Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker Shoot Out

Options
  • 17-02-2020 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Always a bit of fun this tournament starts on Thursday. I’m not too sure about it now being an actual ranking event but either way the 50 grand on offer can’t be sniffed at. All live on Eurosport from Thursday until Sunday.

There’s a couple of decent matches in the first round

Jimmy White v Matt Stevens
    Robbie McGuigan v Aaron Hill
    Mark Williams v Luca Brecel
    Alan McManus v Ronnie O’Sullivan

Here’s the link to the draw

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Sessions/Tournament/14124/betvictor-shoot-out-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnie vs McManus should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I hate this but end up watching it every year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can just about digest it. Has to be on mute, though. Dont know this year, but always pains me to hear the great Clive Everton being reduced to commentating on this.

Still a last chance for a player to qualify for players championship, maybe even knock ronnie out in the process.

McGuigan v Hill an interesting all irish clash.

Its a bit darts alright but a bit of less intensive fun for the players too.

Dont know do those guys still shout "yellowww" after every red is potted but i cant be listening to that. Otherwise, no objection to the format, just should not be a ranking event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Can just about digest it. Has to be on mute, though. Dont know this year, but always pains me to hear the great Clive Everton being reduced to commentating on this.

Still a last chance for a player to qualify for players championship, maybe even knock ronnie out in the process.

McGuigan v Hill an interesting all irish clash.

Lovely player young McGuigan , looking forward to watching him play again.

McGuigans had a pretty decent season on the challenge circuit, still an outside chance of getting his main tour card for next year. Still only 15 so just looks a matter of time, all good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't watch stuff like this. On principle. I don't see other sports changing their format for what I think is to reach to a wider audience - as if there was a push to find a format for snooker that's a bit more 'populist'.

Golf does totally fine the way it is. They do have variations like the Ryder cup but that's not done to change the game. Snooker should stay the way it is, and having said that I'm not even happy with the way matches have been shortened, especially in the UK Championships. I'd like to see this reversed. 'Come backs' are not something you see much of anymore and that's because there's no scope for it, although they still do happen. But it's more fun in long drawn out matches.

If snooker stays exactly the way it is, i.e. largely UK based, then I'm happy with that. If it should go global I think it should do so on it's own merit's and not be changed to force it to do so. GAA isn't global and why should it. Is it any less worthy because it isn't. Why does everything have to be global anyway. If snooker becomes more popular worldwide - fine, if it doesn't, fine too. I don't ever see Snooker loosing it's popularity here or in the UK. I don't think Snooker is under serious threat for lack of global recognition. There are no pool events on TV here and I think a lot of western European pool players enjoy watching snooker and learn a lot from it. It's just the same thing basically. I think sometimes we forget what we have and try to fix things that aren't broken.

Unfortunately snooker is losing popularity in these parts. The number of clubs has gone way down, there's barely a UK/Ireland pro under 30 even making a living from snooker. It needs to be 'global' to survive, both in terms of talent and audiences/sponsorship. If gambling sponsorship was banned in the morning, professional snooker would do well to survive. The only way to cushion that is to increase and diversify the audience to the point where you might some day have the HSBC World Snooker Championship etc.. Look at what happened before Barry Hearn came in...they were expecting the same formula that worked in the 80s to keep on working and it nearly died (6 ranking events a year). Love him or hate him, he's kept the professional game alive.

I'm not a hearn fan so try not to let that spill into unfair criticism or undue bias on my part. Some of the things that have been done are good - the coral series for one, good idea, well executed. Globalisation is fine too, though hearn didnt create that. Snooker has been growing globally for decades, hearn just tapped into it and sped it along as it made business sense to do so and, first and foremost, hearn is a businessman.

I would slightly disgree with the oft repeated assertion that snooker would be dead only for barry hearn. He wasnt the only guy bidding for it when it came up for tender a decade ago, lot of support for the rival bid, only players being the conservative bunch they are, opted for the devil they knew. Probably no regrets on that front to be fair, but snooker would have continued on regardless.

