Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brownells

• 15-04-2019 12:44am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dislike having to do this, but with the rise in the number of threads and post in the last few weeks i have little option as it's easier than keeping up with "one by one" process i've been using thus far.

A few years back certain legal threats and demands were made of and against Boards.ie that no mention of a certain individual, his businesses, services or anything to do with him be mentioned on Boards.ie

As the demands had a legal threat behind them, if he or his businesses were mentioned, the Admins removed all mention of him/his businesses and informed the Mods to continue to do so, indefinitely, as per this individuals demands.

Since the same person has now has the Brownell's Ireland franchise this means we cannot discuss it on this site.

It's annoying, a pain in the ass, and all that, but unfortunately its the way things have to be because of this person's demands. It's entirely out of the hands of the Mods, the Admins, etc. and we can make no exceptions.

This thread will remain up for a little while, but will be locked as it's not a platform for people to have their say. It's only meant as a notification and explanation as to why some threads and posts are disappearing. I try to inform each person on a one by one basis, but the topic is coming up more and more frequently each weekly. So this will help get the word out and prevent future issues.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not wanting to break the forum rule, but again this issue has raised its head a few times so here is an answer for everyone.

Brownells Ireland has, by all accounts, ceased trading. Brownells UK has said Brownells USA & EU are working on trying to create an alternative (EU ordering or parcel motel type situation), but as off yet there is nothing.

I hope this answers everyone's questions and satisfies the lads that have tried to post about it, but could not because of the reasons laid out in post one (1), above.

Here is the screenshot from Brownells UK.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would hope with the changes coming to ITAR,we can go back to ordering directly from the US.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Have people ordered from Brownells UK using Parcel Motel? Any issues?

According to the message sent from the UK store it does happen. He even includes a link to parcel motel in his reply.

I haven't done it personally as i ordered direct from the US up until the GDPR issue which stopped me accessing the US site. I haven't ordered anything from the Irish site and the UK was actually more expensive, but not with a much larger selection. Its why i preferred the US site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

The https://www.brownells.ie website still seems to be active and functioning okay - no warning that they have closed down.

I wonder willl it still process orders from buyers unaware of the closure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would hope with the changes coming to ITAR,we can go back to ordering directly from the US.

Hi, what changes to ITAR are happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Meaning we can order directly from the US??

That would be amazing.

As for Brownells.ie, I remember them telling me they were working on getting their own warehouse for storage and distribution, including barrels which I was after. Very strange, didn't realize they were a franchise type situation.

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi, what changes to ITAR are happening?

Here's your reading assingement for the weekend on this subject. You'll be having a pop quiz test on this Monday sometime.:pac: https://gununiversity.com/firearms-moved-itar-commerce-ccl/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Is Brownells.ie definitely gone? Website still seems to be fully functional. Has anybody got confirmation of the ability to order from the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i ordered stuff from brownells ireland website on 17 feb, i am expecting delivery late this week.

Will let ye know if it arrives, i had ordered a part last year and no issue, part arrived no bother.

Only saw this now so a little bit concerned.....

• Advertisement

I'll check with the UK store and confirm again, but the confirmation i got above is from them so i've no reason to believe it's false or misleading in any way.

The Irish site is still up and running, but as i've never ordered i don't know if orders are being taken, processed and filled or simply taken, then cancelled. May even be a case, if it is shut down, of filling existing orders and then shutting down. However we could speculate all day. I'll try to confirm the exact status, but i have to deal through the UK site as any attempt to access the USA site comes up with an immediate GDPR alert, then a redirect to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Quick reply from Brownell's UK. With permission:
    Dear Mr Cass

You are correct in that Brownells Ireland are not currently trading. Please accept our apologies for any confusion as the website remains live.

We are working to put a process in place in order for Irish Customers to be able to place orders through Brownells UK. We hope to have a process in place shortly.

As soon as we have finalised arrangements there will be a redirect from Brownells Ireland to our site.

I am sorry not to be able to give you firm dates.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
    Victoria Mair
    Brownells UK Ltd

Internet Sales: 01788 815115
    Retail Shop: 01788 435072

So there ya have it.

Anyone with current orders should contact Brownell's UK directly and confirm if their order is being honored. That is my opinion and not an official response from Brownell's.

I'm not sure what that means for any orders currently or recently done via Brownell's Ireland site. As in will they be filled by Brownell's UK? I don't know and did not think to ask. I will write back now and ask. Orders will be done via UK in the future but i've no idea what happens until then.

Anyone intending on ordering should just go direct to the UK site and use parcel motel until such a time as the arrangements for re-direction are in place.

Quicker update, again with permission:
    Dear Cass

Brownells Europe are in discussions with the manager of Brownells Ireland and we are not fully party to this.

To the best of my knowledge any orders that are being placed via Brownells Ireland will be cancelled and refunds given where applicable. We have some Irish Customers who have placed orders through us using the freight forwarder Parcel Motel. I appreciate that this is not ideal, but will work as a temporary solution as we do not currently have an export licence to ship outside the UK.

