Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Stadia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

They said first half of this year for an official roll-out. They're cutting it tight though,

It's mad that they released a product like Chromecast with Google TV without support for Stadia, though its typical of Google's half assed commitment to a lot of their products.

I'm a big fan of Stadia, it's fits my gaming needs fairly well as I don't have a lot of time these days for gaming (unlike when I was < 30), it lets me grab an hour or two to play here and there without the expense of a PS5/Xbox or gaming PC. Think there's a lot of people like me who it probably suits who were big gamers in the past but with kids/work etc now don't want to invest in consoles/PC for them to just sit idle most of the time.

I worry though that Google are going to let Stadia just wither on the vine and eventually be canned due to their lack of investment, promotion and follow-through. Unfortunately their track record of abandoning products isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just my opinion but I can't see them canning it to be honest. Gaming is the biggest entertainment market there is and things are starting to go towards streaming, similar to other entertainment industries. Granted gaming is different in terms of tech required etc but it's getting there.

Mobile gaming is huge in India, China and Japan and whoever breaks into that market with suitable streaming (Stadia, Microsoft, Amazon or others) is going to have access to almost 3 billion smartphones to try and sell games and services to. Now that may not happen for years yet but it will get there.

I think it's worth also considering that there is a younger generation who's primary way to play games is on a smart phone with touch controls so there is that demographic coming up that will potentially gravitate towards or be comfortable with gaming on phones.

This is obviously a simplified look at it because there are so many finer details to work out etc etc but I see the above as a high level overview of how it will possibly go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sweetie wrote: »
    Got my stadia delivered yesterday but no email or code yet for RE8. when should I expect it or will it be on my account when I set it up later?
    thanks

Can I ask, how did you order?
    Like any time I am on the website it takes me to the Google play store to download the app and THEN purchase re8. Am half worried I'll end up just buying the game without getting the actual console.

Like any time I am on the website it takes me to the Google play store to download the app and THEN purchase re8. Am half worried I'll end up just buying the game without getting the actual console.

For me I bought the game and about 24 hours later I got an email with a discount code from Google with a link to the controller/Chromecast bundle and with voucher applied it comes to €0.0 and free shipping.
    Think this offer is over in the next few days, it's also while stocks last so if you are planning on doing it I'd buy sooner rather than later if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

KingCong wrote: »
    It's mad that they released a product like Chromecast with Google TV without support for Stadia, though its typical of Google's half assed commitment to a lot of their products.

I'm a big fan of Stadia, it's fits my gaming needs fairly well as I don't have a lot of time these days for gaming (unlike when I was < 30), it lets me grab an hour or two to play here and there without the expense of a PS5/Xbox or gaming PC. Think there's a lot of people like me who it probably suits who were big gamers in the past but with kids/work etc now don't want to invest in consoles/PC for them to just sit idle most of the time.

I worry though that Google are going to let Stadia just wither on the vine and eventually be canned due to their lack of investment, promotion and follow-through. Unfortunately their track record of abandoning products isn't good.
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Just my opinion but I can't see them canning it to be honest. Gaming is the biggest entertainment market there is and things are starting to go towards streaming, similar to other entertainment industries. Granted gaming is different in terms of tech required etc but it's getting there.

Mobile gaming is huge in India, China and Japan and whoever breaks into that market with suitable streaming (Stadia, Microsoft, Amazon or others) is going to have access to almost 3 billion smartphones to try and sell games and services to. Now that may not happen for years yet but it will get there.

I think it's worth also considering that there is a younger generation who's primary way to play games is on a smart phone with touch controls so there is that demographic coming up that will potentially gravitate towards or be comfortable with gaming on phones.

This is obviously a simplified look at it because there are so many finer details to work out etc etc but I see the above as a high level overview of how it will possibly go.

I agree - there is definitely a market for Stadia at the moment but there is such a huge scope for cloud gaming in the next decade as games become even bigger in size. They have the opportunity to get a foothold in the cloud gaming market now for the future. Sometimes though, I feel their marketing is lackluster - so many people in the gaming community have never even heard of Stadia, let alone tried it out.

