Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fabric supplies / Cork or Online

• 18-02-2020 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got a sewing machine for Christmas and love playing with it. I have made the normal starter stuff (bags, cushions etc.) and have made a successful Fisherman's Smock out of Denim and a couple of caps.

I want to expand my ambitions a bit (flannel grandfather shirts, a couple of more smocks) but I am finding it difficult to find the fabrics. There appears to be 2 places in Cork (Vibes & Scribes and Hickeys) but they both appear to, ahem, have a different demographic to me. (Did I mention I am a middle-aged man?).

In particular I am looking for a tough blue cotton (rugby shorts material), a striped flannel (grandfather shirt material) and a very light strong material (Silk?) to make a Kite.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Maybe have another look in Vibes and Scribes, as they do have some of the 'traditional' fabric you are looking for. Thin nylon lining is good for kites.

poundfabrics.co.uk has good value (ie cheap) materials and although it is a bit hit and miss, it's worth a look.

There is a Fabric outlet place in St Patrick Woolen mills in Douglas that has a huge range of curtain and upholstery materials, including curtain linings, which are good for all sorts of projects.

Have fun, it's a great hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Thanks Diziet. The people in V&S were wonderful and they enjoyed the fact I was 'not their standard' customer. But the range really was aimed at a different demographic. I really wanted to buy but could only find a denim that was any way suitable.

Nylon is the obvious choice for a kite (duh). Will check out poundfabrics.co.uk,

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rosemary1992

Might be worth your while looking in charity shops, esp for the flannel material. Presuming that would be enough of a stretch of fabric? Plus good cause :)

Thanks for that Rosemary. i am more looking for a good regular supply rather than an occasional lucky one.

Diziet - Ordered some fabric from poundfabrics last night. Great site but a bit deceptive - the postage was as dear as the Fabric. I ordered £15 worth of cloth and the final bill was €35 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

donalh087 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Rosemary. i am more looking for a good regular supply rather than an occasional lucky one.

Diziet - Ordered some fabric from poundfabrics last night. Great site but a bit deceptive - the postage was as dear as the Fabric. I ordered £15 worth of cloth and the final bill was €35 !!

Parcel Motel is your friend - next time :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

The Fabric Counter in Dublin 7.
    https://thefabriccounter.ie

Have a look in their online shop and email them if you don't see what you want. They have an huge selection that you just don't find in the usual fabric stores.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Be wary when shopping online for fabric, I got stung before on post and taxes.

A lot of sites that will show up are US based and you will pay an eye watering amount of postage on top of what you think is a reasonable price for fabric and likely get stung with customs taxes on delivery as well.

I've found MyFabricsUK to be a good resource. They actually ship from Germany so there isn't any customs taxes. They would also stock a good variety of unusual fabrics and other haberdashery for more utilitarian projects. QuiltYarnStitch have some lovely stuff as well and their online shop is very good. I've ordered from Ali Express as well and it was also good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Minerva Crafts also do a good range of fabrics, with a fixed postage charge (not sure how long that will last now).

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

There's a shop called Wayward Co. on Kyle Street in Cork (next to the Theatre Tea House). The shop sells a mixture of antique old fabric, buttons etc. Their range changes all the time, so you never really know what they're going to have - but the prices are great and they have some really interesting stuff.
    Just saw on their Instagram page today that they have a load of Irish linen now in stock (seems to be plaids and check types) so might be of use to you.

Thats cool Millypenny - can you remember the Insta page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Their Instagram page is Waywardco.

Quilt Yarn Stitch (based in Tuam) are good as well, they mostly stock quilting fabrics, but have really increased their dress-making fabrics over the past few years. They have lots of different fabric types including corduroy, denim, leather, cork, canvas etc. www.quiltyarnstitch.com

First delivery from poundfabrics yesterday. In fairness, its a lot of cloth for a little money. I ordered 3 batches of 3 metres. Two of them were perfect - one less so. Still great value. Cheers Diziet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you have the time, spin up to Newbridge Co. Kildare and you have the massive Fabric Outlet that sells all fabrics at 4.99.

Mostly end of line / end of roll, but the choice is utterly massive and they are grouped in colours. So of you want blue, you rummage in the blue area.

Its located next to Newbridge Silverware at the back of whitewater SC and about 15 min walk from the train station

Website also says they have an outlet in Unit 28, St Patricks Woolen Mills, Douglas Cork
    https://www.facebook.com/fabricoutletcork
    http://fabricoutlet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If you regularly buy fabric/stuff from the U.K. consider using AddressPal via An Post. That way you can avail of free or cheaper UK postage costs because some suppliers will charge more for delivery to Belfast (depot used by parcel Wizard/DPD).

The Mill factory shops in the north of England usually have plentiful supplies at good prices. Here’s 3 to get you started.

https://www.croftmill.co.uk/

https://www.empressmills.co.uk/

https://www.abakhan.co.uk/

Thanks Minnie - I use Parcel Motel, Address Pal does my nut in. PM is much quicker.

Those mill shops look great. Will need an extra room soon for all the Fabric :-)

Ref two previous posts - Fabric Outlet in Cork is brilliant - masses of fabric all for the same price. Go in with time to spare, it will take a while to browse.
    I got 16 m of embroidered curtain fabric, same of lining, 6m of tapestry, and some (cant remember how much, enough for two smaller windows) linen look fabric, all at €5 a meter, plus an offcut of upholstery fabric, enough to re-cover a footstool, for €2.

Croft Mill meanwhile is great, lovely quality fabric though you may have to wait to see what comes in - sign up for their newsletter.

Rancid wrote: »
    The Fabric Counter in Dublin 7.
    https://thefabriccounter.ie

Have a look in their online shop and email them if you don't see what you want. They have an huge selection that you just don't find in the usual fabric stores.

Oh, heaven! I just casually clicked on the link and saw at least two fabrics that would suit for something I have been trying to figure out for a while!!

Advertisement