Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought 2017, aerial photos and archaeological finds

• 18-10-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I was messing about with Google earth recently and noted an update to some of their aerial photographs which seems to date from the summer 2017 'drought'.

It reminded me of a Guardian article I read a while back talking about the role of drought/soil moisture in identifying evidence of ancient settlements.

I've had a (quick and insanely uneducated) look through an example from the Kilmuckridge/Blackwater area of Wexford without much joy. One strange circular pattern is attached, but it's very much guesswork.

Are the aerials likely to throw up anything new? Can anyone else see much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Well I managed to find 4 as a result of the hot dry weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

onrail wrote: »
    I was messing about with Google earth recently and noted an update to some of their aerial photographs which seems to date from the summer 2017 'drought'.

It reminded me of a Guardian article I read a while back talking about the role of drought/soil moisture in identifying evidence of ancient settlements.

I've had a (quick and insanely uneducated) look through an example from the Kilmuckridge/Blackwater area of Wexford without much joy. One strange circular pattern is attached, but it's very much guesswork.

Are the aerials likely to throw up anything new? Can anyone else see much?
    Definitely an enclosure.
    Have you checked it on the Sites and Monuments Record?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

This crop mark is not recorded. The Archaeological Survey of Ireland (NMS) should be notified.

The coordinates for the site are 712353, 637270. This is the preferred coordinate system used by the National Monuments Service (Irish Transverse Mercator).
    The Google Earth coordinates are: 52.475182º N, -6.346344º E.

There is a possibility that there is a second enclosure attached to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

Excellent thanks!

Likely Norman? There are a couple of established Norman sites in the area. It's also quite close to the site where a neighbour recently found a coin that seemed to have Roman markings, so it's definitely an area with a few stories to tell. Whether the coin was genuine, and how it got there is another debate.

Interesting stuff!

onrail wrote: »
    Excellent thanks!

Likely Norman? There are a couple of established Norman sites in the area. It's also quite close to the site where a neighbour recently found a coin that seemed to have Roman markings, so it's definitely an area with a few stories to tell. Whether the coin was genuine, and how it got there is another debate.

Interesting stuff!
    Likely much earlier than Norman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

Cool. Sure I'll fire an email off to the Archaeology Service and see what comes of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Anthony Murphy has a new book out now, Dronehenge about his discoveries in the Boyne Valley. I enjoyed it, goes into a lot of detail about the discovery, reporting it, using drones and Google Earth to find monuments, explains how and why cropmarks appear etc and all in layman's terms.

I really enjoyed it, it's very light on the 'mythology' aspects which dominate his previous books so I enjoyed it far more than his previous ones. Might be of interest to OP!

Am I right in saying that I can only change what google earth sat images I am using on the desktop version and not on my tablet?

Advertisement