• Advertisement

I'm not a hearn fan so try not to let that spill into unfair criticism or undue bias on my part. Some of the things that have been done are good - the coral series for one, good idea, well executed. Globalisation is fine too, though hearn didnt create that. Snooker has been growing globally for decades, hearn just tapped into it and sped it along as it made business sense to do so and, first and foremost, hearn is a businessman.

I would slightly disgree with the oft repeated assertion that snooker would be dead only for barry hearn. He wasnt the only guy bidding for it when it came up for tender a decade ago, lot of support for the rival bid, only players being the conservative bunch they are, opted for the devil they knew. Probably no regrets on that front to be fair, but snooker would have continued on regardless.

Have to question that statement, snooker wasn’t growing globally at the time Hearn took over. In fact it was in huge trouble with massive financial losses each season. Pros were part time with at best six events per season all under the guidance of one Sir Rodney Walker suffice to stay snookers day were truly numbered when the tobacco sponsorship ban came along too. Prize money in some events was duly then made up of entry fees hence the low prize funds. Hard to really see how it would have continued.

The other rival bid never materialised as one of the bidders Brandon Parker simply didn’t have the backing. Parker is now however involved with World Snooker as a director.

Hearn won the players vote and now runs World Snooker the promotional side of the sport. The WPBSA run the playing side albeit this has changed now to the WST.

Hearn was true to his word and now players are earning massive amounts , nothing like tennis or golf stars for example but they are becoming millionaires.

Prize money has increased to almost £15 million per season and keeps increasing. Every event has a sponsor alongside minor sponsors. World Snooker have an office in Beijing further expanding its growth in the Far East.

The coaching set up which was flawed is now one of the most professionally run courses with fully qualified coaches now set up across the globe.

And it continues to grow with the recent announcement of the new event in Saudi Arabia, a ten year contract with £500K on offer for the winner.

Alongside the extended Eurosport & BBC contracts its a completely different game now to when Barry Hearn took over the promotional end of the game in 2010

No, i wasnt referring to tour structures, but actual numbers playing the game. Don't think there's any question the game has been declining in terms of numbers here but growing exponentially across europe and Asia since the 80s or 90s. That was there to tap into. Just made sense.

There were 2 rival bids on the table, hearns and the one fronted by John Davidson. The players voted 35-29 to go with hearn. Impossible to say how it would have gone if they didnt, but the assertion made by many - including hearn himself - that he singlehandedly saved pro snooker from extinction just isnt valid.

A lot of people love him and what he's done which is fair enough. I guess I'm just old school, so find it hard to forgive what he did to the uk championships. That was a wilful act of vandalism as far as I'm concerned.

No, i wasnt referring to tour structures, but actual numbers playing the game. Don't think there's any question the game has been declining in terms of numbers here but growing exponentially across europe and Asia since the 80s or 90s. That was there to tap into. Just made sense.

There were 2 rival bids on the table, hearns and the one fronted by John Davidson. The players voted 35-29 to go with hearn. Impossible to say how it would have gone if they didnt, but the assertion made by many - including hearn himself - that he singlehandedly saved pro snooker from extinction just isnt valid.

A lot of people love him and what he's done which is fair enough. I guess I'm just old school, so find it hard to forgive what he did to the uk championships. That was a wilful act of vandalism as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely, and you won’t meet anyone more old school than me ! But you’re correct the UK has been damaged by shortening the matches I suppose though it could have been worse and the matches could have been best of 9 but you’d never get through the matches with the old format of best of 17 especially with 128 players involved. Davidson was part of the Parker consortium but they did t have the backing and to be honest I’m happy they didn’t win the vote.

I recall Mark Allen mouthing off that it was a disgrace that Hearn was allowed take over the promotional side of the game but I always wonder what does Allen’s accountant think these days considering the money Allen has won !

Hearn likes to talk and I do enjoy listening to him as he doesn’t suffer fools gladly but in my opinion and it’s just my opinion Snooker wouldn’t be we’re it is now if he hadn’t won that vote.

As for this Shoot Out, it’s only a bit of fun, no one is forced to play in it but it’s a handy few Bob for a few frames of snooker.

