Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options
  • 27-02-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think my name is better.

mbtqbe5xaudosr9v4ya2.png
    The sequel to Shadow of Mordor is called Shadow of War. Warner Bros. hasn’t quite announced this yet, but Target spilled the news early (lol) along with the box art and some info (via NeoGAF).

http://kotaku.com/target-leaks-shadow-of-mordor-sequel-shadow-of-war-1792760792

1st one is a really good game, I must finish that one day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think I'm one of the few that didn't like the first game, bought it and played about 8 hours and it just never clicked with me. Really weird problem to have but the camera felt so odd to control, something I've never really experienced in a game. The nemesis system is still a great innovation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Nemesis system is probably the only thing worth bringing forward. The game was fun but pretty lacklustre, once you got reasonable at the QTE's (re: combat) it was a very boring game, finishing out the story wasn't worth the time it took.

The challenges for the Memory of the Sword/Bow/Dagger or whatever they were called were actually quite good fun, gave a reasonable challenge because of the specifics, I'd have liked more of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

The nemesis system was great, some of my friends were plagued by an orc who kept killing me. I'm surprised no one's adapted the nemesis system into an RPG, seems like it would work really well there.

It would be nice if the story had an ending this time. the last one was fairly crap.

• I'll +1 the Nemesis System loved the video intros akin to reservoir dogs :D

Game play wise though it was like a arkham, creed/typical ubi map bastard. I was bored because it felt too familiar in terms of gameplay but that said it was a good game because I did enjoy it inspite of that. How many contradictions is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Found it really boring after a few hours. Combat seemed really repetitive and although I really like LOTR...I had no interest in the story at all.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kudos on the thread title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the story was worth f*ck all in the game. I enjoyed the combat a lot and getting a proper rhythm going (like with the Arkham games) was always incredibly satisfying.

However, the Nemesis system really made the game what it was, and some of the powers you unlocked later in the game to control Orcs really opened it up. Plus the random strengths and weaknesses of individual orcs. In a way, you almost created your own story. One orc kept getting promoted by killing me, so I got every other orc on the board under my control (by helping promote them too), and we all went and took that motherf*cker down.

Was half thinking of playing the first again with the PS4 Pro upgrade in graphics/HDR, this might have tipped me over the edge to do so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Kudos on the thread title :D

Yes, thread title did give a good early morning chuckle, well done dreamers75.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Like what I played of the first game, some of chief/captain lads are bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I liked the 1st game for what it was, a 12 hour romp akin to the Arkham games but without the busy work and an enjoyable nemesis system. I'll pick this up, blast through it in a weekend and exchange/sell it and be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

August release. Awesome. Be well chuffed it keeps to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really not a fan of the first game or similar games like mad max. The batman combat is just not good enough to support an entire game and I find it boring when there are developers like platinum and others doing much better combat systems.

I'd like if they changed the combat but I doubt it. Otherwise it's a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I was a big fan of the original and played through the Bright Lord dlc recently, really enjoyed it too. Has a better 'ending' too.

From Gamespot (found it on Reddit):
    "In Middle-earth: Shadow of War, players wield a new Ring of Power and confront the deadliest of enemies, including Sauron and his Nazgul, in a monumental battle for Middle-earth. The open-world action-adventure game is brought to life through the expansion of the award-winning Nemesis System. The robust personalization from the first game is now applied to the entire world where the environments and characters are all shaped by player actions and decisions, creating a personal world unique to every gameplay experience." Shadow of War is set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. "Following the amazing reception to Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, we massively expanded every dimension of the game, including the world, the story, the RPG systems, the core gameplay, and of course the personal player stories of the Nemesis System," Monolith Productions VP Michael de Plater said in a statement. "As lifelong fans of Middle-earth, we are so grateful to have the privilege to bring to life the most incredible fantasy world ever created in a new way, for a new generation. With Middle-earth: Shadow of War, we can't wait to see the amazing stories players are going to create and share." Shadow of War's updated Nemesis System features an element called "Followers." These are characters that will add "entirely new stories of loyalty, betrayal, and revenge." The Nemesis System from the first game was a gameplay system that allowed enemies to remember every encounter with the player. The enemies also have different personalities.

• Was going to complain about the lack of gameplay in the trailer until I spotted at the end it's going to be shown next week. As I said earlier the only problem I had with the first game was it felt to familiar but that was more my problem I think rather than the games. Be very interested to see what they have done with nemesis in this.

Have to say I'm a fan of short periods between announcement and release, can't recall the last AAA I played that was released only 6 months after an announcement :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think my name is better.
    You missed the opportunity to use Shadeux of Moredor :p

Shadow of War sounds quite generic, it certainly needs the Middle-earth prefix. Search for * "of war" and you get Game of War, Gears of War, God of War, Faces of War, Prisoner of War, Men of War, Gems of War, Path of War...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

The Nemesis system is probably the only thing worth bringing forward. The game was fun but pretty lacklustre, once you got reasonable at the QTE's (re: combat) it was a very boring game, finishing out the story wasn't worth the time it took.

The challenges for the Memory of the Sword/Bow/Dagger or whatever they were called were actually quite good fun, gave a reasonable challenge because of the specifics, I'd have liked more of those.

Yeah. I got the GOTY version with all the DLC, and finished the main game, but then started some of the DLCs and went "F*ck This"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The pricing system of this makes it a no on release for me. Seems like they are cutting off parts of the game for their silver and gold editions.

The pricing system of this makes it a no on release for me. Seems like they are cutting off parts of the game for their silver and gold editions.

Gold looks like Game & Season Pass & Gold Warchest [Assume this could be looked on as a preorder bonus]

Silver looks like Game & 1/2 Season Pass, plus silver preorder chest.

Not as bad as it first looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Shougeki wrote: »
    Gold looks like Game & Season Pass & Gold Warchest [Assume this could be looked on as a preorder bonus]

Silver looks like Game & 1/2 Season Pass, plus silver preorder chest.

Not as bad as it first looks.

But are they season passes that contain content available at launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Someone edited the thread title, ruining the joke in the OP! :(

But are they season passes that contain content available at launch?

It is honestly unclear..... Hmmmmmm Wouldnt put it past those gowl's WB.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Someone edited the thread title, ruining the joke in the OP! :(

Who would do such a thing? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shame on whoever edited the title!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what was the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Skerries wrote: »
    what was the title?
    Shadow of Moredor (Shadow of War)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Nice evolution of the Nemesis system. Pity the execution animations look a litte rehashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That actually looks like a lot of fun. Granted, it's just one sequence, so it could still get quite repetitive like the previous version. But I like how it's looking right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Holy. F**king. S**t. That. Looks. AMAZING

Advertisement