Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Kilmac is an entirely different town now, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

No two greenways are unique and will have different mixes of recreation and transport uses. And different parts of the Greenway will differ by a lot.

For many of the more rural ones it's fair to say that the project driver was not sustainable transportation improvements but using an existing route for tourism, recreation and as someone said a linear park.

As someone said I think in the minds of some of the public and some politicans there is confusion between cycling for transport, recreation (a family putting the bikes on the back of the car on a Sunday and driving to the Greenway) and sport cycling.

So it's developed for recreation and tourism but then pointed to as a major sustainable transportation improvement.

Can be a vest frustrating and at worst falsely represent sustainable transportation improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Is there any consequence to missing the date due for decision (yesterday)?

312479 | An Bord Pleanála (pleanala.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

No not at all. That date is a guide for when a decision might be due. There isn't a legal deadline by which ABP needs to make a decision, except in theory for the Strategic Housing Development / SHD planning applications. It takes as long as it takes.

ABP are massively understaff and facing a series of investigations / board issues, which is slowly everything down.

The due date can also be massively misleading. For example, this project for a cycle path along the edge of Dublin Port was due 15th June 2022. There still is no decision. So there may not be a decision on the Blessington Greenway for weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Just lie to me next time please 😥

Thanks for the detailed reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Someone put up locked gates on an access road to the Tralee to Fenit greenway. Signs telling pedestrians to stay out too. It’s supposedly a public road, but someone must not want people passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is this the "anti social" behavior we keep hearing about on greenways ?

Terrible vandalism of a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Listowel greenway linking to abbeyfeale and Rathkeale opening today .When Listowel links up to Tralee /fenit ,it will surely take some beating

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Must bring my bolt cutters with me the next time I head out that way in case the illegal obstruction is still in place.

Make sure to bring a few "caution NIMBY's" signs to put around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

While this is not entirely greenway related it will, if it goes through, connect to the Grand Canal greenway at a couple of spots and will have one of it's main access points less than 3km by road from the Barrow Blueway as well as possibly being the start of a long distance cycling/walking network on the old Bord na Mona bogs or new Bord Na Mona windfarms.

Bord Na Mona have published a draft amenity plan for the proposed Ballydermot windfarm which will be on a huge site in West Kildare and East Offaly, I believe it's the biggest single investment that BNM are likely to make in wind power. There's not much point me going into all the detail when it's all in the booklet

and map

Personally I'd be very pleased with this plan, it has everything I asked BNM for when I did the initial public consultation with them back in 2020, the bit I would have concerns about is the location of the equestrian only section of trails, firstly because it incorporates some of the existing Killyguire to Cush small bog road that I ride regularly on my gravel bike and also because it would block walker/cyclist access to and from the windfarm complex from Lullymore Heritage park which is the main tourist draw in the area at present.

I'd be interested to see what people think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some photos on the Waterford forum of the ongoing upgrade work on the Bilberry road bringing the greenway into the city centre, including installing a cantilevered boardwalk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry County Council to commence work on the South Kerry Greenway via direct labour this quarter

Tender out for the more complex sections (bridges/viaducts/tunnels)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Excellent. That will be one of our best when it's finished. The views along Mountain Stage alone will be well worth it.

• Galway rubbish again 🙄 Its nearly as bad as Kerry at this stage

"not consulting enough" seems to be the go to NIMBY catchphrase now.

They did consult but they thought your ideas were stupid. Consult does not mean do everything you propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Where's the disconnect here? There's always 2 sides to a story. One side saying extremely little consultation, the other saying tonnes.

To be fair to the landowners, it wouldn't surprise me if the council aren't listening to them or taking their recommendations on board.

The recommendation is to build a Greenway along the road which is stupid.

I never understood this "privacy" argument. Most of the fking country lives in places that people walk past.

• The accusation was levied (justly) against the project teams the first time around.

The second time around, it was different folks running it and following the greenway strategy doc, liaising with anyone who would talk to them.

There's literally been hundreds of emails, phone calls, group meetings, one-to-one meetings, leaflet drops etc

Essentially they've gone overboard in the communication side so they won't lose a challenge based on lack of engagement.

Of course you'll still have a local TD or councilor who'll pull a fast one to get their name in the paper but the project group are communicating to them too so those folks are well aware of how much communication is happening and they know how silly they'll look if they start raising a racket.

Don't get me wrong, I understand losing land is never nice, but at the end of the day someone is going to lose some land and be fairly compensated for it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Here we go;

“We’re expected to give up everything but yet we don’t see a real benefit in the way the route is going as it doesn’t connect villages or neighbours, our kids can’t use it to cycle to school,” she insisted.

It's useless for locals. Who is this greenway for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Okay so it sounds like they've massively upped their communications. But are they actually taking stuff on board? Perhaps not.

Can someone here provide a route map? If it "doesn't connect villages", then indeed I would also be very upset.

They don't have to take stuff on board. If the stuff is stupid it shouldn't be taken on board.

If the quoted resident is worried about road safety for her kids going to school she should campaign for cycle lanes not campaign to stop a greenway. Its not a one or the other thing and greenways are not for the thing she suggests.

My guess would also be that she doesn't give a sht about safe cycling and that's just a NIMBY red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A greenway going through the area but not having any link to nearby villages is profoundly stupid.

Why should a village & people living in its environs supports a greenway that is of no use to them whatsoever? It would surely be easy enough to either reroute closer to the village or have a short spur off the main greenway to connect it. Until we see the full details of the proposed route its hard to judge either way, but they absolutely should be linking up nearby towns and villages to the greenway.

Her idea of running greenways along the side of the roads is profoundly stupid though

Does it have "no" links to nearby villages ?

I would imagine there will be a road from village to Greenway same as the rest of them.

The woman quoted is from StoneyIsland which from what I can see doesn't have a village or any kind of road capable of taking cycle lanes so it's just NIMBY red flag bllsht.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

In the absence of a disused railway/canal or the like, it's likely simply not feasible to run a greenway into many/most towns/villages.

Makes sense, as you say, to route as close as possible to towns/villages and then provide roadside spurs (foot/cycle paths) connecting into the urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If there are objections from going through fields then they're be war fare taking away gardens changing road layouts ect ,

Although there is something in that .. to have access points near villages , ways to get on and off the Greenway .. .

And if a path can go along the road to the village so much the better , not many footpaths in rural areas ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some work beginning on the Sligo Greenway it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is the route at present;

It connects to the towns and villages along the route. Between Portumna and Gort, I dont think there is anything which can be realistically described as a village. The whole area is one-off houses every couple of hundred metres along every road. With the Derrybrien Wind Farm to be decommissioned, maybe it would make sense to make use of some of the access roads for it which presumably will be of no use after decommissioning.

Interestingly (and positive) that the route is west of the N67 north of Kinvara, avoiding the recently created walking/cycling path recently created. It isn't suitable for something which intends to be a Greenway, hopefully they dont later decide it is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Grand canal upgrade progressing.

KCC: Further to commencement of construction of the Grand Canal Greenway, Kildare by John Cradock Ltd on behalf of Kildare County Council, the existing Grand Canal towpath from Sallins to Naas Golf Club will be closed to pedestrian and cycle traffic from the 5th of December 2022 until the 11th of September 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

That’s great news. I think I read somewhere they will be finally starting Lucan to Hazelhatch very soon also.

Advertisement