Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Might've been a survey van then I've never seen speedo vans on the m50 though I have seen Garda with speed cams one or twice. Just found it unusual as it wasn't marked at all though it stuck out as it was on its own there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

This thread wouldn't exist if people just obeyed the speed limits.
    It's not rocket science.
    Speeding kills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Crock Rock wrote: »
    This thread wouldn't exist if people just obeyed the speed limits.
    It's not rocket science.
    Speeding kills.
    So would falling off a high horse but it still doe'nt stop people climbing up at every opportunity. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Get an English license

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you mean licence? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pa990 wrote: »
    there are a few spots on motorways that are designated GoSafe locations, apparently as long as they are authorized by AGS, they are entitled to be there.
    If its a GoSafe van , it WILL be marked... unless its a survey van, which are unmarked and dont issue tickets..

However, a Garda ROBOT van may be unmarked.. and it can issue tickets

I thought the Garda vans were being retired?

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-go-safe-vans-3826226-Feb2018/

That's dated February last year so are there any still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anydroid

I was clocked doing 137 km/h near J9 of the M11 on 13 April 2019 in a hire car. A traffic guard pulled me over and showed me the radar reading; I accepted I was speeding and apologised. He took my licence back to his car and told me I would receive a fine and 3 points in the post. He asked if the address on my licence was current, which it isn't, so I gave him my UK address. I didn't get his name or any receipt for the incident. Now almost 5 weeks have passed and I haven't received any Fixed Charge Notice at either my UK or Irish address. So my questions are:
    1. How long does it take to issue these FCNs, and do they have to issue within a certain number of days of detection?
    2. How can I be sure the FCN isn't lost in the post and that my time to pay isn't running down?

They really should issue receipts for these encounters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭macchoille

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the FCN from a marked Gosafe van ? One of the lads in work is pretty sure he was over the speed limit when he passed one on Sunday May 19th but nothing came in his post.

Is it a case it could take weeks/months to be sent out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I thought the Garda vans were being retired?

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-go-safe-vans-3826226-Feb2018/

That's dated February last year so are there any still around?

we have a Garda speed van that does a "beat" around rural North Cork and possibly other areas. I'm led to believe it's a job for a Gard on light duties pending retirement. Plain white van, would easily fool you and not limited to specific spots like a gosafe van is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Question - what is the status of ANPR on the Garda Road Policing Units. Can it record speed and do they have to pull you over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Done some searching of the forum but no dice.
    Got pulled over for speeding. Guard didn't mention I'd be getting a fcpn. Seemed to be just a warning tbh. But the fine has arrived anyway. I've been pulled before and informed I can expect the fine and points at the roadside.
    Do I have to be told at the roadside? I would imagine not. Just a shame I wasted a cap wringing and got done anyway.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Blahfool wrote: »
    Done some searching of the forum but no dice.
    Got pulled over for speeding. Guard didn't mention I'd be getting a fcpn. Seemed to be just a warning tbh. But the fine has arrived anyway. I've been pulled before and informed I can expect the fine and points at the roadside.
    Do I have to be told at the roadside? I would imagine not. Just a shame I wasted a cap wringing and got done anyway.
    Thanks.

No you don't have to be told at the roadside, but most guards will tell you. If memory serves me correctly, the fine details the amount of points you will receive.

If you have received the fine but it doesn't mention points then you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

Oh well. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

my wife got done for speeding this week in the 80kph limit on the N7, it was an unmarked Kuga that stopped her just to be aware of same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Damien360

patrickc wrote: »
    my wife got done for speeding this week in the 80kph limit on the N7, it was an unmarked Kuga that stopped her just to be aware of same!

That blue Kuga is very hard to spot and is based in Newbridge. Regularly on the Naas to Newbridge dual carriageway which is an 80 zone. Seen it policing N7 east of Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Can someone settle an argument for me please.

Can the go safe vans get you for speeding if parked up but the side door (sliding door) is open but all other doors are closed?

I’m saying yes but my work colleague is saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can someone settle an argument for me please.

Can the go safe vans get you for speeding if parked up but the side door (sliding door) is open but all other doors are closed?

I’m saying yes but my work colleague is saying no.