We are more than happy to keep you up to date.

Kind Regards
    Victoria Mair
    Brownells UK Ltd

Internet Sales: 01788 815115
    Retail Shop: 01788 435072

Thanks Cass. Pretty much answers all queries. Much obliged.

I've also emailed Brownells Germany to see what the story is with them handling orders to Ireland if possible.It would at least save on having to pay STG prices and shipping to NI with parcel motel.

I emailed Germany about three weeks ago, but never got a reply. I'd imagine that is my fault, spam folder might have picked it up and deleted it.

When ordering from the UK, is there some sort of import license you have to fill out or is it just a matter of proving to them you have a firearms license? Esp/ regarding barrels, receivers etc.

And I wonder how Brexit will affect this?

When ordering from the UK, is there some sort of import license you have to fill out or is it just a matter of proving to them you have a firearms license? Esp/ regarding barrels, receivers etc.

And I wonder how Brexit will affect this?

I would imagine so, there was a lad on here a while ago who had a wooden stock held up by customs until he could show he was entitled to own it :rolleyes:.

Firearm parts, as in component parts, may be an issue. These require licenses by the end user, and so to declare its Eire may cause problems.

Accessories not so as they require no license to own so using parcel motel, address pal, etc. would not require any import license or other authorisations.

• Advertisement

That's a shame, so no firearm parts whatsoever, not even screws...

I guess I'll have to wait till Brownells UK sorts something out.

That's a shame, so no firearm parts whatsoever, not even screws...
    Let me be more specific.

I don't work for Brownells so i don't know. Its why i said above to ring them or contact them yourself about any current or future orders.

Component parts for me are actions, barrels, triggers, bolts, etc. IOW the things that make your boomstick go boom.

Screws, scopes, rails, rings, apparel, kit, cleaning stuff, etc. are not required to have a license either here or in the UK and as such no license is required when buying hene they can be shipped via AddressPal or Parcel Motel without any fear of them being stopped.

As the UK shop doesn't have an export license to Eire then it cannot send such component parts to Eire and with the production of an import license on your end and the production of your Irish license any "pretence" of shipping to Northern Ireland , and no further, would be gone. The issue wouldn't be shipping to NI, btw, the problems arise when its moved from there down South.

However accessories and non component parts that require no license can be shipped as no imports, authorisations or licenses are required.
    I guess I'll have to wait till Brownells UK sorts something out.
    Would have been simpler to have Brownells Ireland but alas we cannot always have what we want. At least the UK is giving out information, updates and trying to work with people from the South.

I cannot see another Brownells Ireland opening up and hope its a case of the UK getting the export authorisation, or any Brownells EU shop, so we can order direct and stop all this "subtle", yet legal, subterfuge.

Had a look at the DOJ website on importation from EU countries, there is NOWT about importing parts from another EU country...
    Seeing that Britan is now departing the EU,this might be of revelance,as you would be importing from a non EU member country in the future, so I would hazard a gusee,continue as normal with dealing with the UK as presen until we are told otherwise
    .As for the import permit,according to the DOJ...You already have that in the privilidge of holding the liscense for that particular gun.
    If there is problems with it it will be UK national firearms laws that are causing it.

Just got an email from brownells ireland cancelling the order i made 9 days ago on the website, no reason given.
    Emailed brownells ireland and got a redirect to Norweigan site.
    Phone number of brownells ireland not picking up today.

Not happy with that BS. to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I placed an order a few weeks ago. Then I read this thread and emailed brownells ireland but never got a reply. I cancelled the order and ordered elsewhere.
    Glad I did now.

Hope your Noreweigan is good...As the translator is utter shte on that page.Stocks and fore ends is "parts for sticks and tarts" according to the English version of that site...:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Amateur hour from brownells, really is......pity.

Finally they got back to me,and I pointed out the situation in Ireland with UK shipping and this jiggy pokey to NI and into the ROI.Not to mind Euro/Stg conversion rates

So it seems according to Germany.... You can order parts off them ,that cannot be supplied by the UK,from their 3 sentence answer to me on this question.:confused:

So...To be continued. So lets try ordering a few bits from Germany and lets see what happens?

Finally they got back to me,and I pointed out the situation in Ireland with UK shipping and this jiggy pokey to NI and into the ROI.Not to mind Euro/Stg conversion rates

So it seems according to Germany.... You can order parts off them ,that cannot be supplied by the UK,from their 3 sentence answer to me on this question.:confused:

So...To be continued. So lets try ordering a few bits from Germany and lets see what happens?

I tried Brownells in Germany and a company called Recknagel who make some really nice bits for rifles, also in Germany, and neither wanted anything to do with selling bits to Ireland. I wonder have they changed their tune ?

• Advertisement

just on the german site attempting an order, once you get to shipping address Ireland is not an option.

Advertisement