Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Not much of a delay for me. So your revolut card has a US address?

No an Irish address. Not sure how it worked ????

Perhaps just a coincidence.

It took the payment in Euro so this was not the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

dingding wrote: »
    No an Irish address. Not sure how it worked ????

Perhaps just a coincidence.

It took the payment in Euro so this was not the difference.

I'll wait till my trial ends and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Aleena Loose Banker

Lads is it possible to turn the old school chime off, and just have it notify via the phone app, and/or Google Home? Or better yet the Sonos?

I'd like to have the option to silence the doorbell, and it just be a vibrate on my phone when someone rings it.

Lads is it possible to turn the old school chime off, and just have it notify via the phone app, and/or Google Home? Or better yet the Sonos?

I'd like to have the option to silence the doorbell, and it just be a vibrate on my phone when someone rings it.

You can turn the bell off in the webpage and the app.

You can also snooze alerts for up to 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Lad's , how is everybody getting on with their Nest Hello's at this stage now that ye have them a while ? , is it working as designed? any issues? , looking at getting one imported if all is well. is the announcing over google home working correctly? ( i have 3 google homes at the moment and id rather it announced over them than the chime!) .....

• Advertisement

Moreilly wrote: »
    Lad's , how is everybody getting on with their Nest Hello's at this stage now that ye have them a while ? , is it working as designed? any issues? , looking at getting one imported if all is well. is the announcing over google home working correctly? ( i have 3 google homes at the moment and id rather it announced over them than the chime!) .....

Best thing ever. It's brilliant security device. The fact it records all the time is great. Night mode is very good. Got a sneaky takeway the other night and muted alarm so kids wouldn't know. Nice feature. Face recognition is great to. I wouldn't bother with any other outdoor cam at our house as can see everything happening. Very happy so far. I don't use the talk feature much but it does work. Have annoyed the kids with it a few times.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Best thing ever. It's brilliant security device. The fact it records all the time is great. Night mode is very good. Got a sneaky takeway the other night and muted alarm so kids wouldn't know. Nice feature. Face recognition is great to. I wouldn't bother with any other outdoor cam at our house as can see everything happening. Very happy so far. I don't use the talk feature much but it does work. Have annoyed the kids with it a few times.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Sounds good !, Do you have a Google home? any lag? - regards nest aware subscription - did you have any issues .. sorry for all the questions !!

Sounds good !, Do you have a Google home? any lag? - regards nest aware subscription - did you have any issues .. sorry for all the questions !!

Yes two mini homes. The chime rings immediately and I'd say a couple of seconds before Google home announces. I had to wait for trial to end yesterday and then added then nest aware subscription. Had to switch payment method between my saved cards for it to work. 30 euro for 5 day history as already have sub for indoor cam. Have to say the nest hello is used more. We don't have the indoor cam on when we home.

Yes two mini homes. The chime rings immediately and I'd say a couple of seconds before Google home announces. I had to wait for trial to end yesterday and then added then nest aware subscription. Had to switch payment method between my saved cards for it to work. 30 euro for 5 day history as already have sub for indoor cam. Have to say the nest hello is used more. We don't have the indoor cam on when we home.

One thing to watch for is your broadband limit. I've unlimited virgin but it uploads a lot over a month.. Also a good router helps as a lot of traffic added to network

One thing to watch for is your broadband limit. I've unlimited virgin but it uploads a lot over a month.. Also a good router helps as a lot of traffic added to network
    Sounds good, i have a 20GB allowance a day on the broadband but it just throttles back if the limit is hit until 12 at night then goes back to normal so shouldn't be a issue (hopefully!)
    Look like i'll order on soon , sounds good.... thanks for the info :):)
    is there any aspect of it that does not work as expected due to it being an American version / not currently released here? - Last question @ I promise !!

• Advertisement

Sounds good, i have a 20GB allowance a day on the broadband but it just throttles back if the limit is hit until 12 at night then goes back to normal so shouldn't be a issue (hopefully!)
    Look like i'll order on soon , sounds good.... thanks for the info :):)
    is there any aspect of it that does not work as expected due to it being an American version / not currently released here? - Last question @ I promise !!

I haven't had any issues.. All my devices are set to US English though.. You do need a wired chime and 24 volt transformer.. But you probably knew that already

No issues, I changed the transformer to a 24V one.

The nest aware subscription worked but I had to change my payment card.

A great device.

deadly stuff, thanks a million for the info guy's :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Was onto nest earlier trying to sort something out (for two hours!!!) and during the call asked about the thermostat firmware update to use the sensors, the security system and the doorbell.

There’s no firmware set for release in Europe at all with no visibility on anything upcoming so the sensors will not work at all.

