Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Hydro2

There is your problem - Hydro2 contains Sio2 which will stain and be difficult to remove if left to dry without being rinsed off properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

doh1988 wrote: »
    There is your problem - Hydro2 contains Sio2 which will stain and be difficult to remove if left to dry without being rinsed off properly.

I'll know for again. I've never had much time for the product anyway, and that foaming was a wasted 10mins.
    A good pre rinse I've found to be just as effective on its own compared with pre rinse and foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thread rival time. Dug out my old box of stuff so some of the these products are prob no longer in fashion but hey ho.

Wash, ironx, tarx, clay, DA with Menzerna medium cut and then finishing polish. Sealed with Collnite.

IMG-20191116-152456.jpg
    IMG-20191116-152946.jpg
    IMG-20191116-153026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Isn't it too cold to use Collinite? I would have thought in this weather you wouldn't be able to polish it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

nc6000 wrote: »
    Isn't it too cold to use Collinite? I would have thought in this weather you wouldn't be able to polish it off.

Good point although with Collinite, if you apply too much you'll find it hard to buff it off in any weather.

Doing a panel at a time helps because you won't be leaving it cure too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I got caught out before with it, and it was a nightmare to get off. Just used a little a did a bit at a time. Was easier than I expected.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I got caught out before with it

We all did :D Especially so for me with 476. I much preferred 845.

I haven't used any wax in years because I've moved onto Gtechniq C2V3 which is a lot less effort and less time consuming plus your hands don't smell like petroly wax afterwards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I haven't used any wax in years because I've moved onto Gtechniq C2V3 which is a lot less effort and less time consuming plus your hands don't smell like petroly wax afterwards :pac:

Ditto, though I'm using TW Sealant Wax, that's stuff is fantastic. Lasts ages and is so damn easy to work with, spray it on everything, glass, plastic and just wipe off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I often applied Collinite 845 at this time of the year, but I did keep the bottle in a cup of warm water before and during application.

I also went for the two thin coats (with plenty time in-between) rather than one thick coat.

One thick coat is a waste of time, energy and wax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Most of the UK sites doing money off on products for black friday incase anyone is looking to grab a few bits. Also closer to home reflect are doing 4x5ltrs of specific product for 50 delivered or 6x1 litres for same price but a bigger selection.

I've not used any reflect stuff before but might grab either one, anyone got recommendations on what might be worth taking on either deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

And also on this island there's 50% off products at https://www.50caldetailing.co.uk/

There's 20% off accessories and apparel

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

1HCXzvi.jpg
    UyYBETy.jpg
    wyoV6fv.jpg
    Old nuts
    kdnEOqs.jpg

Spring clean probably it's first wash for a good two months.

Still have to do the interior surfaces and glass tomorrow might throw on a bit of trim / wheel shine and give the engine bay a going over.

Raging noticed a scrape on my passenger door handle must have happened last night at super market bastards. I suppose luckily the door handle took the brunt of it so a cheaper fix than the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax today, was wet outside but really easy to apply. They recommend spreading with a MF towel on first application. Will see how it holds up.

https://gifyu.com/image/7iiR

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax today, was wet outside but really easy to apply. They recommend spreading with a MF towel on first application. Will see how it holds up.

https://gifyu.com/image/7iiR

I used it before. I liked it.
    Next time I apply it, I’m gonna do the MF towel application as I didn’t do it first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Not done anything much in ages detailing but calipers not long back after paint refresh so pulled the Dlux out put first coat on last night and this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    First wash on the new Tiguan today. Storm Jorge was fast approaching so didn't have much time. Snowfoamed then power washed and used optimum no rinse shampoo. Two bucket method as always with mitt. Just didn't powerwash before drying.. seemed to work fine. I noticed the pressure in my nilfisk much lower. It's been ages since I used it..could be on way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Selling my 8Hp Master Blaster if anyone is interested. Ad is on Facebook Marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/905197639913568/

edburg wrote: »
    Not done anything much in ages detailing but calipers not long back after paint refresh so pulled the Dlux out put first coat on last night and this morning.

