Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

May be an odd question, but do pirates ever show up on DAB or are they still working off FM only?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

flazio wrote: »
    May be an odd question, but do pirates ever show up on DAB or are they still working off FM only?

Good question .😎 mabe if might be the case down the line that in order for pirates to have a trouble free platform to migrate onto it will eliminate fm for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

See two earlier posts - these are Dublin pirates on FM.
    paulwilson wrote: »
    Easyradio now added to the list in cork
    JDxtra wrote: »
    I understand that Phever has been added to the FreeDAB multiplex. Impressive lineup so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stargas

Our radio industry is in a real mess thanks to BAI. All the DAB trials, including the one still running in Cork and still no future for digital radio. look at the uk. About to launch small scale DAB. hundreds of stations. This is great for listeners. Something for everyone without having to go on TuneIn. Who are these stupid people running our radio into the ground. Hanging on to their FM frequency thinking that is going to save them. If they don't get in DAB when 5G arrives they will be washed away with the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

What is FreeDAB's coverage area? I was able to pick it up on the north side of the tunnel the other day, but it would cut in and out every few seconds (even when the car was stopped at the roundabout, which was strange). Never spotted it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe they should offer them buy one, get one free? Put your FM station on DAB, and you are permitted one additional digital station (with no strict output rules) on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just realised, the Eirdab trial in Cork finishes this month. Will they be permitted an extension, or is that just it?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

What is FreeDAB's coverage area? I was able to pick it up on the north side of the tunnel the other day, but it would cut in and out every few seconds (even when the car was stopped at the roundabout, which was strange). Never spotted it anywhere else.

Hi Paul can you give me the exact day it was happening .as we had issues with our broadband provider last week this would cause the cutting in and out effect when stationary.

Regards F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Thinking of buying a pocket digital radio if such a thing exists; new soccer season's coming up & Today FM no no longer have rights to broadcast Premier League Live from 2 to 6 on a Saturday afternoon so.........

.....is BBC Radio 5 Live available on DAB here in Ireland?

Anyone know, given their soccer commentaries (and boxing, MMA/UFC, rugby union & league etc.) are geoblocked on my laptop will they also be geo blocked on a DAB Radio?

No point me investing in a DAB Radio if BBC Radio 5 Live can't be got here and if games're unavailable in your region; same for Talk Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a pocket digital radio if such a thing exists; new soccer season's coming up & Today FM no no longer have rights to broadcast Premier League Live from 2 to 6 on a Saturday afternoon so.........

Anyone know, given their soccer commentaries (and boxing, MMA/UFC, rugby union & league etc.) are geoblocked on my laptop will they also be geo blocked on a DAB Radio?

No point me investing in a DAB Radio if BBC Radio 5 Live can't be got here and if games're unavailable in your region; same for Talk Sport.

bbc 5 live isn't available on dab in the ROI.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Depends on how portable you need it to be.
    If portability is not needed, high quality BBC R5L is trivially available via Freesat in RoI.
    If you're anywhere near the East Coast, the quality of R5L and Talksport is variable but listenable in the evenings on Medium Wave.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

bbc 5 live isn't available on dab in the ROI.
    its available on 693khz,909khz,and 990khz am,best on east coast or near northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Tunein on your phone?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Tunein on your phone?

One; I've no Smartphone (Tech Luddite!).

Two; my concern would be if I did buy a Smartphone and went for Tune In, something that's been suggested to me offline also, it'd still be geo blocked.....?

As I say I'm only looking for options (Combo Box for home listening's on the long finger for quite some time now; that will resolve that aspect) for on the move.

If someone using Tune In on their Smartphone or other portable/mobile device and could guarantee me that without need for a VPN/Hola etc. I could listen to BBC Radio 5 Lives Soccer Commentaries (and Boxing, UFC/MMA, Golf, Rugby/6 Nations etc.) then I'd go get myself a Smartphone purely for the Tune In option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

TuneIn block commentaries for PL games as i tried numerous times last season on 5 live and Talksport. VPN is the only way but many are limited.

Does anyone know if any other radio station in ROI have the rights to the PL on Saturdays??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anglers

Eirdab cork have stopped broadcasting as 12 month trial finishes. Only Dab services in cork is RTE on Dab Mix 1 and FreeDab block 5A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Are the test blocks 5A and 5B still running in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 A Teddy bear

Anglers wrote: »
    Eirdab cork have stopped broadcasting as 12 month trial finishes. Only Dab services in cork is RTE on Dab Mix 1 and FreeDab block 5A

Sure all eirdab had was a couple of crappy religious stations and a college station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

coggy79 wrote: »
    TuneIn block commentaries for PL games as i tried numerous times last season on 5 live and Talksport. VPN is the only way but many are limited.

Does anyone know if any other radio station in ROI have the rights to the PL on Saturdays??
    Are they available with an old uk sky card in an old sky box?
    I have them on UK Dab in Arklow, so no restrictions but am obviously in a good signal area for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,754 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Are they available with an old uk sky card in an old sky box?
    I have them on UK Dab in Arklow, so no restrictions but am obviously in a good signal area for that

R5L is on Freesat. I assume the PL commentary is on that, as it's the normal UK service.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

coggy79 wrote: »
    Today FM have had it for years unless something has changed this season. Newstalk do Sundays.

Today FM have had it for years unless something has changed this season. Newstalk do Sundays.

Today FMs contract finished at the end of last season and they either cant get the rights or aren't bothered! I too, wonder who will get the rights for Saturdays! Would have thought Newstalk but maybe its too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Tunein on your phone?

One; I've no Smartphone (Tech Luddite!).

Two; my concern would be if I did buy a Smartphone and went for Tune In, something that's been suggested to me offline also, it'd still be geo blocked.....?

As I say I'm only looking for options (Combo Box for home listening's on the long finger for quite some time now; that will resolve that aspect) for on the move.

If someone using Tune In on their Smartphone or other portable/mobile device and could guarantee me that without need for a VPN/Hola etc. I could listen to BBC Radio 5 Lives Soccer Commentaries (and Boxing, UFC/MMA, Golf, Rugby/6 Nations etc.) then I'd go get myself a Smartphone purely for the Tune In option.

Talksport 1 & 2 don't seem to be geo blocked, Leeds and Notts Forest was not blocked earlier and Palace v Everton isn't blocked right now, listening via the " Listen Live " option on Talksport website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe it's different for Premier league games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Maybe it's different for Premier league games?

I'm not with you, Palace v Everton IS a Premier League game and it wasn't geo blocked this afternoon.

Was pleasantly surprised to be able to listen to TalkSport & BBC Radio 5 Live today on both laptop & newly opened, two year old Smartphone (had to get Vodafone assistant to D/L the apps for me though......that's how much of a Tech Luddite I am!).

Back to FM tomorrow thoiugh; Newstalk from 2 & 4:30pm til 7 with Sunday Double Headers for next 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 John the anorak

peking97 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if RTE have any plans to extend their DAB radio coverage?

I'd wager that it's more likely for RTE to announce the closure of their dab network rather than expand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Met somebody recently who was bitterly disappointed at not being able to receive his beloved BBCs on a DAB radio which had been given to him as a gift, specially for BBC radio (he lives in Dublin) :(

Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

galtee boy wrote: »
    I'm not with you, Palace v Everton IS a Premier League game and it wasn't geo blocked this afternoon.

Hopefully that will continue. I've never been able to listen to premiership games online without a vpn. I get a repeated "We're sorry but for rights reasons..." message on loop.

Advertisement