The security system is not slated for a European release due to various regulations here it doesn’t comply with.

The doorbell is due for release within eight weeks. They’re already in their distribution centre.

OU812 wrote: »
    Was onto nest earlier trying to sort something out (for two hours!!!) and during the call asked about the thermostat firmware update to use the sensors, the security system and the doorbell.

There’s no firmware set for release in Europe at all with no visibility on anything upcoming so the sensors will not work at all.

The security system is not slated for a European release due to various regulations here it doesn’t comply with.

The doorbell is due for release within eight weeks. They’re already in their distribution centre.

Thanks for that, the sensors are slated for a UK release at some point? I'm sure I saw some articles on uk tech sites about them. I have three under my bed still in the box. Ive seen reference to updating the firmware manually from a PC. I wonder would they give an updated version directly? The UK site, which is probably just a copy of the US site says there's a version of firmware released in April. I'd be happy enough for them to update before the winter. If I was to choose between the nest indoor iq cam and nest hello I'd pick the hello every time. Probably depends on your house size but covers compete field of view from front of our house.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Thanks for that, the sensors are slated for a UK release at some point? I'm sure I saw some articles on uk tech sites about them. I have three under my bed still in the box. Ive seen reference to updating the firmware manually from a PC. I wonder would they give an updated version directly? The UK site, which is probably just a copy of the US site says there's a version of firmware released in April. I'd be happy enough for them to update before the winter. If I was to choose between the nest indoor iq cam and nest hello I'd pick the hello every time. Probably depends on your house size but covers compete field of view from front of our house.
    Thanks,
    Mick

I want to get the sensors myself as our thermo was placed in one of the warmest spots in the house for some reason (wasn’t there that day). I’ll be eagerly awaiting the firmware & release.

I’m after the hello. Currently have the ring but want to get the whole nest setup especially as the subscription will be more or less the same price. Just hope I don’t have to get any re-wiring done.

I want to get the sensors myself as our thermo was placed in one of the warmest spots in the house for some reason (wasn’t there that day). I’ll be eagerly awaiting the firmware & release.

I’m after the hello. Currently have the ring but want to get the whole nest setup especially as the subscription will be more or less the same price. Just hope I don’t have to get any re-wiring done.

Your pms are full :) yes mine is on front wall of house. I was worried if on doorframe wall would obscure camera. Electrician drilled hole at angle and ran new wires, joined and filled hole.. Think pics earlier in thread

With all this talk of new data protection regulations in the form of GDPR. Are there any implications for video doorbells which in many cases would cover public spaces?

dingding wrote: »

Applies to companies? What about domestic homes?

• Advertisement

Got an email in overnight. Nest hello now available €279 inc delivery direct from nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Got an email in overnight. Nest hello now available €279 inc delivery direct from nest.

Yeah got that too. Will be picking this up soon.

That's about what I paid from the US but I was lucky to somehow avoid customs. Much better buying from Ireland site.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just ordered on from the uk website via Parcel Motel.
    Think I'll prefer the integration with Google Home and Chromecast/Android TVs over the Ring doorbell Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are these difficult to install?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Are these difficult to install?

As per earlier posts. If you have an existing wired doorbell and chime then you are half way there. You will likely need to upgrade your transformer to 24 volts. Most are 8 or 12. All details in the thread. I got an electrician to wire mine.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

It was very simple to install for me, I had space in the chime-box for the chime connecter, and (barely) enough wire at the button to connect it. The only mod I had to make was to file a slot in the back of the angle plate to accomodate the fact that my wares come in from the side, not from the back. It still looks good though and capture my whole driveway.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

as Nest doorbell is now available to buy from nest.com/ie I am planning to buy one , but would like it professionally installed as i don't know where the transformer is!. any one know a good Nest pro installer for Doorbell in north side Dublin

kamin99 wrote: »
    as Nest doorbell is now available to buy from nest.com/ie I am planning to buy one , but would like it professionally installed as i don't know where the transformer is!. any one know a good Nest pro installer for Doorbell in north side Dublin
    There are no nest Pro installers I could find who knew anything about the doorbell in Dublin. An electrician should be able to fit easily though.

• Advertisement

RunDMC wrote: »
    It was very simple to install for me, I had space in the chime-box for the chime connecter, and (barely) enough wire at the button to connect it. The only mod I had to make was to file a slot in the back of the angle plate to accomodate the fact that my wares come in from the side, not from the back. It still looks good though and capture my whole driveway.

R

You can adjust the picture on the app and change the default zoom level. I would look at zooming in a bit and removing the wall on the RHS. My set up is very similar.

Advertisement