Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Canal Cycle Path - Be Careful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That car was set on fire last night, it was on the DFB twitter page

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

up as far as Park West has been fine all summer in fairness , the local kids seem to be more interested in diving in the canal rather than hassling cyclists

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

coward wrote: »
    The 4th and 5th car to be left at this spot near the 11th lock in under two weeks.

Usually confined to the fields on the other side of the canal - away from houses and people. Worrying to see them so active on this side.

Also, smashed up gates (which now have concrete bollards placed in front), overturned bins, and glass/debris all over the ground.
    It's very sad. Such a nice morning cycle on that route otherwise.

But yeah, lets put in kissing gates. That'll fix everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What can actually be done about the antisocal behavior here? More gates smashed this morning and a car still burning on the towpath at the 11th lock at 7.30m. I've contacted the guards and they've fobbed me off to waterways to secure it e.g. close all the gates. I've contacted the ministers office with no reply what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

tnegun wrote: »
    More gates smashed this morning and a car still burning on the towpath at the 11th lock at 7.30m.

I don't know what to think or say. The 11th lock has deteriorated rapidly over the past year.

489713.jpg

489714.jpg

• Advertisement

The scrotes were burning out the CCTV poles on the way home. I've emailed the Mayor of SDCC's office to see what action if any they can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The scrotes were burning out the CCTV poles on the way home. I've emailed the Mayor of SDCC's office to see what action if any they can take.

The estates beside there have been **** holes for years. The carry-on is being moved from the park up the road because of the complaints and they are just moving to the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The last time I passed the 11th lock area (back in March) it was like a zombie apocalypse... I find the R134 a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LennoxR wrote: »
    I had no issues to be honest, I suppose it was too early for the anti-social element to be out.
    Do you have the look of somebody "not to be messed with"? I think that can be a big factor. I remember going through a stage of every young scumbag asking me for smokes so would actually ask in advance, look them dead in the eye, "have ye got a smmmmmooooke?", and just a general air of confidence, or having the look of being a nutjob not to be messed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I don't know what to think or say. The 11th lock has deteriorated rapidly over the past year.

489713.jpg

489714.jpg

I think the main issue is they've made a wide paved path from the back of Lindisfarne (Council estate) onto the tow path - before there was only the gate a kissing gate a little further up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you have the look of somebody "not to be messed with"? I think that can be a big factor. I remember going through a stage of every young scumbag asking me for smokes so would actually ask in advance, look them dead in the eye, "have ye got a smmmmmooooke?", and just a general air of confidence, or having the look of being a nutjob not to be messed with.

Jeez I don't think so. Just lucky that day I think.

I'm sad to see it's deteriorated this much though. It looks like it's got really bad now.

No response from the SDCC mayor or even acknowledgement of my email so I emailed every Clondalkin elected councillor last night and got one acknowledgement at 3am! so hopefully one will take action.

A word of warning to anyone cycling today a manhole cover was removed near the 11th lock last night and was left open. I think they were attempting to burnout the cabling for all the CCTV towers as they have destroyed 2 in the last 72 hours.

I don't know why that section has gone downhill so much in the last 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

mloc123 wrote: »
    I don't know why that section has gone downhill so much in the last 6 months...

What's happened that it's gone so bad? I brought friends down there a year ago to show them both canals and Griffeen Park out to Maynooth but wouldn't encourage anyone to go that way now. I've not been out the Grand since then as have moved house and it's not so convenient.

I wonder if it is linked to the works that took place at Adamstown. Up until then I cycled it every couple of weeks, and although it was a bit of a **** hole it felt fine, no burnt out cars and gates that had been smashed through. That section was then partially closed off due to the works, after it opened again it seems to have gone downhill. I have not used it since March (ran home from town) and that section was my fastest two km splits.

I've gotten a few responses back now and been put in touch with the community policing team so lets see what happens.

Apparently there has been a crack down on drug dealing in some of the estates and this may be an attempt to create a new safe zone by destroying the CCTV. The joy riding seems to be an escalation of the scramblers that went unchecked for the past few months.

This was the turning point I remember https://www.thesun.ie/news/2650179/stabbing-clondalkin-gardai-arrest-four/ as after this the crowd that hung around the 9th shifted to the 11th and attracted more with them and the area disintegrated further. The 9th is more public/visible so that may have kept behavior in check rather than the more isolated 11th.