What the hell where the pics gone :pac: :pac:

Try again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Very nice,
    Off the OPC ?
    Where did you get them done?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Very nice,
    Off the OPC ?
    Where did you get them done?

Yes off OPC, I sent them over to BCS and got them done with there lifetime warranty paint job.

Tried diy few year's back but slowly fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

edburg wrote: »
    Yes off OPC, I sent them over to BCS and got them done with there lifetime warranty paint job.

Tried diy few year's back but slowly fell apart.

How much if you don't mind telling?

How much if you don't mind telling?

Came to £380 all in with some engineering work done.

300-320 for paint work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Used lockdown as an excuse to give fiesta a proper clean. :D
    Was well overdue.
    Pre clean, snow foam, 2 bucket wash, De tar, de iron, clay and 2 coats of quick detailer and some c2v3 while dodging rain and hail showers!
    Love the colour in the sun :cool:
    dh5fgLX.jpg[IMG][/img]amChIwB.jpg
    [IMG][/img]grFlrvu.jpg

Looks superb Gav!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

finally got around to waxing the car

Wash
    De Tar
    wash
    clay bar
    Eraser
    wax on, wax off 3 times
    collinite 845 3 coats

all wheels
    Wash
    de tar
    clay bar
    wheel cleaner to remove old weights stickers
    wax
    type shine

DMWcxK.jpg
    pJaJ6B.jpg
    zLDSqV.jpg
    FDq7HF.jpg
    6eqqzF.jpg
    WUmBym.jpg
    Ehce6j.jpg
    eEBb4U.jpg
    oEKHCS.jpg
    vUbvr2.jpg
    e5xiAJ.jpg
    dSUwjV.jpg
    u0A1kC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fair play for taking the wheels off! I gave my car the first wash in a long time, someone said to me before the birth of my first that I wouldnt have time for washing/detailing the car. Never a truer word spoken. Discovered the footwell of the right hand side passenger was sopping for some reason, cant figure it out.

Finally got some time today:
    Interior:Dash cleaned, door pockets cleaned, vacuum inside done.

Exterior: Used some BMW Autowheel cleaner, smelled exactly the same as that German brand that escapes me (Shows how long I havent done any detailing). Wheels are in a bad shape :(
    Snow foamed, rinsed, shampoo'd, rinsed, dried.

That was me done, sorry no before or after pics but the two kiddies had great fun getting soaked from the spray and playing in the snow foam

tech she is mint.... Look after her well.... Don't be brake checking and buses as I have previously turned one into an A3 ;-)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Since I suspect the car will be parked up a bit these days, Ill hopefully give it a decent clean. Simple stuff yesterday. Snow foamed it and shampoo. Disappointed with the foam, but that's mostly my washer/foamer fault. Eyeing up an autobrite snow foam attachment for my nilfisk.
    Hopefully over the next few days I can detar, deioniz, clay and wax. I was a bit too fast and loose with the APC the last few washes. Wax is no more, and it shows.

Also did my wife's car, but not to the same standard. She barely drives it, but hey, it was mother's Day!

• Advertisement

Since I suspect the car will be parked up a bit these days, Ill hopefully give it a decent clean. Simple stuff yesterday. Snow foamed it and shampoo. Disappointed with the foam, but that's mostly my washer/foamer fault. Eyeing up an autobrite snow foam attachment for my nilfisk.
    Hopefully over the next few days I can detar, deioniz, clay and wax. I was a bit too fast and loose with the APC the last few washes. Wax is no more, and it shows.

Also did my wife's car, but not to the same standard. She barely drives it, but hey, it was mother's Day!

APC should only be used if doing a full decontamination as you would do to strip oils and wax etc.... Then apply new protection such as sealer or wax....

Advertisement