Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DJ advice

• 04-01-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and what their advice would be.

I’ve been bedroom DJing for a while. I take it quite serious and I have been practicing for a long time. I went from a traktor controller to my own pair of CDjs which was a proud day as I was desperate to be comfortable with club gear. Ive been making mixes and live-streaming on fb. I really want to try break out into an actual gig this year. 2020 goals and all that but I’m struggling as to where I should push these mixes.

I want some advice on where to start. How did you manage to get out there. I basically have no connection with anyone in Dublin that is in that kind of area which is obviously a bit of a disadvantage as it’s probably who you know that really helps.

If anyone could be some of their experiences and steps they have taken, it would be a really good insight.

Thanks!

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

email mixes and a bio to promoters and venues.
    attend events that interest you and chat to promoters and djs, bring your mixes
    be persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Go to whatever clubs play the same type of music you do & talk to the promoter &/or DJ's playing at the nights & see if your any use to them.

Also if your looking to make it into a career you need to learn how to produce music as well as mixing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go to the types of gigs you'd want to play at; get there early, talk to anyone and everyone you can get the ear of - promoter, support acts, the hangers on that might know the right people to talk to. Get some cheap USB keys and have recent mixes on them; throw these at anyone who sounds like they might be interested.

Don't expect to be playing the big venues and/or getting paid for the first while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Also if your looking to make it into a career you need to learn how to produce music as well as mixing it.

Don't even bother looking for a dj gig, make your own quality tunes and get a few hits. After that, clubs and festivals will be begging you to dj.

• Advertisement

^ That's how alot of artists made it during the late 80's Acid House boom. Of course then you actually had to have some musical talent & would have to invest in a lot of Roland products. Now any ejit can download music production software and make a tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

^ That's how alot of artists made it during the late 80's Acid House boom. Of course then you actually had to have some musical talent & would have to invest in a lot of Roland products. Now any ejit can download music production software and make a tune.

That doesn't necessarily mean it will be a good tune though.

Op you already have an advantage than most of us by living in Dublin. It's so hard to get gigs anywhere in Ireland if your not a "Local" try getting a gig in Donegal where I am, It's almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Maybe find other dj's online in similar circumstances and see if you can put a night together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Visit the smaller towns' nightclubs and ask for a djing night once a month.

Advertisement