Don't see why not.. Unless the operator was setting/packing up at the time, the door being open is irrelevant I'd think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Don't see why not.. Unless the operator was setting/packing up at the time, the door being open is irrelevant I'd think

I would imagine that considering the inside of the Van's are blacked out for lighting purposes with the camera that having the side door open defeats that purpose??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

So I got caught speeding. Last time I was caught we were still spending punts. Garda said I would get a fine in the post and that will be end of it. Does that signify a fine and no points? Fingers crossed. Without a doubt I will be slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

sgthighway wrote: »
    So I got caught speeding. Last time I was caught we were still spending punts. Garda said I would get a fine in the post and that will be end of it. Does that signify a fine and no points? Fingers crossed. Without a doubt I will be slowing down.

You will receive a fine to pay. On the letter it will inform you that you will receive 3 points on your licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kilgore209

Hi, I think I was caught speeding on the m1 just after the airport where the speed reduces from 120km to 80km. It was dark and i noticed a car with its hazard lights on and as i drove by i saw a sequence of strobe like flashes on a device up on the bank on a tripod. I never seen this before. Is this a new form of speed camera or how does this device work. Is a picture generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dublin72123

Does anybody know if a Uk imported car on british Reg plates (before it was vrt') can be caught by gosafe vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector Island

Hi friends,

I think I may have been caught by a speed camera van on the N11, but I lost my vehicle ownership papers a couple of house moves ago, so the address I'm in now would be different to the one I lived in when I bought the car.

My motor tax is up to date with the new address - is this how they'll trace me?

Many thanks,

Hector Island

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

Hi friends,

I think I may have been caught by a speed camera van on the N11, but I lost my vehicle ownership papers a couple of house moves ago, so the address I'm in now would be different to the one I lived in when I bought the car.

My motor tax is up to date with the new address - is this how they'll trace me?

Many thanks,

Hector Island

It will be sent to the registered address, when that is not paid or the current tenant at that address returns it to the post office a 'yellow' fcpn (summons) will be issued.
    There are a number of other ways you can be tracked down but I won't divulge them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector Island

Killinator wrote: »
    It will be sent to the registered address, when that is not paid or the current tenant at that address returns it to the post office a 'yellow' fcpn (summons) will be issued.
    There are a number of other ways you can be tracked down but I won't divulge them here.

Thanks killinator. I checked the Motor Tax website earlier and it says:

"Please tick the relevant section (Change of Address) on the reverse side of your Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) and return to us with the correct details.
    We will change your details and post a new VRC to you.
    You can also change address online but only as part of an online motor tax transaction.
    You cannot change your address by email or over the phone."

I've changed address while paying motor tax. That should be sufficient, no? I moved house over 2 years ago and have paid motor tax 3 times since then, with no problem receiving my discs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

Thanks killinator. I checked the Motor Tax website earlier and it says:

"Please tick the relevant section (Change of Address) on the reverse side of your Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) and return to us with the correct details.
    We will change your details and post a new VRC to you.
    You can also change address online but only as part of an online motor tax transaction.
    You cannot change your address by email or over the phone."

I've changed address while paying motor tax. That should be sufficient, no? I moved house over 2 years ago and have paid motor tax 3 times since then, with no problem receiving my discs...
    Don't worry yourself, it's gosafes mission to get it to you, not for you to get it from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frannkie95

Any idea if the locations used by speed vans are separate to marked Garda car locations? Garda SUV up by Cork Airport roundabout, was definitely over the 60km/h limit on approach to the roundabout (coming down from 100km/h) but this area is outside the specified speed van location on the Garda website

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

frannkie95 wrote: »
    Any idea if the locations used by speed vans are separate to marked Garda car locations? Garda SUV up by Cork Airport roundabout, was definitely over the 60km/h limit on approach to the roundabout (coming down from 100km/h) but this area is outside the specified speed van location on the Garda website

Garda can do speed checks anywhere they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frannkie95

I am talking specifically about ones that result in fixed charge notices, as in ones where Gardai do not pull you over on the spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you can only wait and see, as said, the Gardai can set up anywhere, the locations on their website are for the gosafe ones

Advertisement