Just sign into Stadia on your web browser and buy it there. It will then be available to all Stadia devices you are logged into. There is no console per se - just a web or mobile app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Just my opinion but I can't see them canning it to be honest.

I can see them doing it, with licensing the tech to 3rd parties. For example, maybe Ubisoft wants to stream their own games on their own store and pay Google to host it or license the tech and they can host it where ever they want. They have a potential different business model.

IMO, when they stopped game dev, I think that is the beginning of the end of the current business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

wes wrote: »
    I can see them doing it, with licensing the tech to 3rd parties. For example, maybe Ubisoft wants to stream their own games on their own store and pay Google to host it or license the tech and they can host it where ever they want. They have a potential different business model.

IMO, when they stopped game dev, I think that is the beginning of the end of the current business model.

I agree, I'd be afraid this may be the route they'll go. Really hope they don't and that they stick it out and try to make a go of it, with proper marketing and funding to get enough big games on the platform they could have a really serious competitor to the traditional consoles on their hands.

Hopefully they'll have some good Stadia announcements at I/O today.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭radius345

I appreciate I am three years late to this party but bought RDR2 when it was down to €40 there in the Stadia store a few weeks back.

Absolutely blown away by it. Damn near the perfect game, in every sense. So much variety in the missions, great characters, engaging storyline and the visuals are just amazing.

I've been so hooked by it, I haven't even had time to begin RE: Village or Jedi: Fallen Order.

And a game that just begs for repeat play. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

radius345 wrote: »
    I appreciate I am three years late to this party but bought RDR2 when it was down to €40 there in the Stadia store a few weeks back.

Absolutely blown away by it. Damn near the perfect game, in every sense. So much variety in the missions, great characters, engaging storyline and the visuals are just amazing.

I've been so hooked by it, I haven't even had time to begin RE: Village or Jedi: Fallen Order.

And a game that just begs for repeat play. Really enjoying it.

I was lucky enough to get this for free since my mate bought it and we do game share on Stadia. I'm about 20 hours in and it's a serious contendor for my favourite game ever. Looks stunning, the missions and story are great, the characters feel like real people. Really looking forward to playing it every evening after work. Roll on 6 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

I have 3 month trial to Pro up for grabs - PM me. (Tried to apply to my account but refused as I have used a similar code in the past). Should work if you haven't used a 3 month trial code of any sort in the past.

* Update: code gone

• Advertisement

Guys have a 4 year old here mad to play some games on Stadia, can anyone recommend the best ones for his age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

radius345 wrote: »
    Guys have a 4 year old here mad to play some games on Stadia, can anyone recommend the best ones for his age group?

spongebob :pac: kids here 3 & 5 love it. Free with Pro if you have that.

Four new Pro games for June have been announced as well as two new arrivals soon.

https://9to5google.com/2021/05/25/stadia-pro-june-2021-games/

Pro Games for June
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
    MotoGP20
    Chronos: Before the Ashes
    Blue Fire (New)

https://9to5google.com/2021/05/26/control-stadia-release-ultimate-edition/

Two new games (Arriving Soon)
    Control
    Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

Some tasty options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you get a game on Pro, do you keep it forever (so long as you keep paying for pro), or is it possible that games leave Pro entirely?

dulpit wrote: »
    If you get a game on Pro, do you keep it forever (so long as you keep paying for pro), or is it possible that games leave Pro entirely?

Similar to the other sub models, you keep it as long as your are subbed or gain access to the games again if you stop for a while and re sub at a later date.

dulpit wrote: »

You should keep it, even if it leaves pro. You might find down the line games get totally removed if it gets sunset. But they are normally old games no one plays anymore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Or a licensing issue forces it to be removed from Stadia. Unlikely but can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The Ubisoft+ beta on Stadia has been expanded to Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland.
    https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Ubisoft-beta-expansion-and-more-of-your-favorite-Ubisoft-games/ba-p/61554

Not sure if UK also means ROI in this case but I'm in London and it's kind of tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Not sure if UK also means ROI in this case but I'm in London and it's kind of tempting

Clicked through, not available in your region.

