Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting times in NDLS for walk-in appts

• 24-02-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I recently passed my theory test and now need to attend in person to apply for my learner permit. I was wondering would anyone know roughly how long a wait it typically is in the Santry Dublin office for a walk-in appointment.

The prebooked appointments are all gone this week, and I'd like to get it out of the way soon.

I need someone to mind two small children, but i also need to know if they'll have to mind them for an hour or more like 4 hours!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I reckon it depends on the centre. In my local centre it was 2 hours but they can zip through the numbers very quickly if people fail to show. If by Santry you mean the one in the Omni, I'd try to find another centre as it's hellishly busy all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

is_that_so wrote: »
    I reckon it depends on the centre. In my local centre it was 2 hours but they can zip through the numbers very quickly if people fail to show. If by Santry you mean the one in the Omni, I'd try to find another centre as it's hellishly busy all the time.

Thanks, it is the one in Omni I meant. Traveling to a further away centre would probably take just as long as queueing in Omni for 2hrs, as I live not too far from it. And, I don't drive of course.

If it's that busy I'll probably just book an appointment for a later week and get a babysitter. Oh, and hope their appointments run on time.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

When I went to the NDLS in the Omni, my experience was that the stated wait time of, I think, 3 and a half hours (!) ended up only being about 45 minutes because loads of people show up to that place, see a similar wait time and go, 'Ah, here. Feck this.' and just leave the premises. And the lady working there explained that many people who use the walk-in appointment machine thing can end up getting two numbers by mistake, too, and different things like that. The net result is that loads of the appointments never actually happen and you see your number continuously get bumped up the queue.

I must be a terrible job working in the Omni NDLS having to explain day-in, day-out to some probably angry people why the long wait time probably won't be so long...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I went to Trim. Live in Blanchardstown, was in and out within 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

briany wrote: »
    When I went to the NDLS in the Omni, my experience was that the stated wait time of, I think, 3 and a half hours (!) ended up only being about 45 minutes because loads of people show up to that place, see a similar wait time and go, 'Ah, here. Feck this.' and just leave the premises. And the lady working there explained that many people who use the walk-in appointment machine thing can end up getting two numbers by mistake, too, and different things like that. The net result is that loads of the appointments never actually happen and you see your number continuously get bumped up the queue.

I must be a terrible job working in the Omni NDLS having to explain day-in, day-out to some probably angry people why the long wait time probably won't be so long...

Exactly the same experience at Omni last April when I walked in to apply for my full licence, around 3pm. I had passed my test that morning and since I had the full day off work, I also wanted to get the licence application over with the same day. It was a much shorter wait than the initial estimate that was displayed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

When I went to apply for my learner permit in Santry a few months back, I was there for 8.30am on a Thursday and there was about 3 other people waiting.

I took a number as soon as they opened at 9am.

I was seen to at 9.05.

Try and go early if you can. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got my full licence in Santry, and was about 3 and a half hours, or so!

This was one of the 28 times Britain was about to leave the EU, though, so that could have exacerbated things. :pac:

Thanks for all the replies. Chances of me getting there before 9am opening are slim. So I'll just book an appointment for the following week, and arrange a sitter for a couple hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

have you tried the one in clarehall? its not that far from santry

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Scaltan

There is an online option as well for some types of application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Scaltan wrote: »
    There is an online option as well for some types of application

Yeah, it's only available for renewals though and not for first-time applications.

Thanks for all the replies. I booked an appointment for Santry/Omni for this morning. I arrived ten minutes early, and got seen 5 minutes before my time slot as there weren't many other people there even for walk-in appointments.

All done and dusted and I was having coffee downstairs before 10am. I'd imagine that being there early (appt or otherwise) is the way to go.

Advertisement