Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestlemania 2020 - Spoilers, rumours, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The NBA has been suspended until further notice after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for Covid.

If this thing is bringing the NBA to a halt I can't see how Mania, or even Raw and Smackdown, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

I have 2 tickets, all flights suspended, was a trip of a lifetime, honestly gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

JamieHP wrote:
    I have 2 tickets, all flights suspended, was a trip of a lifetime, honestly gutted.

Ireland isn't included in the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler

Ironicname wrote: »

....yet

Ironicname wrote: »

Yeah I seen that there, but I just think I’m better writing this one off.

Anyway what’s our card predictions for mania 37??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As the character of G-Man from the video game half life says "prefer for unforseen consequences" :p

The travel ban is both shocking and obvious at the same time. Of course after the result is in. What could effect mania from happening apart from the obvious Corona? That if a very large portion of the crowd couldn't GET there in the first place.

No way mania is going to happen now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

89647935_232197281289390_8657678694547980288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=cDpzZd2cKPAAX_JGq-f&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9b50088663f110a7c21176c648c7aab6&oe=5E8FC636

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

JamieHP wrote: »

89107674_2873616022676946_1417137395756695552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=SHT4wXspaTEAX9vquxV&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=262136537d2f8a3083f8253831d8cb99&oe=5E9139C3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Yeah I seen that there, but I just think I’m better writing this one off.

I was to be flying to Florida the week of Wrestlemania and was going to Takeover (although not bothering with WM itself).

I have family there and the situation on the ground is not dissimilar to here. She sent me pics and vids of stores she was at yesterday where there's nothing on the shelves because everyone is stockpiling. Her kids school is closed too.

My point is that yes you - and I - can fly to Florida. But there is no point. No chance Wrestlemania is going ahead and no chance you'd have a good holiday. It is actually bad luck Trump hasn't suspended flights from Ireland (yet) as it means we will lose out on the cost of flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pity for all the overseas fans who meant to be heading over there

If I was going I'd try and do all the main events (Takeover, WM, Raw etc.) But you would have be saving for a few years at least

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    I was to be flying to Florida the week of Wrestlemania and was going to Takeover (although not bothering with WM itself).

I have family there and the situation on the ground is not dissimilar to here. She sent me pics and vids of stores she was at yesterday where there's nothing on the shelves because everyone is stockpiling. Her kids school is closed too.

My point is that yes you - and I - can fly to Florida. But there is no point. No chance Wrestlemania is going ahead and no chance you'd have a good holiday. It is actually bad luck Trump hasn't suspended flights from Ireland (yet) as it means we will lose out on the cost of flights!

Yeah I’d be in a similar situation to you, I was meant to go over with my little brother to do the parks in Orlando too but chances are they’re going to shut up shop too. Raging but there’s nothing we can do. Unfortunately.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yeah I’d be in a similar situation to you, I was meant to go over with my little brother to do the parks in Orlando too but chances are they’re going to shut up shop too. Raging but there’s nothing we can do. Unfortunately.

Think they announced yesterday that Universal in California and Orlando are closed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pity for all the overseas fans who meant to be heading over there

If I was going I'd try and do all the main events (Takeover, WM, Raw etc.) But you would have be saving for a few years at least

I have done a few Mania's already. With the cost of the ticket and length of the show, it's a bit of a chore at times. Honestly, once you have done one Mania live, you don't really need to go again.

If they were to drastically reduce the length of the show or spread it over two nights I would go again.

The Raw & Takeover are worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah, echoing what people are saying here.
    Meant to be going to Mania but the reality is I won't be going.
    The travel ban doesn't include Ireland for now but I imagine that will change. Universal and Disney are closed and set to re-open in late March but who knows. Florida has an old population, I think it would be very reckless for Mania to go ahead at all.
    Apparently the reason it hasn't been cancelled is that WWE are waiting for Tampa to call it off so they are eligible to collect insurance.

I'm a bit bummed but been preparing myself for the possibility over the last few weeks. Probably gonna be a good bit out of pocket but unfortunately that's life. Even if it were to go ahead at this point, I can't imagine travelling would be a good idea or that it would make for a very enjoyable trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ThePott wrote: »
    Yeah, echoing what people are saying here.
    Meant to be going to Mania but the reality is I won't be going.
    The travel ban doesn't include Ireland for now but I imagine that will change. Universal and Disney are closed and set to re-open in late March but who knows. Florida has an old population, I think it would be very reckless for Mania to go ahead at all.
    Apparently the reason it hasn't been cancelled is that WWE are waiting for Tampa to call it off so they are eligible to collect insurance.

I'm a bit bummed but been preparing myself for the possibility over the last few weeks. Probably gonna be a good bit out of pocket but unfortunately that's life. Even if it were to go ahead at this point, I can't imagine travelling would be a good idea or that it would make for a very enjoyable trip.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1238172342360080386
    WWE and the city of Tampa playing chicken with each other over Coronavirus decisions is a bunch of ridiculous horse**** and should be treated as such.

And that's strictly from a public health POV, not factoring in the repurcussions for fans & indie promoters from pressing pause.

Surely the Board of Directors could over rule Vince and just force his hand and call it off/postpone it? The idiocy of it all really.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1238172342360080386

Surely the Board of Directors could over rule Vince and just force his hand and call it off/postpone it? The idiocy of it all really.