FR01 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and you won’t meet anyone more old school than me ! But you’re correct the UK has been damaged by shortening the matches I suppose though it could have been worse and the matches could have been best of 9 but you’d never get through the matches with the old format of best of 17 especially with 128 players involved. Davidson was part of the Parker consortium but they did t have the backing and to be honest I’m happy they didn’t win the vote.

I recall Mark Allen mouthing off that it was a disgrace that Hearn was allowed take over the promotional side of the game but I always wonder what does Allen’s accountant think these days considering the money Allen has won !

Hearn likes to talk and I do enjoy listening to him as he doesn’t suffer fools gladly but in my opinion and it’s just my opinion Snooker wouldn’t be we’re it is now if he hadn’t won that vote.

As for this Shoot Out, it’s only a bit of fun, no one is forced to play in it but it’s a handy few Bob for a few frames of snooker.

They never voted on the davison proposal, just the hearn one. So in theory if hearn had been knocked back, davison was there as a fall back. Just that hearn wasnt the only option there and pro game wasnt necessarily dead without him, thats as much as I'd say about it. The real tragedy was they'd humiliated davison when he'd first made an offer in early 00s. Game might never have needed any saving at all if players hadnt commited that gross act of stupidity.

I think allens point might have been hearn getting it too cheaply, or that there should have been a time limit on it. But those are all old battles now. I wouldnt deny a lot of progress has been made, that would be ridiculous, but there's too much about the system - uk champs, best of 7s, 128 draw, easy pockets and more - that dont sit right with me. You have a season built largely around short format and then you get to marathon of sheffield and I'm not sure players are conditioned properly for it. Not having a proper old school uk champs only exacerbates that imo.

Watched a bit of shootout earlier, great break by one of the chinese lads, probably one of the breaks of the season. Bored with it after a few matches though. Bring back Pot Black ;-)

They never voted on the davison proposal, just the hearn one. So in theory if hearn had been knocked back, davison was there as a fall back. Just that hearn wasnt the only option there and pro game wasnt necessarily dead without him, thats as much as I'd say about it. The real tragedy was they'd humiliated davison when he'd first made an offer in early 00s. Game might never have needed any saving at all if players hadnt commited that gross act of stupidity.

I think allens point might have been hearn getting it too cheaply, or that there should have been a time limit on it. But those are all old battles now. I wouldnt deny a lot of progress has been made, that would be ridiculous, but there's too much about the system - uk champs, best of 7s, 128 draw, easy pockets and more - that dont sit right with me. You have a season built largely around short format and then you get to marathon of sheffield and I'm not sure players are conditioned properly for it. Not having a proper old school uk champs only exacerbates that imo.

Watched a bit of shootout earlier, great break by one of the chinese lads, probably one of the breaks of the season. Bored with it after a few matches though. Bring back Pot Black ;-)

And there’s one of the biggest misconceptions about pro snooker - easy pockets. Absolute nonsense, as I say to everyone try playing on one of those tables and you’ll see how ‘big’ the pockets are !

And yes bring back Pot Black !

And there’s one of the biggest misconceptions about pro snooker - easy pockets. Absolute nonsense, as I say to everyone try playing on one of those tables and you’ll see how ‘big’ the pockets are !

And yes bring back Pot Black !

I wouldnt say its about comparing club tables to pro star tables. Its comparing the tables now to the ones maybe 10 or 15 years ago. When you hear the likes of hendry and others exclaim "how on earth did that drop?" over and over again during commentary i think its clear something is going on. Likely due to the slide off the thin cloths rather than pocket openings themselves.

Just my opinion but i dont see why they need these lightning quick cloths anyway. What was wrong that they needed to do this? Is it just so to make it easier to get tons and then proclaim how brilliant all these players are. Like i said, I'm old school, i grew up in a time when snooker was meant to be, like, really really hard!

I wouldnt say its about comparing club tables to pro star tables. Its comparing the tables now to the ones maybe 10 or 15 years ago. When you hear the likes of hendry and others exclaim "how on earth did that drop?" over and over again during commentary i think its clear something is going on. Likely due to the slide off the thin cloths rather than pocket openings themselves.

