Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan Collins Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Ageism alive and well in RTE.Anyone over fifty four doesn't count it appears when they are catering for listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Long_Wave wrote: »
    With Sean O'Rourke due to retire this year, perhaps RTE wiii do a radical shake up of radio one?

It doesn't need it.

It's got a massive and loyal listenership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It doesn't need it.

Brendan balfe wrote in his autobiography that the philology in RTE is, if it ain't broke, break it

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

Wouldn't Una Healy be more suited to 2fm? Actually she's about the same age as most of the female daytime 2fm djs

I heard a bit of her show today and she played "Feels Like Heaven" by Fiction Factory which wouldn't be on 2fm anymore. It's no different to BBC putting Angela Scanlon on Radio 2.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It doesn't need it.

That's part of the problem. RTE are meant to be a PSB but their flagship station is only interested in the same narrow audience that listen out of habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The solution here is to keep the dedicated oldies station i.e.: RTE Gold. It would reduce the number of music shows on Radio 1 too.
    I wonder where will the few Gold staff be redeployed to when it expects to cease?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Brendan balfe wrote in his autobiography that the philology in RTE is, if it ain't broke, break it

More than a grain of truth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

With Sean O'Rourke due to retire this year, perhaps RTE wiii do a radical shake up of radio one?

RTE will surely keep him on hes the political broadcaster/interviewer they have,.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

shockwave wrote: »
    RTE will surely keep him on hes the political broadcaster/interviewer they have,.

ONLY

Well i listened to Una Healy today and I have to say I thought she was fine - a nice stand in for Ronan. She followed his light and easy style, which I like, and did all the well wishing and happy birthday stuff with good grace and humour. I also like her accent and her diction is good. All in all, for what it’s, well done Una

I didn’t win tickets to see ELO, though, darn it!

• Advertisement

Long live Ronan Collins on Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Time to move on folks.

Time to move on folks.

move on with inexperienced, sub-standard presenters reading from liner notes on a screen?

move on with inexperienced, sub-standard presenters reading from liner notes on a screen?

Nah, moving away from the same up- down-up worn out brown patter that has been there for the last thirty years.

It is time...

Nah, moving away from the same up- down-up worn out brown patter that has been there for the last thirty years.

It is time...

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? :D

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? :D

It’s broke dude, an burn in’ oil.

Trust me on that.

It’s broke dude, an burn in’ oil.

Trust me on that.

Nope. Careful what you wish for. Look at the LLS,the Live line, and now Marrions show. All 3 a clusterfuk

The show is a bit old fashioned but next to Tubridy, Duffy and D'Arcy (who seemed about 20 years older the minute he joined Radio 1) Ronan Collins is a sprightly young buck.

Today’s show was great! Loads of great music - Dusty Springfield, Carpenters (with that incredible voice of Karen), ELO, the Shadows, and on and on it went, from one great song to another.

For heaven’s sake, don’t go messing with this format and presenter

Jaysus!!

Is the up down cadence, the roundy birthdays, the very same intro day after day, back again?

Just as well I missed it..... and will avoid if possible.... freshen it up a bit, it’s 2020.

Nah..

• Advertisement

Jaysus!!

Is the up down cadence, the roundy birthdays, the very same intro day after day, back again?

Just as well I missed it..... and will avoid if possible.... freshen it up a bit, it’s 2020.

Nah..

That bint last week mentioned roundy birthdays on more than one occasion.
    Delighted RC is back.

Delighted RC is back.

About 80% less than Ronán I think and somewhat reluctantly I seem to remember.

I’ll have to give the ‘rubber chicken circuit’ a miss OD, good luck with the Swingtime Aces greatest hits.

Hope you enjoy.... maybe he might play Jethro Tull’s biggest hit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BB, leave Ronan alone. What he does he does very well. I like his program :)

( come to think of it, its the only RTE radio program that I can listen to for more than 10 minutes without needing The Off Switch )

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Baseball72

Ronan is quality. He knows his music and his listeners. Just wish we could get Alf McCarthy back on the airwaves.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Delighted RC is back.

The first few times she said it she obviously didn't know what it meant. She had a hard time pronouncing it as well.
    If somebody is trying to take over a well established presenters slot they could have at least done a bit of research and listened to what works.
    I gave her three days, but it's the first time in years I've gotten out of bed to change the station at that time of the day (I work nights btw before anybody goes off topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Baseball72 wrote: »
    Ronan is quality. He knows his music and his listeners. Just wish we could get Alf McCarthy back on the airwaves.....

Check out Alf on Twitter. He has some nice podcasts up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is this una 1 the one who failed at a girl band, then spent half her life on ray darcys tv then the other half in the indo gossip pages when she was getting divorced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Ronan Collins Show is a joy to listen to. A nice, pleasant hour of nice music in the middle of the day as a nice palate cleanser after the moaning on the Sean o'Rourke Show, the News at One and the sheer awfulness that is Livewhine.

Collins should be allowed to continue doing the show for as long as he wants as far as I am concerned!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    The Ronan Collins Show is a joy to listen to. A nice, pleasant hour of nice music in the middle of the day as a nice palate cleanser after the moaning on the Sean o'Rourke Show, the News at One and the sheer awfulness that is Livewhine.

Collins should be allowed to continue doing the show for as long as he wants as far as I am concerned!

Aaahh heeyur!!!

Time to move on as far as I’m concerned.

Freshen things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Aaahh heeyur!!!

Time to move on as far as I’m concerned.

Freshen things up.

Nope. He's grand where he is.

Advertisement