Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voluntary schools that have TUI members.

Options
  • 31-01-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

At this girls' voluntary secondary school in a border county in the Republic, most of the teachers are, naturally, ASTI members. However, I'm aware that there is a small number of TUI members on the staff at that school.

I asked a member of staff there who is an ASTI member about this. She said some of her colleagues there joined the TUI because they didn't like the direction the ASTI was taking.

I'm puzzled that the ASTI would allow any teacher in a voluntary school to join the TUI, to be honest. Surely, teachers at that school wouldn't be allowed to join the TUI without the ASTI's permission, right?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

At this girls' voluntary secondary school in a border county in the Republic, most of the teachers are, naturally, ASTI members. However, I'm aware that there is a small number of TUI members on the staff at that school.

I asked a member of staff there who is an ASTI member about this. She said some of her colleagues there joined the TUI because they didn't like the direction the ASTI was taking.

I'm puzzled that the ASTI would allow any teacher in a voluntary school to join the TUI, to be honest. Surely, teachers at that school wouldn't be allowed to join the TUI without the ASTI's permission, right?!

Wrong
    They can join whatever union they want
    However they are not supposed to be allowed switch during periods of industrial dispute .......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

it is unlikely the TUI will have negotiating rights on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

The asti don’t get to decide whether a non member can join another union or not. I’m surprised anyone would expect them to have a say in that.

A lot of teachers left the asti during/after the last dispute, for a variety of reasons. So long as they had been union free for 90 days, the tui took them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

There is probably more secondary schools now that have TUI members than those that haven't.

It will be interesting to see how many if any secondary schools will be forced to close on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭political analyst

km79 wrote: »
    Wrong
    They can join whatever union they want
    However they are not supposed to be allowed switch during periods of industrial dispute .......

Given that members of unions that are not on strike are instructed not to do work that is usually done by members of unions that are on strike, doesn't that make the prohibition on switching unions during a strike redundant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Given that members of unions that are not on strike are instructed not to do work that is usually done by members of unions that are on strike, doesn't that make the prohibition on switching unions during a strike redundant?

How would it make it redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

TUI are a disgrace for accepting members from these schools and the people who accepted them should be removed from their roles immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

What negotiating is really done anyway by the individual unions? It’s all done centrally and it applies to all teachers, regardless of their union. If they need the union to represent them then they still get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Our strike rota is sorted but have been told we may have teachers from neighbouring schools join us.
    They basically said where there is only 1 tui member in a school they will join a picket at a neighbouring school. They will not be picketing their own school. Apparently for health and safety you can’t strike on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭political analyst

How would it make it redundant?

I thought a voluntary school with a TUI minority on the staff would definitely have to close during the TUI strike because of the ASTI directive that its own members not do TUI members' work but Millem's post shows that's not necessarily the case.

• Advertisement

I thought a voluntary school with a TUI minority on the staff would definitely have to close during the TUI strike because of the ASTI directive that its own members not do TUI members' work but Millem's post shows that's not necessarily the case.

In my experience very few subs are in a union so if you only needed two or three people covered it would be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

In my experience very few subs are in a union so if you only needed two or three people covered it would be manageable.

But if the ASTI staff don't cross the picket, then the school will end up closing anyway

But if the ASTI staff don't cross the picket, then the school will end up closing anyway

According to rte news some Asti staff rang in sick today.
    I know if there were only a couple of TUI staff they were allowed support a picket elsewhere, so those schools probably just got by with a couple of subs.
    However I assume it would have been awkward if a picket was going ahead and the school open. Nobody in either union would have been too comfortable with that. I heard of one voluntary secondary school near me closing. Fair play to the principal for not putting their staff into a difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d say that school mentioned on RTÉ probably had a tube of a principal who insisted on opening and maybe asking ASTI members to pick up the slack. I’d say he/she isn’t well liked and got what they deserved.

Advertisement