Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I couldn't resist a quick listen. Put it on around 12:45, and just caught on of the presenter signing off, saying she had been on for a few hours. I listened for another 45 mins or so and didn't hear any other presenter, so there mustn't be someone on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just been catching up on these posts. As a result, I tuned in online to Christmas FM and Dolly Parton's Holly Jolly Christmas was on, so I switched it off! Will try again in a while! I hope they don't play it as much this year as they did last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I heard two different DJs one at 6pm and one at 7pm. The 7pm DJ started her slot with Fairytale of New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah it was lovely to work from home today and have Christmas FM on in the background. The kids were delighted.

Looking forward though to playing some of their other streaming channels this year for a week or two though, rather than listening to the main live one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I just heard What Christmas Means to Me by Paul Young. That's another one for my "good list"! I'm not sure if I have heard that song before, but I see it's been around since 1992 so maybe I did hear it occasionally. I hope I hear that one a number of times this year. I'm pretty sure the presenter on this hour is Emily Brew, having just heard her. I recognize her from Radio Nova as well as previous runs of Christmas FM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah Emily is brilliant. She’s so festive and full of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

That's a cover of the better known Stevie Wonder Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Will refrain until back in work next week, but suspect I'll be drawn in reasonably quickly after that.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have tried and failed year on year to avoid saturating myself with Christmas music too early, so that by Christmas I am not sick of it. Each year I say I will hold out until December.

What date do you fine elves think is the sweet spot, where you haven't started too early so that you are sick of it by the big day, but early enough that you get your fill?

I used to be December 1st but now I go from the last weekend in November. I stop listening to Christmas music actively after Stephens Day so my reasoning is at least this way I get a month of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

IMO it depends how much you listen to it. I would mainly have on in the car once it goes live on FM so could be only 5 mins or up to an hour a day depending on where I am going. I would have it on Alexa as the mood takes me. I find this approach helps me from getting early 'burn out'.

With work being traditionally busy and this year that up a notch again I rarely get much of a chance to listen in. Will have on in the car from 28th Nov. When it goes live and for short spells if I'm working from home, but outside of that it will be limited so I rarely get tired of it... Still like classical and carols too though for a more relaxed Christmas vibe.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That's probably why I don't listen to Christmas music before the end of November. I'm absolutely full on once I start. I don't listen to any songs that aren't Christmas once I start. And I have them on everywhere I am.

I am the same, once I start its nothing but Christmas.

Full disclosure I've already dipped into my Christmas playlist in the last week or so, especially during the dark mornings/evenings.

ChristmasFM got a good blast in the house last night as well. I don't suffer burnout as inventively work will take over and I'll be too busy to listen to any of it bar a few mins here and there so rather than waiting til go live or Dec 1st I dive right into it to get as much of it in over the season.

Every year I always end up listening to ChristmasFM a LOT less than I hope to due to work/life commitments so I try to squeeze in as much as I possibly can as early as I can!

Could have written 99% of that myself @Loughc

I may be basing my phobia (phoebe) on previous years when I had a 30 min commute when in the office and flying most weeks so had the headphones on a lot. My commute now is about 12 mins so even the podcast episodes are stacking up.

Got about 20 mins of Christmas FM in last night and again this morning. Serious bangers being played and it reminded me how much I even love the ChristmasFM jingles inbetween songs, really lifts things up a notch with the festive feels.

The jingles are one of lifes little Christmas pleasures.

• Advertisement

Listening to ChristmasFM now feeding the little man his breakfast and the dj just went on a rant how the Americans calls it holidays and it’s PC gone mad. He said it’ll always be Christmas to him

I like this DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Are they still running the song contest? Did they run it last year? I know the first few years it was big for them. Tbh, I was not really a fan of it as many of the songs were poor.

They are indeed still doing it. Some of the winning songs aren’t bad to be fair but it’s not my favourite segment.

For me I find far worse is someone writing Xmas instead of Christmas! Pet hate 🤬🤬

Was reading a history of Christmas book earlier in the year and the use of Xmas isn't as bas as I had thought, it was explained quite well in fact.. must dig it out and post here.

Interesting there is a history/reason behind it. I had always (incorrectly) assumed it was just people being lazy!

100% felt the same. Was surprised it actually had a historical meaning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

I can admit that I have used it before being lazy. Will be nice to find out the history behind it.

The BIG concern I have about ChristmasFM is after listening to it over the past few days for small 10-20min bursts is the playlist complaints from last year are still there.

Dolly Parton, The Beach Boys, Grandma got run over by a reindeer, Rocking around the Christmas Tree all played every day I listened in, even though I would have tuned in at different times each day.

The playlist seems significantly smaller than previous years with the Big hitters only being played occasionally.

• Advertisement

Ah no, that is not good news. However, I remember when they went live with presenters early last year they played a load of songs that I rarely (& in some cases, never) heard after they went live on FM, fingers crossed that arrangement repeats itself this year and we dont hear Dolly & Co. on an endless loop!

Advertisement