Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Erratically' zigzagging boat delayed cruise ship entering port, court told

• 06-06-2019 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

It’s an on-going legal case so the no comments rule applies
    A four thousand tonne cruise ship was delayed entering Dublin Port by a small sailing boat "erratically" zigzagging in its path, a trial has heard…………………………. skipper of the RNLI all-weather lifeboat …………..said that they approached the sailboat and their warnings to the people on board were met with profanities and one replied that it was "their God-given right to go up and down this river as Dubliners".
    The trial continues on June 18.
    Court report is HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Update is HERE - case is ongoing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know the DP lads that were on hand dealing with it, can't say any more... following with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not going to comment on this case, but there was a tragedy a few years ago in the same area but not confined to it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/yacht-crash-helmsman-over-drink-limit-when-four-died-1.1086176

Not going to comment on this case, but there was a tragedy a few years ago in the same area but not confined to it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/yacht-crash-helmsman-over-drink-limit-when-four-died-1.1086176

That was Debonair, a Club Shamrock; I used to race against her in Cruisers 2 in DL under previous owners (NYC?). Her accident also was a different type of event – she was run down when she suddenly crossed the bows of a cargo ship, not in the confines of the port but in the outer channel/fairway. From memory of the event it was a bad call (trying to cross out of the way), they were not acting the maggot, unlike the allegation relating to the guys from Poolbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

That was Debonair, a Club Shamrock; I used to race against her in Cruisers 2 in DL under previous owners (NYC?). Her accident also was a different type of event – she was run down when she suddenly crossed the bows of a cargo ship, not in the confines of the port but in the outer channel/fairway. From memory of the event it was a bad call (trying to cross out of the way), they were not acting the maggot, unlike the allegation relating to the guys from Poolbeg.

they were **** face drunk though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

Update is HERE - case is ongoing.

Any update?

Any update?

Had a look across various media earlier today and found nothing - case might not have been heard.

Well, it's almost over. Found guilty, absolutely no sign of remorse, just total self-entitlement and denial; a total waste of taxpayers' money. I just hope that they were not on free legal aid for a trial of that length. The Indo has it HERE
    The yacht skipper had insisted it was his “God-given right” to sail his vessel on the Liffey while his co-accused stripped off when he made landfall on the city quays and was arrested naked.
    I hope the book is thrown at them when sentencing comes round. If they still remain as members as Poolbeg I would hope they get the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

"The pleasure boat was seized and destroyed and the defence submitted it was missing evidence."

lol. Sure the whole thing never happened...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mod note:

Folks, I've deleted some comments as this is still sub judice.

Please do not speculate before the trial is concluded and sentence passed.

Linking to mainstream news media articles is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Two sentenced to 3 months in prison with the final months suspended.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0130/1112024-sailing-boat-charge/

They are appealing the conviction. I've no idea on what grounds.
    Indo's court report is worth a read HERE It says the boat was 'seized and destroyed' . I wonder what the grounds for that were? No doubt the owner is considering a case for damages!
    It will be interesting to see what the Circuit Court does. I hope it increases the sentence as being too lenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They are appealing the conviction. I've no idea on what grounds.
    Indo's court report is worth a read HERE It says the boat was 'seized and destroyed' . I wonder what the grounds for that were? No doubt the owner is considering a case for damages!
    It will be interesting to see what the Circuit Court does. I hope it increases the sentence as being too lenient!
    My sentiments exactly!

I'd say the only reason they got custody at all was because they effectively gave the two fingers to the court with their stupid defence arguments - judges don't like being made fools of. Did they have representation, or did they defend themselves? I'd hate to have been the solicitor having to put those arguments to the court!!

I also have to laugh at the reporting of "yacht captain", "deck crew", "told to moor the ship" etc etc - hard to know if that's just the reporters taking the piss / being tongue in cheek, or genuinely haven't a clue about boats and just lapping up what the two fellas fed them.

What a barking mad case!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've seen a video of the morning in question where they crash into a ship, then hit a DP pilot boat...

The mast wasn't standing, it was laid on the deck, so extremely dangerous to go ramming other boats in that situation!! oh, and a bicycle on deck!!

I've seen a video of the morning in question where they crash into a ship, then hit a DP pilot boat...

The mast wasn't standing, it was laid on the deck, so extremely dangerous to go ramming other boats in that situation!! oh, and a bicycle on deck!!

Yeah, from what I heard at the time and reading between the lines, I'd say it went far beyond what is being reported (badly) in the media.

I'm assuming the boat was a wreck, maybe it just disintegrated or sank or something! Was the name of it ever reported?

I'd say Poolbeg are only delighted with their delightful club members - not!! Although they're being left out of most reports I've seen.

Agree on shocking media reporting, you'd have at least expected RTE to ask Brian Dobson (a sailor) to proof read the articles before publishing/reporting them...

The boat didn't look too bad all considering, I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.

Agree on shocking media reporting, you'd have at least expected RTE to ask Brian Dobson (a sailor) to proof read the articles before publishing/reporting them...

The boat didn't look too bad all considering, I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.

I think there were pics in the papers at the time - mast on deck rings a bell now you mention it.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the reporters taking the piss out of the two boys, although I'm not sure it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hilarious scenario in fairness, the bit where the guy stripped off all his clothes - claiming this was because of the presence of armed Gardai. Also the foreign brand fancy bottles of water and the planned 6am morning cruise.

It does show how ill-equipped we are to deal with these kind of things though, Garda leaping from boat to boat without a life jacket etc.

I can post a pic (Mod permitting), it's of teh boat with DFB Rib alongside it.

You mean this one? (originally published on Independent.ie and rte.ie)

001381e9-614.jpg

This, with a bit of a closer look..

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that the 'reportage' was a pi$$take, the writer was a court reporter who would just regurgitate the words of the lawyers. Most reporters would have no idea - e.g. when there was a squall at a junior event a couple of years ago in DL and mammies were on Newstalk, poor old Moncrieffe had to ask what a regatta was, he genuinely had no idea!
    There were two Junior counsel and at least one firm of solicitors for the hearing over several days. Not cheap, I'll cry if those cretins qualified for FLA.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I also have to laugh at the reporting of "yacht captain", "deck crew", "told to moor the ship".

I reckon that was just part of the defense, a ploy, and media just reporting what was said/described.

Describing themselves as captain and deck crew simply, in my opinion, just an attempt to try and get it into the mind of the court/judge that they were somehow of equal importance (to commercial traffic) on the river (instead of a pair of gobsh**es).

Advertisement