Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

• 01-09-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

radio nova is 6 years old today.

in my option it is the best radio station is the best ireland.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you want to try that again maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

26 or 36 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That you Marty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

It was a breath of fresh air when it started.
    Now it's gone very stale, same songs over and over and over again.
    It's also gone more middle of the road, very similar to Today FM now.
    If it had any balls it should model itself on Planet Rock in the UK.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Mr Snow wrote: »

Its my option NOT to listen to Nova until TXFM is no more....:p

furiousox wrote: »
    It was a breath of fresh air when it started.
    Now it's gone very stale, same songs over and over and over again.
    It's also gone more middle of the road, very similar to Today FM now.
    If it had any balls it should model itself on Planet Rock in the UK.

Problem is that the jocks on Planet Rock know their stuff...Nova just has "presenters"...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Do you want to try that again maybe?

why what is your faviotue.?

Problem is that the jocks on Planet Rock know their stuff...Nova just has "presenters"...:)[/QUOTE]

i know planet rock is good but not in ireland on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

why what is your faviotue.?

I think you've just invented a new word. Whatever it is, I like it! :D

I think you've just invented a new word. Whatever it is, I like it! :D

Street talk...its your favorite tune..bro innit !.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

You must be a young fella.

The REAL Radio Nova started 35 years ago.

What you hear now is just an imposter. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Music wise it's my default station. I have to turn off Pat Courtney though, painful to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Walter2016 wrote: »

Thank you. I knew I had listened to Radio Nova during my mispent youth many moons ago.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Thank you. I knew I had listened to Radio Nova during my mispent youth many moons ago.

Ironically they're still playing the exact same tunes...except now they're classics...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭prunudo

I actually think the music has got better compared to a couple of years ago, of course it be nice to have it more like planet rock but let's face it, this is Ireland and it would never work, too niche unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

jvan wrote:
    I actually think the music has got better compared to a couple of years ago, of course it be nice to have it more like planet rock but let's face it, this is Ireland and it would never work, too niche unfortunately.

Somewhat agree, but the playlist is still pretty predictable.

However, back when it (re)started, you'd be forgiven for thinking that all they had was Best of the Eagles and Rock Anthems vols 1 and 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Nova used to be really good but in the last couple of years it's U2 every hour and then hipster rock and one or two classics.

This is the top 20 listner voted songs from earlier this year

20 Black Sabbath Paranoid
    19 Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell
    18 The Doors L.A. Woman
    17 The Clash London Calling
    16 U2 One
    15 Foo Fighters Times Like These
    14 Thin Lizzy The Boys Are Back in Town
    13 Red Hot Chilli Peppers Californication
    12 The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter
    11 Free All Right Now
    10 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
    9 Bruce Springsteen Born to Run
    8 Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
    7 The Beatles A Day in the Life
    6 Oasis Wonderwall
    5 John Lennon Imagine
    4 Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb
    3 Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
    2 AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long
    1 Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven

The way it is going you'd be lucky to hear one of the top ten once a day. AC/DC used to be played regular (yes, I am a big fan) but now they seem to be relegated to the Friday Night Rock Show.....which is just more of the same stuff as during the day.

Half heard an ad today that they are taking Friday Night 80s from Today FM. Does this mean they are getting rid of Alice Cooper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

May not be those exact songs, but those bands are the kernel of their playlist, and rarely the more obscure tracks. I used to wonder whether they'd licensed a particular playlist for a set amount of time and were financially or contractually limited to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Had the full list of the listener poll emailed to me by Pat Courtnay when it came out (wasn't in country to hear it). Still have it on my desktop (that's where I got the Top 20 above).

They need to get back to their roots - classic rock. Forget the crap going now that classes themselves as rock - Bastille etc. Way too much of that and less real stuff. Even if they started playing more 60's - outside of what they rarely play, it would be an improvement.

Plus, where is the old Irish stuff? There is no Horslips, Mamas Boys, Lizzy (apart from the very rare play). I've lost count of the times I've requested Horslips or Mamas Boys - never played :( Only times I've heard them on the radio is on Late Date on Radio 1 :o

Those so called listener polls are BS...theyre just a poll of the songs they play that the listeners pick from..very few of their choices would be my favorite tracks...it seems that Nova listeners are an easy bunch to please..which worries me a bit...as for Irish stuff, I've NEVER heard InTua Nua's version of Somebody to love , far bettet IMO than the Jefferson version...think i heard Mama's Boys once during the day.....just sayin..;)

P.S...lots of Irish stuff on Pat James show..;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's one of my favourite stations anyway. Anytime heading to Dublin, it's tuned in around Mullingar. Coming back I'm somewhere around Longford before I lose the signal. Happy out with that.

Play it quite a bit on the internet too.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It's one of my favourite stations anyway. Anytime heading to Dublin, it's tuned in around Mullingar. Coming back I'm somewhere around Longford before I lose the signal. Happy out with that.

Play it quite a bit on the internet too.

So thats about 2 hours a day....thats about the right recommended dosage per day....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Scanning the stations without looking you can always tell its Nova from what's playing, Queen, Springsteen, U2 etc etc, it's gone very predictable.
    The odd time they will play something different, but then its back to the usual suspects. I have always wondered if it is to do with licencing or just the orders from above as to what they can select from.

Walter2016 wrote: »

did chris barry do a talk show or muisc show?

what was the frist line up?

was it available all over ireland?

what was the first song play?

any more info i should can you let me know

thanks for your feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

did chris barry do a talk show or muisc show?

what was the frist line up?

was it available all over ireland?

what was the first song play?

any more info i should can you let me know

thanks for your feedback

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Nova_(Ireland)

http://www.irishpirates.com/nova_jingles.htm

FanadMan wrote: »
    Half heard an ad today that they are taking Friday Night 80s from Today FM. Does this mean they are getting rid of Alice Cooper?
    Alice Cooper is moving to Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

They have a heavy rotation of the exact same songs. I turn it on in the morning, boom. Same song they played yesterday, turn off. Try again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The breakfast show is bordering on insufferable, all they ever seem to be discussing the last few months is how Marty and Dee are having a baby.

Yes, it is wonderful and genuine congratulations to them both, but having the entire show and every single topic of conversation revolve around that is really wearing thin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kensington wrote: »
    The breakfast show is bordering on insufferable, all they ever seem to be discussing the last few months is how Marty and Dee are having a baby.

Yes, it is wonderful and genuine congratulations to them both, but having the entire show and every single topic of conversation revolve around that is really wearing thin.

They may be thinking that if it worked for D'Arcy on TodayFM (somehow) it might work for them. Just wait til the running, porridge, running talk starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

TXFM or even RTE Gold is better at this stage.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Loved it when it started up. Don't see the point now. Handier to just burn a cd of the same 20 songs and stick it on shuffle.

Also wouldn't have to listen to Sharon Ni Whatserface, with her feckin' a-dees an' nine-dees...

Advertisement