Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dji Tello drone ?

• 02-12-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying one of these, they are about 120 odd new, found a place in Dundrum selling them. Looked at youtube videos and seems like a great little starter drone. It's halfway between a toy and Hobby grade, certainly well above a Syma or a UDI which are just toys exclusively.

Anyone have a Tello? The range on the new updated firmware is supposedly 30m as opposed to 10m which it had when it was released. 30m is good enough to get some basic aerial footage. Night time footage does not look great though but daytime it's quality is much much better then toy drones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I've had a Tello since launch, and it's a great little toy drone.

I get about 10 to 20 meters indoors (you can only fly outdoors if there's zero wind!) and as the optical sensors need a decent amount of light for stable flight, recording video is fine in those situations!

I'd recommend the Tello Boost Combo as no3 only do you get 3 batteries total, but you get an external charger - saves you having to switch the battery in the drone every 1.5 hours to charge all 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 no spark

wats best drone to buy just now

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

no spark wrote: »
    wats best drone to buy just now

That depends on how much you're willing to spend and what you want to do with the drone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I bought the tello standard pack, probably should have bought the boost pack but it's ok I guess. Ye the optical sensor needs plenty of light for stable flight, it drifts about in the dark. It's a cool little drone. I plan to get it up pretty high in the sky later and see if I can get some nice city skyline footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It will defiantly be much better than the other Chinese toys/knock-offs you see similarly priced for sale.

As far as I know DJI don't actually manufacture this drone themselves rather they just put their name on it afterwards, hence the "Powered by DJI" tagline. But I suppose that in itself is still a good sign of its quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Bit of a bump for an oldie here but I got one of these at Xmas as a starter drone to learn the basics on so thought I'd give my input.

Battery life is quite limited (10-12 mins on average) but I bought a couple of spare batteries and a charge pack off Amazon so should get 30-40 mins usage at a time.

As said, it's quite susceptible to wind so I've only been using it on relatively calm days. And the optical sensor definitely rules out night time use, I tried it a couple of times (even in a fairly well lit street) and it just kept moving about too much trying to position itself blind to all intents and purposes.

On the upside, it's very easy to control and with slow mode turned off it can move fairly quickly. I'd been using the app on my iphone to control it but then switched to my son's iPad as the wifi signal is a little stronger for distance, and with the bigger screen it's even easier to control. Video quality is good and very smooth.

All in all, I think it's a great learner one for the money, or for kids to use without worrying about massive ££ if damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

My young fella got one of these from Santa. Much better than the crappy ones he’s had before. One tip I got was to get a Xiaomi WiFi extender. You pair it with the drone then connect to it from your phone and it really does improve the signal. We got a whole football field away without losing control or the video feed.

Advertisement