similar nerves and fears but that's all they are at the end of the day. They're not facts. What's to happen will happen, best not to kill yourself thinking about it.

My issue is that people are fickle Roger, especially people just stopping by to check what the status of the racing is. It's best not to post statements like the racing will be cancelled when there's only speculation to back it up. It's given even more weight by the fact that someone has posted it on a popular racing forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

And yes, I realise i made a total tit of myself above...................

Rog, if you were a horse race...... it would be cancelled or called off.

I have similar nerves and fears but that's all they are at the end of the day. They're not facts. What's to happen will happen, best not to kill yourself thinking about it.

My issue is that people are fickle Roger, especially people just stopping by to check what the status of the racing is. It's best not to post statements like the racing will be cancelled when there's only speculation to back it up. It's given even more weight by the fact that someone has posted it on a popular racing forum.

So we should ignore and deflect from, without question, the single biggest talking point in racing right now is it?

There are far more chats amongst fans about whether we will have racing than who will win the supreme, if on a racing specific forum, we cant have similar discussions without being labelled a scare monger and a sensationalist etc then what the feck

I think my credentials as a Cheltenham fan are pretty bloody solid so to have lads going after me for wanting to discuss this is bloody annoying to be honest

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Rog, if you were a horse race...... it would be cancelled or called off.

I see what you did there, and I will give you that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Compiegne in France racing behind closed doors next week. Meeting of UK emergency commitee COBRA on Monday. I think we will know after that. Not optimistic myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

It would be a fairly quite forum if people were only allowed to post facts here!

Just today I have been asked by three different people if Cheltenham will go ahead, none of them would know the front end from the back end of a horse, it is a topical issue and of course it should be discussed here.

Only one thing worse that scare-mongering and thats burying ones head in the sand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

So we should ignore and deflect from, without question, the single biggest talking point in racing right now is it?

There are far more chats amongst fans about whether we will have racing than who will win the supreme, if on a racing specific forum, we cant have similar discussions without being labelled a scare monger and a sensationalist etc then what the feck

I think my credentials as a Cheltenham fan are pretty bloody solid so to have lads going after me for wanting to discuss this is bloody annoying to be honest

Roger my quip was that you said the Aintree festival will be cancelled. How about we leave this up to the BHA or UK government to decide.

By all means discuss away. I think I'll take leave from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

1.68 - Yes
    2.44 - No
    460k traded

• Advertisement

Roger my quip was that you said the Aintree festival will be cancelled. How about we leave this up to the BHA or UK government to decide.

By all means discuss away. I think I'll take leave from this thread.

We won't fall out over it lad
    Ah I just wish they could make a call one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

We won't fall out over it lad
    Ah I just wish they could make a call one way or another

It's too early yet to be making any calls, so much could change in a week, much more at stake than us losing money on flights and accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It would be a fairly quite forum if people were only allowed to post facts here!
    True. 90+% of posts are bull5hit.
    But that is ok, we circle the truth with different ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

England play Wales in the rugby next saturday, full premier league schedule next weekend, and all the media are talking about is will Cheltenham go ahead?

tucker1971 wrote: »
    England play Wales in the rugby next saturday, full premier league schedule next weekend, and all the media are talking about is will Cheltenham go ahead?

In fairness the only media I have heard it being discussed by is the racing media. I have not heard it yet from the mainstream media.

But you are spot on, no one is talking about cancelling rugby or soccer or the likes.

Saying that all week
    why is it only Cheltenham being hounded
    maybe its because we exist in an echo chamber on social media and so on, who knows

I can assure you that people in the UK are talking about soccer and rugby being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Saying that all week
    why is it only Cheltenham being hounded
    maybe its because we exist in an echo chamber on social media and so on, who knows

Soccer and rugby don’t matter it’s all about horse racing:)

Echo echo echo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I can assure you that people in the UK are talking about soccer and rugby being cancelled.

Yes, down the line. Not next weekends fixtures though.

Nothing like to the same extent, whatsoever

• Advertisement

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Yes, down the line. Not next weekends fixtures though.

As I said earlier there is a meeting of COBRA on Monday. Let's see what comes out of that.

As I said earlier there is a meeting of COBRA on Monday. Let's see what comes out of that.

They sound like the bad guys in a Bond movie.

Spectre%2BBlofeld%2Bcat.jpg

Did you recently learn how to post images on here!
    Thats 3 today!

Didn't know you were allowed post pictures of the Category Mods. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Pogue eile wrote: »
    The Italian situation is a bit of an outlier, they - in true Italian tradition - made a complete balls up of the whole situation and by the time they got their shi*t together it was too late. There have been plenty of isolated cases across Europe and none of them have escalated like in Italy.

I hope you're right ,I want aidankkk to collect a few bob on his bet . I just can't help feeling a little flat when normally I'd be very excited at this stage of the countdown.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

I believe it is " Cabinet Office Briefing Room Alpha "that COBRA its an acronym for

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭supremenovice

French Government bans gatherings of more than 5,000 people.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/french-ban-on-gatherings-of-more-than-5000-people-casts-doubt-over-irelands-six-nations-clash-in-paris-39001959.html

I'm usually dismissive of the media sensationalizing stories, but I have to say this throws a cat among the pigeons.
    Will the British Government respond with similar measures over the next few days? I'd say its getting closer to Festival postponement than away from it as each day passes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

6/4 on a cancellation looks like a NAP bet

Events that look ideal for spreading a virus are tournament poker festivals.
    It is usual to have almost a thousand to be in one room for about ten hours a day, and from three days to a week. Players and dealers can be from many countries.

The Geneva car show was cancelled, an indoor crowded event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

This is getting quite serious. 3 new positive tests in UK today. There is a stage that they will say enough.

The French are having the Compiegne race meetings next week behind closed doors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement