Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uninsured driver hit my parked car. What to do?

Options
  • 07-02-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭

Based on what I know so far a schoolboy from a local school who is a learner driver usually on his mothers car, took his fathers powerful Audi Saloon to school/for a drive with a mate today as his father is out of the country for work and his mother was at work. Reported near misses elsewhere in the town, stalls it near my parked car outside my house, panics and launches car into the side of mine. Drives off, stops further up the road to inspect damage to own car, drives off again. Witnesses get photo's of the car alongside mine touching it with reg clearly visible thankfully. Guards are called and while taking details from me and witnesses get a call on the radio that the car has been spotted elsehwere in the town and they leave. In the meantime I find a 6inch chunk of the offending cars alloy wheel rim under my car so I was sure at that point the report from elsehwere in the town was the offender because that tyre would have gone flat straight away and he wouldn't get very far. So yeah, a schoolboy learner taking Daddy's car without permission. Guards came back to me and said they'll keep me up to date but that the kid says he wants to pay for the damage himself which is obviously just a panicked kid sh1te talking. That said if he's uninsured his mammy and daddy may also want to pay for the damage themselves once they are informed whats happened by the guards.

So my question is, how do I proceed. Do I inform my insurance company (I'm fully protected no claims) straight away or are they not involved if its an uninsured driver or the offending parties want to pay the full cost of repair. Do I need to get the car towed to have the damage assessed? Possible rear drivers side wheel/axle/suspension damage? Lots of drivers side panel damage.

My car is a 2007 Mark 2 Audi TT with only 40,000km on the clock (don't ask LOL) Cars with same age but much more mileage are €5000-€7000 on Carzone. Theres an identical car but a 2008 with 114,000km on Carzone for €8,000

502108.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

How much will it cost to repair? That looks like some significant damage, and I'd be worried the insurance will be looking to write it off.

I'd suggest waiting to hear from the parents as to whether they will be paying for it. Depending on the terms of the insurer, you might be able to claim from the father's insurance, and they will then refuse to indemnify him, and go after him for reimbursement.

That kid is in a seriously deep pile of poo. The parents have the option of having the guards charge him with taking the car without permission, or they face a fine for allowing him to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Inform your insurance company, give them the incident number from the Gardai.

Hopefully the insurance company will pursue the costs of the damage from the owner of the vehicle which struck yours.

If not you're going down the road of a civil case, sue the drivers parents in court..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I feel your pain! There’s no way if it’s a write off that you’ll get close to the value of a similarly low mileage TT. Get the repair valued, and present thus to the parents as the cost of not going near insurance. And get the cash in hand before getting the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

seagull wrote: »
    How much will it cost to repair? That looks like some significant damage, and I'd be worried the insurance will be looking to write it off.

Insurance company may well go down the line of declaring it a write off--

Looks like new door, side skirt, alloy repair, rear arch body panel repair, respray, €2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

seagull wrote: »

I'd suggest waiting to hear from the parents as to whether they will be paying for it. Depending on the terms of the insurer, you might be able to claim from the father's insurance, and they will then refuse to indemnify him, and go after him for reimbursement.

That kid is in a seriously deep pile of poo. The parents have the option of having the guards charge him with taking the car without permission, or they face a fine for allowing him to drive it.

How does a write off work? Insurance pays me what they asses is the value of the car? Can I use that to repair the car and keep it on the road. Does a written off car affect my ability to re-insure the car myself at next renewal? Affect re-sale? (Not that I'll ever part with it if I don't have to) Its just, I'll never get a replacement in that price range with a barely run in engine like mine LOL. My plan was to keep running this car as long as financially viable until EV's are mainstream, better and cheaper where I might finally end up replacing it with a 2027 Tesla. LOL

ie. Is keeping insurance out of it and letting the kids parents pay for the damage better for me in terms if not having a write-off logged against the car and for insurance purposes etc.

• Advertisement

Also, I presume this has to be taken to Garage to assess mechanical damage as well as bodyshop to assess cost of panel damage. An Audi Service center or my local Nissan dealership/service center that have been doing the services for the last 7 or 8 years? Given someone else is paying should I definitely go to an Audi service centre and let them contract out the bodyshop quote/work too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

i would think there is no doubt the child and or parents will be glad to offer a cash settlement for the damage to be repaired (to protect there son). You need to be requesting they cover the full cost of repairs + inconvenience to you and also loss of value to your car, it will never be the same again. press for 1/2 valuation post repair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

If he's 17 he'd be entitled to be considered for a juvenile caution, therefore no insurance.your insurer might be reluctant to take civil action against a teenager in which case you'd have to go via motor insurers bureau. If parents say he took car without permission they wouldn't be liable to you, he would. If there's a possibility they'd pay for the damage it might be the way to go?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ring your insurance company now for notification purposes only. Listen to what the parents say, but always be aware that these sort of things can get out of hand. Is "legal" cover on your car insurance? They may put you in touch with their solicitor also.

I dont know if MIBI would be worth anything in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

Calibos wrote: »
    How does a write off work? Insurance pays me what they asses is the value of the car? Can I use that to repair the car and keep it on the road. Does a written off car affect my ability to re-insure the car myself at next renewal? Affect re-sale? (Not that I'll ever part with it if I don't have to) Its just, I'll never get a replacement in that price range with a barely run in engine like mine LOL. My plan was to keep running this car as long as financially viable until EV's are mainstream, better and cheaper where I might finally end up replacing it with a 2027 Tesla. LOL

ie. Is keeping insurance out of it and letting the kids parents pay for the damage better for me in terms if not having a write-off logged against the car and for insurance purposes etc.

All of the damage is repairable / replaceable. From the pic, its all "surface" damage and a reputable panel beater will confirm that for you. If you really want to keep it, then take it to directly to a reputable Panel beating business, and get a quotation ( get more than one,if you like ) why would you involve Main Dealers ??... they are only adding to the cost. Forget them. Get your Quotations, have chat with the boys Father, and ask him if he want's it to go through his insurance ( very unlikely ) or to pay up front for the repair's. In terms of depreciation, that usually works out at 10% of the estimate. As for trading it in at some future date...keep the pic. Most cars get scuffs / scrape's during their life times, and get them repaired / sprayed. This is pure cosmetic work, and not to be compared with serious structural repair's, Chassis replacement / repairing etc. with possible steering / suspension problems afterward's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

jmreire wrote: »
    All of the damage is repairable / replaceable. From the pic, its all "surface" damage and a reputable panel beater will confirm that for you. If you really want to keep it, then take it to directly to a reputable Panel beating business, and get a quotation ( get more than one,if you like ) why would you involve Main Dealers ??... they are only adding to the cost. Forget them. Get your Quotations, have chat with the boys Father, and ask him if he want's it to go through his insurance ( very unlikely ) or to pay up front for the repair's. In terms of depreciation, that usually works out at 10% of the estimate. As for trading it in at some future date...keep the pic. Most cars get scuffs / scrape's during their life times, and get them repaired / sprayed. This is pure cosmetic work, and not to be compared with serious structural repair's, Chassis replacement / repairing etc. with possible steering / suspension problems afterward's.

To teach this little bollix a lesson would be the main reason!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

This is how it works

When there is property damage only, caused by an uninsured driver, your insurer handles the matter under the MIBI protocol providing you have comprehensive insurance. Your insurer CANNOT impact your NCB or future premiums. Check the MIBI website for precise details.

If you do not have comprehensive insurance, you must apply directly to the MIBI for compensation, which can take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

why would you involve Main Dealers ??...

Wouldn't go to anyone else, let them organise the proper repair and pass the costs on to the responsible party.

The reason I think there might be mechanical suspension damage is that the the car is no longer parallel to the kerb/parking space lines and I’m usually a stickler for parking parallel so it looks like the back end of the car might have been hit hard enough to push it in. I also initially thought the rear drivers side wheel is skewed at an slight angle, but then again that might be the perspective because of the pushed in side panels. When looking from behind the car at both rear wheels in relation to the bumper I’m not sure if the damaged wheel is skewed. Also, remember that I found several pieces of his AlloY wheel including a 6 inch long 3 inch wide chunk of the rim under my car, so it must have been some whack to break large chunks of Alloy off and not simply a side swipe to my car.

ie. nothing conclusive visually but thats not to say an inspection wouldnt indicated a cracked x, y or z in the suspension.

The reason I think there might be mechanical suspension damage is that the the car is no longer parallel to the kerb/parking space lines and I’m usually a stickler for parking parallel so it looks like the back end of the car might have been hit hard enough to push it in. I also initially thought the rear drivers side wheel is skewed at an slight angle, but then again that might be the perspective because of the pushed in side panels. When looking from behind the car at both rear wheels in relation to the bumper I’m not sure if the damaged wheel is skewed. Also, remember that I found several pieces of his AlloY wheel including a 6 inch long 3 inch wide chunk of the rim under my car, so it must have been some whack to break large chunks of Alloy off and not simply a side swipe to my car.

ie. nothing conclusive visually but thats not to say an inspection wouldnt indicated a cracked x, y or z in the suspension.

If you check my post, you will see where I mentioned take it to a panel beater and get it checked out, From the pic,I don't think that any serious damage has been done, but then the pic is what I am going on. Now if I had it up close and personal, I might have different opinion. Get a professional opinion for peace of mind.

bladespin wrote: »
    Wouldn't go to anyone else, let them organise the proper repair and pass the costs on to the responsible party.

You do realize that it's the body shop who will do the assessment and the work? All the dealership will do take a slice of the action....and if the kids Dad has to pay up front, that's just an additional cost. Is that what you would want if you were in the Fathers position? They have enough trouble as it is. If the car is restored to its pre-accident condition, that seems to be what the owner wants. Unless I'm missing something in his post's. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning the kids activity..he made a mistake, something we have all done...no one was injured. Now if that had been a joy rider in a stolen car, it would be a different case .