No-one wants the PR hit as so many people have paid for travel and it'll hit the already tanking stock so badly.

It'll be cancelled eventually. Early June looks likely for the rearranged date.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well Trump's banned flights from Ireland and UK now as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Actually I'd guess it's insurance & compensation driven; if they cancel it vs. government ordering them to cancel it would most likely give different levels of payout for cost, lost earnings etc. with insurance and in relation to the contract (i.e. if either party cancels the contract there's most likely a penalty clause triggering; hence why neither side wants to be the one to cancel it while both knows it's not going ahead). Same with reporting to shareholders; if they cancel it vs. they were ordered to cancel it the second one gives way more leeway to blame away things "outside of their control".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Yep it’s all insurance driven trying to limit the losses it’ll be cancelled in the next week one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think this is gonna break even the WWE's extremely resilient "the show must go on" mentality. I can see Raw and Smackdown going off the air for a while.

What's happening is like something from a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think this is gonna break even the WWE's extremely resilient "the show must go on" mentality. I can see Raw and Smackdown going off the air for a while.

What's happening is like something from a movie.

Well I posted it in the smackdown thread but bayley posted a thing on instagram which had a bell time of 10:35am EST which is 2:35pm our time so I think they may be taping stuff to put out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

It's hard to believe that any of this is actually real. This is truly a life changing event for the entire planet. It still feels like I'm in a dream.

Anyway, with regards to Mania, I've seen some people list some valid reasons as to why Vince needs to make an announcement on cancelling Mania, but one I definitely don't agree with is how the cancellation will impact the numerous indie promoters and performers who are involved in events in Tampa over the Mania weekend.
    I'm sorry, but why the hell should those people factor into Vince's decision? They are all leeching off his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sirmanga wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that any of this is actually real. This is truly a life changing event for the entire planet. It still feels like I'm in a dream.

Anyway, with regards to Mania, I've seen some people list some valid reasons as to why Vince needs to make an announcement on cancelling Mania, but one I definitely don't agree with is how the cancellation will impact the numerous indie promoters and performers who are involved in events in Tampa over the Mania weekend.
    I'm sorry, but why the hell should those people factor into Vince's decision? They are all leeching off his company.

Some reading material for you...
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkevx7/a-wrestlemania-coronavirus-shutdown-would-be-a-catastrophe-for-indie-wrestling-wwe

Wrestlemania goes ahead, everyone wins, it get cancelled, well the article above lays it out.

You're not that much of a heartless SOB that you'd take pleasure in Indie companies going bust?

The show has to be cancelled. It's not Vince's decision regardless. The state won't allow it.

Although it is accurate to say that even if it were, he does not have a responsibility to keep the show running so that those indies who base their year around his show don't lose out. It is unfortunate, but it's not his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

As much as it is a shame that so many indies would be irreparably damaged if Wrestlemania was cancelled, the horse has left the barn already.

Flights from Europe are banned for one. So now you're catering just to Americans to travel to the shows. Which would likely already hurt the likes of Progress and in general the people coming from abroad to take in all the wrestling.

Then you have Government Orders prohibiting gatherings. That's to say nothing of the fact that wrestlers who were meant to fly in can no longer do so.

WWE get a lot of hate for their attacking of the Indies, but this one isn't on them. Vince is not the bad guy here, there's bigger factors that are gonna lead to these shows being cancelled with public health being the primary concern. I'm sure for him, a lot of prominent independent wrestling promotions possibly biting the dust is a happy coincidence but it's not his fault it's happening nor is it his responsibility to try to prevent them from going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Wrestlemania goes ahead, everyone wins, it get cancelled, well the article above lays it out.

Wrestle mania goes ahead and a lot of people will be needlessly exposed and put in danger of death.

It gets cancelled and some people lose their job and a couple of Indies go out of business.

Not a hard call really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure how many of the indie shows need to be cancelled as well? Not saying they draw huge numbers but would may be big enough to fall into the social gatherings limits.
    Then isn't the Supercard show supposed to be on as well that weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So is it Vince is waiting for the State to cancel the show and he gets the insurance pay out?

If he cancels it he doesn't get a pay out and he loses money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Some reading material for you...
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkevx7/a-wrestlemania-coronavirus-shutdown-would-be-a-catastrophe-for-indie-wrestling-wwe

You're not that much of a heartless SOB that you'd take pleasure in Indie companies going bust?
    Where did I say I'd take pleasure in it?
    I'm simply saying indie companies losing money has nothing to do with Vince. It shouldn't and will not factor into his decision to cancel mania, although the decision is not ultimately his.
    I mean, WrestleMania isn't an arts festival being put on by a city council where Vince is the mayor. WWE is his business. That's all that should and will matter to him when Mania is cancelled.
    Similarly, I'm sure when big stadium concerts are cancelled, the promoters aren't going to be thinking about the guys selling raincoats and burgers at stalls outside the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

I just wish someone would make a bloody decision so we can cancel the hotels etc and either get money back or schedule somewher eelse for during the year.

Known Vince , It wont be him to cancel.

I went sour on this man some years ago, but this has just put me over the top with the guy.

Advertisement