Just my opinion but i dont see why they need these lightning quick cloths anyway. What was wrong that they needed to do this? Is it just so to make it easier to get tons and then proclaim how brilliant all these players are. Like i said, I'm old school, i grew up in a time when snooker was meant to be, like, really really hard!

The lighter cloths ended a lot of pro careers even before they took off ! Heavier cloths you won’t get anyway near as fast when they hold the events overseas due to humidity etc.

And with the new match cloths they finally have consistency with the speed on the bed and cushions.

Snooker still is hard, very hard, the standard is just so high now

The lighter cloths ended a lot of pro careers even before they took off ! Heavier cloths you won’t get anyway near as fast when they hold the events overseas due to humidity etc.

And with the new match cloths they finally have consistency with the speed on the bed and cushions.

Snooker still is hard, very hard, the standard is just so high now

Perhaps. When i see a ball strike a cushion 4-5 inches before the pocket and still drop, a small bit of my snooker heart dies inside. If the standard is so incredibly high nowadays, i dont know why they need to have it like this.

Perhaps. When i see a ball strike a cushion 4-5 inches before the pocket and still drop, a small bit of my snooker heart dies inside. If the standard is so incredibly high nowadays, i dont know why they need to have it like this.

Believe it or not the pockets are very tight ! All templated to the exact size, a lot smaller that your average club table ! I know only too well !

Believe it or not the pockets are very tight ! All templated to the exact size, a lot smaller that your average club table ! I know only too well !

Its not the pocket size though. Its the thinness of the cloths - causes the balls to slide into pockets more easily. This shouldn't be in dispute. The bbc did a piece with a crucible table fitter a couple of years back who explained how they had to lessen the bump on the pockets because the cloth was ripping too easily, hence balls were more liable to rattle and drop than stay out.

I'm not suggesting people have to be up in arms about this, just should be more aware. If i have an issue with it, its just probably because i really am more old school than others!

• Advertisement

There was a time when a ball on the black cushion was a glimmer of hope if your opponent was in. Nowadays they're able to power them in with screw. Something has changed over the years for sure. The main conspiracy theory is that the fall has been rounded off.

Its not just pockets either. The balls are lighter and there's less static so its not like yesteryear when trying to split a pack you'd have to push the cue through with an almighty heave. You dont have to hit the ball that hard anymore, guys like mark allen or marco fu might have struggled in the old days with their lack of cue power. Its still an advantage to have it, but you can get by fairly ok without it on these tables.

Its not just pockets either. The balls are lighter and there's less static so its not like yesteryear when trying to split a pack you'd have to push the cue through with an almighty heave. You dont have to hit the ball that hard anymore, guys like mark allen or marco fu might have struggled in the old days with their lack of cue power. Its still an advantage to have it, but you can get by fairly ok without it on these tables.

Don’t forget the heaters under the table also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The moronic whooping and hollering from the crowd ruins this. What's the story with it?

The moronic whooping and hollering from the crowd ruins this. What's the story with it?

Its part of the allure of the fun and novelty of the event. Supposedly. That kid shouting ole after every shot was getting on my wick a bit today. Not sure williams should have been encouraging him!

Few of the irish guys on tomorrow afternoon. Will tune in for them for half an hour.

Poor old Jimmy White. He missed a medium length rest shot last night by a foot.

Nice outing for Aaron Hill there. Foulds very complimentary. Poor mcguigan bit like a deer caught in the headlights, can put it down to experience.

Nice outing for Aaron Hill there. Foulds very complimentary. Poor mcguigan bit like a deer caught in the headlights, can put it down to experience.

Absolutely, I felt sorry for him there !! Would love to see Hill get a good run in this

Absolutely, I felt sorry for him there !! Would love to see Hill get a good run in this

Hill looked very composed for a guy who wouldn't have experienced that kind of atmosphere before. So did Bulman after him. Good to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Tried watching it for a while but had to switch off. Where do they find the crowd? Local Spoons?

Advertisement