Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That Irish Life ad with annoying phone notification at the beginning, and 'hilarious' work from home comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Covid 19 Public Service woman doesn't see the "I" and doesn't pronounce "Available" like the rest of us...."Avalable"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those new Lotto ads are a bit of a confused mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

L1011 wrote: »
    Those new Lotto ads are a bit of a confused mess.
    They go on forever

I just have to get this off my chest: The AA ad.
    its the way she says it - the A.A. ..... like there's a big gap between the As. Ring the A. A................from the A.A.

Its just wrong. You say AA like one big long A.

(does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I losing my mind?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surf ad with Dani Dyer is not only jarring accent wise, its far quieter than any other ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The Centra one about the “builder” and the breakfast roll. Just awful.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The Centra one about the “builder” and the breakfast roll. Just awful.

Brilliant ad! Something funny inbetween all the other ads falling over themselves to tell us how great we are at staying at home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Brilliant ad! Something funny inbetween all the other ads falling over themselves to tell us how great we are at staying at home

Every time I hear those wall to wall Covid-19 Ads - especially on Newstalk and TodayFM - I wonder just how much advertising revenue the Government are pouring into Denis O'Brien's bank account? Perhaps I'm wronging the man and his radio stations are putting out the Ads as part of a goodwill gesture. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ll admit it was a welcome “break” but the “extra puddin’, say nuttin’” and “bu’ters de job” bits do my head in.
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    Every time I hear those wall to wall Covid-19 Ads - especially on Newstalk and TodayFM - I wonder just how much advertising revenue the Government are pouring into Denis O'Brien's bank account? Perhaps I'm wronging the man and his radio stations are putting out the Ads as part of a goodwill gesture. :rolleyes:

To be fair, they’re keeping almost every radio station and newspaper afloat at the moment. They probably could have “haggled” a bit though.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »

How do you know money changed hands or how much?
    Radio has a public service obligation, it's not like they can't pretend this isn't going on. And if money is coming in, you want to have a radio station to listen to, don't you? That doesn't come out of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

The new Easons ad...oh sweet Jesus! I initially thought I was listening to a clip of Oliver Callan's Liberal Ladies...it's like an (unintentional) homage.

How do you know money changed hands or how much?
    Radio has a public service obligation, it's not like they can't pretend this isn't going on. And if money is coming in, you want to have a radio station to listen to, don't you? That doesn't come out of fresh air.

That's why I said I could be wrong. I do think that there's been overkill on the repetition of overly complicated Ads and I doubt that I'm alone in this.

The various State ads are paid for.

Other not specifically ad content may be being done for the BAI grants, which are tiny, but its still cash in the door.

Expert Electrical with the couple sniping at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The ad for Ulysses is a bit racy!!

"I am some ham for one ham."

Who writes this shyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"I am some ham for one ham."

Who writes this shyte?

Same company as "Come out you other hams"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The regional station ads are the worst.
    A lot of the ads on nova are cringworthy.

The regional station ads are the worst.
    A lot of the ads on nova are cringworthy.

Thankfully I have never had the pleasure (?) of listening to Nova but agree that regional stations are dreadful anyway unless you have a thing for the GAA or funeral announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The ad for Trin a dee (Trinity) College. Or just any ad where a 'd' is inserted where it doesn't belong. Loddo etc.

The ad (if that's the correct word) about coronavirus restrictions being eased.

We can visit one another in our 'retrospective' homes, apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That horseracing add with a girl (box ticking) asking for tips for the 4 o' clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Some weird ad for cheese where the voiceover doesn’t stop to take a breath. I can’t work out what’s going on at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Some weird ad for cheese where the voiceover doesn’t stop to take a breath. I can’t work out what’s going on at all at all

Bookending your oh so busy day killing it at work by standing staring into the fridge looking at cheese while on the phone to your mother...so strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

There was an ad yesterday about contactless debit cards and how the limit is up to €50 per transaction. It also said they were just as secure as chip-and-pin. I take it that means the banks accept full liability for misused cards, because if they are just as secure then you don't have to worry about losing your card. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Had to drop someone off to work yesterday morning and forgot my phone for the spotify/bluetooth music. Jesus tap dancing Christ I couldnt get over the AMOUNT of adverts on the radio. Obviously its because its a time of the day when a lot of people are in their cars, but I was shocked all the same. Wont be making that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

plodder wrote: »
    There was an ad yesterday about contactless debit cards and how the limit is up to €50 per transaction. It also said they were just as secure as chip-and-pin. I take it that means the banks accept full liability for misused cards, because if they are just as secure then you don't have to worry about losing your card. Right?

That is actually correct, and the reason why there are limits on contactless use.

As well as the €50 in any one transaction, there are also other limits like spend since last PIN entry or transaction count since last PIN entry which protects the bank from excessive unauthorised use.

If you lost your card and I found it, I might be able to spend up to €100 before the card would demand a PIN. Neither you nor the shops would lose out, the bank would. The bank could seek to prosecute via say CCTV evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And post-lockdown, those dire and awful Suzuki ads are back. Back in the old days Volkswagen was the dependable source for badly written, stupid and irritating car ads but Suzuki has grabbed that (dubious) honour in the last two years. Who writes this s*ite? I can hardly believe there is an ad agency out there that actually pays people money to write this rubbish. And a car company that having listened to the finished product gives the okay to air it on radio.

Part of the problem is that most of these ad writers seem to think there are really genious comedy writers if only someone would just discover their immense talents, but for now they are willing to "slum it" in an ad-agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

The ad for Trin a dee (Trinity) College. Or just any ad where a 'd' is inserted where it doesn't belong. Loddo etc.

Just wait for the 48 (fordy eight) mobile ads. I haven't heard them on radio yet...only TV...awesome dude.

• Advertisement

More lockdown "hilarity". The Irish Life one with some dope doing yoga and calling Irish Life at the same time. I have three kids and I'm upside down at the moment.
    Who would actually do this in real life?

Advertisement