Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Famouus Five

• 12-01-2006 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

We are the famous five,
    Julian,Dick,Ann,George,
    and
    Timmy the dog.

Great memories of that show,they were so sospicious of everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Great show definitely long overdue for a remake !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I always had a soft spot for Ann... :o

famous.jpg

THe books were not great though. Secret seven was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Famous Five spent more time eating than solving mysteries. Seriously, they were always sneaking into the pantry or else having tea/breakfast/lunch/brunch/dinner/elevenses/a picnic. There was always a tongue of ham involved as well which I couldn't help but picture literally as a child.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just read the books, they must have been a 100 stone with the feasts they ate, good memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Was it always smugglers though ? I seem to remember it always being smugglers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Earthhorse wrote:
    The Famous Five spent more time eating than solving mysteries. Seriously, they were always sneaking into the pantry or else having tea/breakfast/lunch/brunch/dinner/elevenses/a picnic. There was always a tongue of ham involved as well which I couldn't help but picture literally as a child.

Ginger beer and ices!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, ginger ale and tongues of ham. How can this stuff be good for kids?
    c - 13 wrote:
    Was it always smugglers though ? I seem to remember it always being smugglers.

Nah, there was one about pirates, it was called "The Smugglers of Pirate Cove".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ahh the memories. i wonder do i still have the books in a box in the attic somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

meldrew wrote:
    Great show definitely long overdue for a remake !

The series was remade in 1997 but was set in the time when the books were written (1940s/1950s) and was rubbish.

Naturally the ultimate Famous Five experience is watching the Southern TV series from 1978-1979 (which had a contemporary setting).

This series needs a DVD release - I bought five VIDEO HOME SYSTEM cassettes (three episodes on each) when they came out in the mid 1990s.

I also interviewed Gary Russell (who played Dick) for a fanzine I used edit/write back in 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The opening credit sequence was filmed only down the road from where I lived in the early 70s, many of the locations used were familair to me.

Crap show though, the Comic Stip did it better! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MsMolko

I remember dressing up as Timmy the Dog. Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The series was remade in 1997 but was set in the time when the books were written (1940s/1950s) and was rubbish.

Naturally the ultimate Famous Five experience is watching the Southern TV series from 1978-1979 (which had a contemporary setting).

This series needs a DVD release - I bought five VIDEO HOME SYSTEM cassettes (three episodes on each) when they came out in the mid 1990s.

I also interviewed Gary Russell (who played Dick) for a fanzine I used edit/write back in 1998.

Saw the 97 one I think. But it was a bit weak. Great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Those pesky kids! I found the theme tune a couple of years ago, here's a link: http://rapidshare.de/files/11017711/Famous_Five.mp3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah I see then in my minds eye skipping down the health land towards the coast!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

didnt like any of the shows but loved th ebooks. its so funny now you think of it 4 little kids taking on big gangs of criminal men and winning lol as if. and the constant eating of ginger beer and ham and bread. the funniest was how they always found some nice person who would just take them in and feed them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

nlgbbbblth wrote:

That's pretty freakin' hardcore!

Funnily enough, I was just looking at the last post about stilly crushes you had when a kid about people off the TV and George (ina!) came to mind.

This was back in 6th Class when I was 12 (that's a 1982 '12', I think it's equal to about 7 years old in this day and age).

Anyways I was mocked about this in class, so I took a pole over of the guys over who was prettier - George (ina!) or Anne. Anne won by just one vote!

A moral victory for me I think.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just have to go prepare for my drag act...

Now that the complete Comic Strip has been released on DVD, you've no excuse not to see 'Five go mad by the sea' and 'Five go mad on Mescilin'.

But I'm still trawling uknova for the original Southern TV programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Remember when the circus came and they were camping near by.There was something dodgy about those circus people.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

oh man

I haven't read those books for years, I used to love them, there was some kind of weird security in them... all the homeliness and love and respect.

good times.

wideangle wrote:
    Remember when the circus came and they were camping near by.There was something dodgy about those circus people.

Five Go Off In A Caravan

Lou and Tiger Dan are the bad guys.

Circus people are generally pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

And C4s 'The Comic Strip presents, Five go mad on mescaline', classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Does anyone remember the piss-take of the Famous Five that RTE showed around 5 or 6 years ago? It was something else, I nearly died. I think Dick started a fight with some guy and broke his nose. It was done in the same style as the series and looked pretty old. (as in late 70s early 80s).

Think it was a one off programme.I'd love to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Den_M wrote:
    Think it was a one off programme.I'd love to see it again.
    See above posts - it was the Comic Strip - one of the first programmes on Channel 4 back in 1982. Most of the cast came from the Comedy Store players and went on to become Alexie Sayle, the cast of the Young Ones, French and Saunders and Lenny Henry to name just a few.

There were huge legal problems about getting the Comic Strip released on DVD, but thankfully everything was resolved and there was a complete box set last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thanks a lot. I saw the posts you mentioned but thought they were about a more recent programme. I'll check that series out.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

they should just re-run it again...love it..

Region 2 DVD of the 1970s series finally on its way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember the 70's series fondly.I had no idea George was a girl until one episode where she was wearing a dress.I got some shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

.......and lashings and lashings of ginger ale :)

I fancied Ann, she was such a girly girl :o
    Fancied is the wrong word, childhood crush maybe. Twas all very innocent

Disliked the bossy one, that was George I think

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

would you have the text of that by any chance? it was a great article, i'd love to read it again, was telling some friends about it last night

jim.morrish.cmj.print@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jim Comic wrote: »
    would you have the text of that by any chance? it was a great article, i'd love to read it again, was telling some friends about it last night

jim.morrish.cmj.print@gmail.com

That post you quoted was from 2006 and the poster hasn't been online since 2015 so I'd guess you're not going to have much luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

How helpful.

Advertisement