Big announcement from Stadia today where they announced that on June 23rd you can play Stadia on Chromecast with Google TV and other Android TV OS devices. This could mean that eventually you can play Stadia on any Android TV without any need for a Chromecast. This will be huge for the Stadia cause.

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Play-Stadia-on-Chromecast-with-Google-TV-and-other-Android-TV-OS/ba-p/62029
    In a few short weeks, we’ll see millions more TVs come to life with games available to play instantly with Stadia. For this initial launch, Stadia will be officially supported on the following devices:
    • Chromecast with Google TV
    • Hisense® Android Smart TVs (U7G, U8G, U9G)
    • Nvidia® Shield TV
    • Nvidia® Shield TV Pro
    • Onn™ FHD Streaming Stick and UHD Streaming Device
    • Philips® 8215, 8505, and OLED 935/805 Series Android TVs
    • Xiaomi® MIBOX3 and MIBOX4

As for Android TV OS devices not on this list, you can opt into experimental support to play Stadia. While this feature is still in development and not every Android TV OS device will work perfectly, you can now try out Stadia and play your favorite games on more screens than ever before.

To get started, install the Stadia app from the Play Store, launch it from the “My Apps” row on your TV, and press “Continue” at the opt-in screen. Be sure to let us know how it goes - your help testing out new features makes it easier for us to get critical feedback.

• Advertisement

Great news, cracking the App on the TV step really opens it up to a whole new audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

Irish Halo wrote: »
    The Ubisoft+ beta on Stadia has been expanded to Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium and Switzerland.
    https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Ubisoft-beta-expansion-and-more-of-your-favorite-Ubisoft-games/ba-p/61554

Not yet out in Éire. But if you use a VPN to sub from a supported region and then link the accounts it'll work fine. Loads have done this in the subReddit. First money of Ubisoft+ is £6 too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

feargantae wrote: »
    Not yet out in Éire. But if you use a VPN to sub from a supported region and then link the accounts it'll work fine. Loads have done this in the subReddit. First money of Ubisoft+ is £6 too.

How is this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Big announcement from Stadia today where they announced that on June 23rd you can play Stadia on Chromecast with Google TV and other Android TV OS devices. This could mean that eventually you can play Stadia on any Android TV without any need for a Chromecast. This will be huge for the Stadia cause.

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Play-Stadia-on-Chromecast-with-Google-TV-and-other-Android-TV-OS/ba-p/62029

They are only supporting Android TV now :D. Is this some kind of joke. How was this not supported at or near launch. It is impressive how Google has botched Stadia.

Looks like yet another big announcement is incoming. Looks like the start of Google launching massive marketing campaigns.

This news would bring Stadia to a large number of US AT&T fiber/5G customers with cheap deals. Google Stadia and AT&T Announce Brand New Partnership
    How is this done?

I haven't done this but I think the gist is - when signing up, the user uses a VPN on their computer with the location set to one that is permitted for Stadia users to get Ubisoft+ (think UK, US, etc). Once sign up is complete and Ubisoft+ is linked with Stadia, users can disconnect VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any word yet on when it's the app is hitting LG TVs? Haven't heard anything since they announced it at the start of the year.

Any word yet on when it's the app is hitting LG TVs? Haven't heard anything since they announced it at the start of the year.

On the latest news update they had the below. So maybe Jun 23rd. Not sure how it is going to work but I imagine the Stadia app will be available in the TV app store around that date (or later)?
    The first version of Stadia on Chromecast with Google TV is launching June 23. We’re also happy to confirm that starting the same day you’ll be able to play Stadia on Android TV OS devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭feargantae

How is this done?

That's what i read on reddit anyway, haven't done it myself

Premier edition is on sale now for 59.99 (normally 90). Not as good as the free with a game offer but still pretty decent if you want it.

• Advertisement

You can now play your games on the browser app on mobile . No need to install the Stadia app. Opens up where you can play a little more as it includes Apple now.

Advertisement