It's a mess. between Clondalkin and Grange Castle, it's just littered with broken glass, bits of smashed up cars/engines. The bins have been knocked over and are overflowing. Burn marks all over the place, from bonfires, burnt out cars, lamp-poles broken open and burnt out. Gates smashed to bits, hedgerow destroyed..
    Wtf is wrong with people.. Poor wildlife as well, who have more intelligence than the subhumans who are responsible.

I haven't cycled home that way in a long time. Mornings are quiet. You still have people walking their dogs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

The mess is gradually being moved up from Bluebell I think.

The odd morning you see a private security company moving up the canal path down there keeping an eye on things, further up there is nothing.

Mainly though the posters who called out the Lindisfarne estate are right along with probably the Kilmahuddrick estate. Absolute holes since the day they were built over 30 years ago beside the canal.

The latest generation of scum bags seem to have taken to bringing out cars and acting up on the canal as the areas around those estates they would have used in the past become business parks with security and busier with the enhanced road network.

Emailed the local politicians myself , including a former Olympic boxer , none appear to have done anything, was also reffered to waterways Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is it safe to run this way early in the mornings (say 6:45 to 7:15 ish?)

Used to run that way last year and it was always fine, was going to start again in a few weeks but now having doubts.

Used to run that way last year and it was always fine, was going to start again in a few weeks but now having doubts.

Should be at that time. It's not that you are guaranteed trouble it's more there can be a lot of debris around in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

I have started getting back into cycling and use the canal from grangecastle to suir road .

It is a filty , rat infested disgrace. Below is a list of things i have seen over the summer from grangecastle to inchicore

Open drug dealing / taking.
    Being faced with a scramber doing wheely towards me
    Family drinking cans with very young kids sitting with them, all pissed.
    Some guy masterbating.
    Glass everywhere
    Burnt out bins / bins on fire.

Town is a pleasure compared to the rest further out.

I have contaced several local reps about this, nothing back.

Dont know if it can ever be sorted out

That Private Security Company seem to just empty the bins at least that's all I've ever seen them doing they are out far to early for the scrotes. Another co were out today and yesterday pulling cables so am cautiously hopeful they are replacing CCTV cabling.

It will be fine, I cycle it daily sometime between 07.30 and 08.30 it's only later the problems start.

I have started getting back into cycling and use the canal from grangecastle to suir road .

It is a filty , rat infested disgrace. Below is a list of things i have seen over the summer from grangecastle to inchicore

Some guy masterbating.
    Glass everywhere

All of the above is why I avoid in the afternoons/evenings now.
    Mornings in my experience (8.20 - 8.40ish) are fine, in the last few months anyway.
    You might still see the odd rat, but they're the least of your worries!

Some guy masterbating.
    Glass everywhere

To that list I would add horses , the burning of tyres at Ballyfermot and a drunken fisherman

To that list I would add horses , the burning of tyres at Ballyfermot and a drunken fisherman

Ah yes the horses, i was cycing to grangecastle and some lads pulled a rope up in front of me tied to a horse, sorry boss the horse bolted as they had a laugh.

Me cycling has taken a car off the m50 but with this **** going on a car crash seems to have less odd then an invident on the canal.

Shane ross should be made do this a few times , maybe

I have cycled the royal canal a bit and there is no stretch as bad as grangecastle to inchicore

All of the above is why I avoid in the afternoons/evenings now.
    Mornings in my experience (8.20 - 8.40ish) are fine, in the last few months anyway.
    You might still see the odd rat, but they're the least of your worries!

I was not refering to the rodents, more like the locals ruining this great amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

It will be fine, I cycle it daily sometime between 07.30 and 08.30 it's only later the problems start.

I run it regularly including mid-morning today and it was fine. The scumbags generally keep to themselves (3 sitting on the 11th Lough this morning).

They've also put a concrete barrier in front of the new access road into Lindisfarne and reinforced the kissing gates into Bawnogue further up.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Nothing to add except that it's really sad to see such a nice amenity destroyed like this. I suppose it's a mirror into the anti-social behaviour that's rife in some parts of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

489713.jpg

489714.jpg

That's clearly done by a cyclist fed up with the gates.

Advertisement