Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blank and Double Gameweek discussion 2019/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

spindex wrote: »
    What is the current state of play with blanks and doubles? I'm thinking of playing the wildcard but I dont know what's going on. Thanks

Twitter @BenCrellin

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Do people envisage there being a bigger blank gameweek (one with more than 4 teams blanking as is the case with gw 28) later in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

F1ngers wrote: »
    4 blanks in 28.
    Other blanks depend on FA cup results.

DGWs are scheduled for 34 and 37.
    Possible TGW for City.

No idea when fixtures for 28 blanks will be announced.

Is it 4 blank teams or 4 blank fixtures? 8 fixtures showing for me on app.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

gandalfio wrote: »
    Do people envisage there being a bigger blank gameweek (one with more than 4 teams blanking as is the case with gw 28) later in the season?

Yes. GW 31 when FA cup QFs are played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Is it 4 blank teams or 4 blank fixtures? 8 fixtures showing for me on app.

4 teams I think

Villa play city outside the league so it's those two games with city, Villa, arsenal and Sheffield that blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

gandalfio wrote: »

GW31 could be the biggest. Could easily be half the games gone. Might be a popular free hit week if that's the case

GW34 up in the air how many. The guru of such things Ben Crellin forecasts 3 blanks as the most likely currently but depends on so many results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

GW31 - A blank will happen if the following happens in the FA Cup fifth round:
    Spurs v West Ham: Spurs beat Norwich
    Chelsea v Man City: Chelsea beat Liverpool or Man City beat Sheff Wed
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd: Man Utd beat Derby or Sheff Utd beat Reading
    Newcastle v Aston Villa: Newcastle beat West Brom
    Norwich v Everton: Norwich beat Spurs
    Liverpool v Crystal Palace: Liverpool beat Chelsea
    Leicester v Brighton: Leicester beat Birmingham
    Southampton v Arsenal: Arsenal beat Portsmouth

Sorry for the bad formatting guys.
    But I'd guess a good 5/6 of those 8 fixtures will be blank.
    Could be as few as 4 teams playing in GW31.
    Might be so few that Free Hit won't even be worth playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭shmeee

GW31 - A blank will happen if the following happens in the FA Cup fifth round:
    Spurs v West Ham: Spurs beat Norwich
    Chelsea v Man City: Chelsea beat Liverpool or Man City beat Sheff Wed
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd: Man Utd beat Derby or Sheff Utd beat Reading
    Newcastle v Aston Villa: Newcastle beat West Brom
    Norwich v Everton: Norwich beat Spurs
    Liverpool v Crystal Palace: Liverpool beat Chelsea
    Leicester v Brighton: Leicester beat Birmingham
    Southampton v Arsenal: Arsenal beat Portsmouth

Sorry for the bad formatting guys.
    But I'd guess a good 5/6 of those 8 fixtures will be blank.
    Could be as few as 4 teams playing in GW31.
    Might be so few that Free Hit won't even be worth playing?

Could be a blank of all blanks alright.

A bit of interesting advice from the Blank King Ben:

@BenCrellin
    We've established that generally speaking there won't be a better time to have 2 FTs than in GW29, when the GW31 Blanks are decided.

The first game of GW29 is LIV vs BOU (12.30pm on Saturday)
    Liverpool could rest players vs Bournemouth as the 2nd leg vs Atelti is 4 days later...

@BenCrellin
    So you'd probably want to wait until 15 mins before the deadline to make your transfers in GW29, in the hope that we'll get a leaked team sheet.

If you decide to Free Hit in GW31, and LIV don't have a Blank, then you may want to sell a LIV player if they don't start vs BOU.

@BenCrellin
    And if you decide against Free Hitting in GW31, and LIV do have a Blank, then you may also want to sell a LIV player if they don't start vs BOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

FPL general was talking about a possible double for City in GW29, anyone know anything about it?

I've lost complete interest over this GW but I didn't think I'd missed any chat of that

• Advertisement

Chelsea and United away most likely, horrible double

but still a double

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Green&Red wrote: »
    Chelsea and United away most likely, horrible double

but still a double

Who will start both games though?

Ederson, Laporte(if he doesn't get injured again!) and maybe De Bruyne. After that I'm not sure.

I have Aguero, KDB and Mahrez so I'm thinking of keeping KDB and one of Mahrez/Aguero. I can then bring in Laporte in 29 if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

When would be a good time to use a wildcard, baring in mind i'd use week before it to cover a big double game week with a bench boost

Also when would people recommend using the free hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Makes no difference to me
    KDB and that is it
    Refuse to get sucked in when we all know all the other main FPL assets will not start both

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't see Chelsea or City being too comfortable coming out to reschedule a game due to participation in the FA cup QF before they have even qualified for that stage. Surely they would wait till after one of them have qualified for the quarter Final which would be the Tuesday after GW28. 8 days notice maximum for the rescheduled game. City would then be gw 29 Sunday Utd A Wed Chelsea A Gw30 Sat Burnley H then real madrid on a Tuesday don't think they would voluntarily be looking for that schedule before the biggest game of their season. Id say they would prefer to fit it into gw 37 even as part of a treble gw if they had to over fitting it into gw 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

31 feels fairly straight forward, no Liverpool and I free hit, Liverpool and i don't.

The problem with this mythical dgw BB is that you are forcing yourself to only pick from 8 or 10 teams when you wildcard and forcing yourself to pick from one gw of fixtures. When you sgw BB you can pick whatever week you think the fixtures are best and can have players from any team you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I think the value in some doubles is the confidence you can have in guys playing and no zeros on the bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

SameOleJay wrote: »
    31 feels fairly straight forward, no Liverpool and I free hit, Liverpool and i don't.

Say Liverpool go through against Chelsea unless there is a big upset you are likely left with 3/4 games:

1. Burnley v Watford
    2. Wolves v Bouremouth
    3. Norwich v Everton (assuming Spurs beat Norwich)
    4. Newcastle v Villa (goes ahead if Newcastle beat WBA away)

Is it really worth playing a free hit to get 11 players from those fixtures?

You'd want 3 from Wolves, DCL+Ricky and Grealish.. maybe a Burnley player or two and then you'd be in real punt territory.

Even if Liverpool are knocked out I'm thinking a -4 to get me to even 7 players would do the job. Then you've got much more flexibility around doubles later on in season.

• Advertisement

I think the value in some doubles is the confidence you can have in guys playing and no zeros on the bb.

With rotation later in the season, I'd have less confidence in players starting then than I would now.

An advantage of that alright. My argument has always been that its not the only time you can play the BB and that there are negatives to a dgw BB that can happen before and after the actual dgw BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Even an unambitious BB with all doubles will probably get you 8 points just for showing up.

I don't have 15 doubles anyway. Between a mix of doublers and big players with singles the bench can look good.

Having said that i had been looking for a week all season for playing it if things aligned. Hasn't come, neither has an early wildcard to prompt it either. Both ways are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Say Liverpool go through against Chelsea unless there is a big upset you are likely left with 3/4 games:

1. Burnley v Watford
    2. Wolves v Bouremouth
    3. Norwich v Everton (assuming Spurs beat Norwich)
    4. Newcastle v Villa (goes ahead if Newcastle beat WBA away)

Is it really worth playing a free hit to get 11 players from those fixtures?

You'd want 3 from Wolves, DCL+Ricky and Grealish.. maybe a Burnley player or two and then you'd be in real punt territory.

Even if Liverpool are knocked out I'm thinking a -4 to get me to even 7 players would do the job. Then you've got much more flexibility around doubles later on in season.
    Depends what you have from that in your regular team. I currently have Jimenez, Grealish, Lascelles, plus Rico and Hayden who look to have been dropped. If I can get to 7 I'd stick on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A successful DGW is more reliant on having a decent captain than bench fodder playing twice.

I still have wildcard, BB and Free Hit left and have no firm strategy on when to use them.

GW 31 seems to be key - would be a waste to use Free Hit I reckon, a lot will depend if Liverpool progress in the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Do we know yet if city will have DGW in 29?

If they don’t I may sell Aguero this week for a hit

Do we know yet if city will have DGW in 29?

If they don’t I may sell Aguero this week for a hit

Wait ti Friday before making any moves in case there's an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wait ti Friday before making any moves in case there's an announcement.

I will.
    Might be time for me to wildcard after the BGW anyway.
    Have Aurier, Aguero, Rico, Firmino, Traore, Noble all in my squad, need to get rid of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

My favoured strategy for negotiating the blank and double GWs over the last two seasons has been to build towards the first blank, wildcard out the back of it with the next double in mind, FH for the next blank and then BB for the double. That’s what I feel I’ll aim to do this season as well. I made a slight mistake by possibly not planning for this early enough as I’ve left myself a transfer short of fielding a full 11 for the blank without any hits (that’s if Liverpool blank) but hopefully with a bit of luck things will work out ok!

• Advertisement

If arsenal go out here. Crelins dgw 29 would stand a chance of happening.

Advertisement