You do realize that it's the body shop who will do the assessment and the work? All the dealership will do take a slice of the action....and if the kids Dad has to pay up front, that's just an additional cost. Is that what you would want if you were in the Fathers position? They have enough trouble as it is. If the car is restored to its pre-accident condition, that seems to be what the owner wants. Unless I'm missing something in his post's. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning the kids activity..he made a mistake, something we have all done...no one was injured. Now if that had been a joy rider in a stolen car, it would be a different case .

No, I dont want to squeeze them or take them to the cleaners, but neither do I want to sell myself or the repairs short to save them money because I’m a nice guy. Thats why I asked about whether I should prioritise an Audi service center check/repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Now if that had been a joy rider in a stolen car, it would be a different case .

How is the kid taking his dads car out for a bit of a show off spin NOT joyriding? He hit a parked car and drove away!!

Just cos he wasn’t haring around town with his hair on fire doing doughnuts in the local Main Street doesn’t mean he wasn’t joyriding.

He took the car without permission. Let the little sod learn a lesson. Either through his parents or through the law.

If you check my post, you will see where I mentioned take it to a panel beater and get it checked out, From the pic,I don't think that any serious damage has been done, but then the pic is what I am going on. Now if I had it up close and personal, I might have different opinion. Get a professional opinion for peace of mind.

I understand. I just wasnt sure if a panel beater was qualified to assess whether there was any mechanical damage in addition to the bodywork/chassis damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

It is quite possibly a write off, all the panels damaged are alloy (70% of the body is alloy) so replacements if they choose to replace panels will be expensive from audi.
    As you mentioned the rear wheel does look like it has been pushed forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Insurance company may well go down the line of declaring it a write off--

Looks like new door, side skirt, alloy repair, rear arch body panel repair, respray, €2000?

Higher I'd say.

Doors are aluminium AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You can get a piece of string, place it along the front wheel and along to the back wheel, if it touches evenly all the way then it's OK, if not it has shifted. (See pic below for a better description)

If the axle or wheel has shifted, then get it lifted onto a truck, do not drive it.

Get a reputable source like Dennings at the Spawell (if in Dublin) to price a repair.
    Contact the parents, show them the estimate, add on 20% for your time and depreciation and ask for cash within 2-3 days. If they can't pay, contact your insurer.

string1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Looks nasty but one would ask we only know of this incident where he hit this car,what else could have happened elsewhere that we dont know about and would have a snowball effect.I might agree contact insurance company as it may not be a simple open and shut case.

I understand. I just wasnt sure if a panel beater was qualified to assess whether there was any mechanical damage in addition to the bodywork/chassis damage.

He / She would be, it'a part of the job. I know, because I used to do it. A proper panel beating business will have all the alignment / jig equipment to restore a car to it's original specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd say that's easily €5000 on an insurance claim, I had a colleague have similar repaired after a run in with a pole. To be fair his was a newer BMW but it was €5-6 by the time he got it back. Keep in mind they will factor in a hire car during repairs and this could be €1000 alone. Of course you'll probably find a back yard panel beater that'll do it for €2-3k but I'd say that's a right off and any suspension damage or wheel damage will be the final nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

That damage via main dealer could cost well over 2K . A friend of mine did damage to my car into only one door on a frosty morning. Main dealer was delighted ...drew up an invoice for about €2,500 to replace door, window motor etc. Got it done by a local garage for €450, using 2nd hand parts and a respray -did an amazing job. And my friend wasn't much out of pocket.

What I'd reccomend
    1. Have the car looked at by a mechanic to check for any hidden structural damage. Id go to a main dealer (if driveable) & a regular reputable garage -get two quotes at least. (Generally you'll get a big and smaller estimate). Some Garages do bodywork repairs also.
    2. I presume you've let your insurer know.
    3. If the damage is purely cosmetic, get an estimate from panel beater -the main companies can be expensive, smaller setups significantly cheaper -good to have 2 quotes.
    4. Having a chat with the father/mother of the boy will give a clearer idea of what route to take (in a sense of goodwill). But should you choose, you don't have to deal with them directly and your insurance company can look after everything -even though caused by an uninsured driver.

Young driver could face a lot of trouble.
    If your car is not driveable, your insurance should cover you for a temporary replacement car. Always best to give them a ring -to get best advice and at least you've the case logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Get in touch with Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland

https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/uninsured-vehicles.1752.html

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

The little prick could have hit several cars on his little caper around town. Are the parents going to be able to afford to pay for all of them should any more appear?

I'd go through the insurance if possible and avoid most of the hassle / worry. Not your fault the little ****er took his father's car.

Good opportunity for the parents to give boy a sharp lesson. No driving until he starts earning & buys his own car. Cost of repair, which I hope will be reimbursed by parents, to be paid partially paid back to them via denial of something or other specific, eg going to a concert, that they have been funding the boy in addition to not let him drive until he is more mature & can afford to run a Toyota Yaris and be glad of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Will there be an e500 excess on this if the op goes through the mibi?

Advertisement