Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mick Byrne 2019

• 01-04-2019 8:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like entries are open once more for one of Sorrentos and Audaxes finest days out on the Calendar.

http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/uncategorized/3801/

Usually fills up pretty fast so get in quick. One of my favourite 200s. As someone once said to me, despite being well signposted you can never get lost. At every junction, look around and whichever turn goes up, is the correct turn to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm signed up a while, by far the best sportive that I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

I notice the routes from the link in the OP are not shared/visible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll eventually get to this, but I'm committed to a different cycle that weekend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

plodder wrote: »
    I notice the routes from the link in the OP are not shared/visible.

I see that, the 200 is there but the 160 and 100 are not, I'll email the organiser and see is it the same as last year for them.

200 here: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1997558861
    2018 160 here: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1997260709
    2015 100 here: https://www.strava.com/activities/315544768

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Im away this year, or else I would definitely be back. Really enjoyed last year, despite 3 punctures before Shankill! Will be back for the Dying Cow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just to ask as I'm not confirmed on Ring of Beara just yet...
    Does MB qualify for the nice Audax medal? and is there the option to you pay extra at registration for it?
    A nice bit of bling that has ecaped me.. (Orwell 200 has had two years with weather issues didn't try this year but snowed out last year on several occasions)..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yes, and its a Very Nice Looking medal on top of it, at least the 2017 edition ;)

Its extra fiver AFAIK, you can ask for one on the day.

Alek wrote: »
    Yes, and its a Very Nice Looking medal on top of it, at least the 2017 edition ;)

Its extra fiver AFAIK, you can ask for one on the day.

Cool just to decide what event to do now..decisions decisions..

Cool just to decide what event to do now..decisions decisions..

I'll be most likely doing the MB this year, my fifth in a row after the last year's break. You can use this to make up your mind whether to join or avoid me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....my fifth in a row after the last year's break.....
    :confused:

• Advertisement

I'll be most likely doing the MB this year, my fifth in a row after the last year's break. You can use this to make up your mind whether to join or avoid me :D

No worries I’ll let you know Alek...
    Dont take my decision personally mind :D
    MB can be done any weekend and Ring of Beara would be a lot safer as a sportive...
    Logistics and accom are the big issues on Beara spin...

:confused:

Jaysis, I am also confused with what I've posted!

What I really wanted to say was that last years could have been my 5th in a row, but Ive skipped it, so this year will be my 5th without the row, inshallah.

;)

Noblenudge: you can do MB any day alright, but you'll miss the whole spirit! And it is really a big part of this event.

Jaysis, I am also confused with what I've posted!

What I really wanted to say was that last years could have been my 5th in a row, but Ive skipped it, so this year will be my 5th without the row, inshallah.

;)

Noblenudge: you can do MB any day alright, but you'll miss the whole spirit! And it is really a big part of this event.

I hear you dude...
    Nothing but good reports about MB over the years date just never clicked for me for some strange reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

MB can be done any weekend and Ring of Beara would be a lot safer as a sportive...

How safer? and you won't get a creamed rice cone any weekend on the MB.

Have done both three times and, while the scenery out around Allihies is hard to beat, the MB is a far friendlier event.

and you won't get a creamed rice cone any weekend on the MB.

Or have the WA's one extra, as he plainly hates them.

....and you won't get a creamed rice cone any weekend on the MB.....
    Don't go there - my stomach is heaving! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fairly limited experience of audax (just keeps not working out to do more) but the MB is about as supported as your going to get as an Audax would be my take on it. Being run alongside the sportive, and iirc all controls manned (with food), there's more support than usual.

Just to clarify my “safer” comment...
    It was in relation to the Ring of Beara...
    After cycling around parts of Beara last year I thought some of the road sections where a bit dodgy...cars speeding etc narrow roads I wouod feel more comfortable doing the event as a sportive than solo..

Back on topic
    MB free food you say :D

More than you can sensibly handle.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Only for those delicious creamed rice cones I'd never have made it up Sleive Mann!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Just signed up. Have ride dingle and the Orwell Randonee as my prep. If anyone wants to hold up the back with me be great to get a few together

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Only for those delicious creamed rice cones I'd never have made it up Sleive Mann!!!

When I get to the second food stop I tend to Eat just about anything I can find. I know what lies ahead. Signed up today.

Signed up too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I'm in. You'd think I'd know better by now!

In.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

macken04 wrote: »
    Just signed up. Have ride dingle and the Orwell Randonee as my prep. If anyone wants to hold up the back with me be great to get a few together

Ive signed up for it, have done no more than 65km this year so far so I'm not sure I will do the 200 or not.
    Have done the 160 before and enjoyed it tho it was tough. Last two years I've signed up for the 200 and both years was well prepared but for various reasons didnt end up doing it, so would love to give it a try this year.
    And I'd be happy to cycle along with you btw. The climbing is not the issue for me, it'll be the distance because I just dont have it in the legs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You have loads of time to get a few long spins in and you climb like a spider up a wall so you have fk all to worry about. I haven't anywhere near enough climbing done yet thus far but the Orwell is coming soon and it's usually a good indicator for me.
    I signed up for the 200 last year but knew I wouldn't have the legs as I was coming back from injury so when I reached the turn for the 160 I baled. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I made on the bike. Really enjoyed not killing myself over the extra 40km and nearly 1000m climbing and getting back to the start relatively fresh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

In for the 160. Will be just back from 2 weeks holidays so who knows how the legs will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

You have loads of time to get a few long spins in and you climb like a spider up a wall so you have fk all to worry about. I haven't anywhere near enough climbing done yet thus far but the Orwell is coming soon and it's usually a good indicator for me.
    I signed up for the 200 last year but knew I wouldn't have the legs as I was coming back from injury so when I reached the turn for the 160 I baled. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I made on the bike. Really enjoyed not killing myself over the extra 40km and nearly 1000m climbing and getting back to the start relatively fresh :D

I did the Orwell last year, its a very good challenge.
    Plan is to do near 100 this weekend and the dingle one end of the month. Orwell too would be nice.

• Advertisement

...I signed up for the 200 last year but knew I wouldn't have the legs as I was coming back from injury so when I reached the turn for the 160 I baled....
    Was it last year that I took that turn with you? We went 6 or 7 kms when you asked me why I was doing the 160k. Dopey here had to retrace my steps to get back on the 200k route - as if it wasn't long enough! :D
    terrydel wrote: »
    I did the Orwell last year, its a very good challenge....
    MB is paced a bit better than the OR. None of those enthusiastic whippets hammering along at a ridiculous pace only to die a slow death half way through

Advertisement