Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Macy0161 wrote: »

Thanks for posting, not on FB so totally missed this and other chat on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thanks - I'm new to using GPS to guide me - can I download those to an app that will tell me where to turn?

Only problem with doing it solo is there seems to be no towns or food options in that area, would be nice to have grub made for you on a 100k

Anyone going tomorrow enjoy it, hopefully this is the first of many North and South

Prob best to bring your passport also :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You should have the option to download the tcx - the three dots beside share in browser Garmin Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

a148pro wrote: »
    Thanks - I'm new to using GPS to guide me - can I download those to an app that will tell me where to turn?

Only problem with doing it solo is there seems to be no towns or food options in that area, would be nice to have grub made for you on a 100k

Anyone going tomorrow enjoy it, hopefully this is the first of many North and South

Prob best to bring your passport also :pac:

3 food stops on route.
    Food at the finish also but don't be expecting a carvery spread as these guys running the event had history of poor food options at the finish of the events in years past .
    Tatyo crisps and a stale muffin after a 100k MTB event :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

What are the gradients like on the Lakelander?

I'm on a pretty limited 38x36 lowest gear for gravel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What are the gradients like on the Lakelander?

I'm on a pretty limited 38x36 lowest gear for gravel

Max I have seen on average is 4% - so maybe 6% at times.

-- edit

There is a ~0.3km segment with 8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

grogi wrote: »
    Max I have seen on average is 4% - so maybe 6% at times.

-- edit

I did the Reservoir Dog on it so I'd say I could manage that.

Great weather in dublin for a gravel ride, or any ride for that matter, looking forward to seeing how lads got on

They were expecting 500 which would be a great turn out

grogi wrote: »
    There is no feckin way the max gradient was only 8%! Ride with Gps telling max was 17% (Edit - 17.6% now I'm on browser!), and that was gravel (so in the saddle)

Great day out. Very tough, type 2 fun. Food stops were good, didn't go in for food at the end but heard good reports of the burger. Only bad thing was cold showers at the end.

BTW a148pro no sign of civilisation on the route - I think if you were doing it self supported, you'd have to carry everything. unless during the summer there's mobile places at the viewing points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've used OSMAnd on Android. Getting the track in is IMHO more of a faff than it should be, but with a set of Bluetooth earbuds it works pretty well. Komoot is supposed to be decent as well, but I've yet to use it so can't say yay or nay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Lakelander was great. Never realised there was so much gravel down that way.

Def a couple of short sections getting up near 20%. Few guys running 1x were starting to run out of gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Specialized bikes out in Citywest organise a gravel ride every month. I went on one in December and it was pretty good. Hope to get along this Sat too. Ten am starting at Specialized. (Note:I am not in any way connected with Specialized!

https://www.facebook.com/events/717959515401519/

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

LennoxR wrote: »
    Specialized bikes out in Citywest organise a gravel ride every month. I went on one in December and it was pretty good. Hope to get along this Sat too. Ten am starting at Specialized. (Note:I am not in any way connected with Specialized!

https://www.facebook.com/events/717959515401519/

Cancelled unfortunately due to the storm forecast, if anyone was planning on going.

Maybe I could finally get the ****ing future shock recall on my diverge done!

Have been meaning to post some inspiration on this thread to resurrect it, will hopefully get round to it soon. Inspiration might be putting it a bit too far, more ideas

Looks like this was cancelled due to Covid, but they seem to be thinking about running it in Autumn

Either way it looks gorgeous

https://grassroutesgranfondo.ie/

https://www.eventyas.com/IE/Tipperary/124710732263006/Grass-Routes-Gran-Fondo

Not strictly gravel, or gravel at all, they say you can do it on 23s, but kind of a gravelly spirit

Someone above mentioned the gravel potential of the Galtees, headed down there tomorrow, anyone any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

On a whim (and on the back of a number of beers) I filled in an application for that event.

I don't have a club or a Cycling Ireland membership. It asks for both, I put none. Anyone know if they are a requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Looks like this was cancelled due to Covid, but they seem to be thinking about running it in Autumn

Not strictly gravel, or gravel at all, they say you can do it on 23s, but kind of a gravelly spirit

Someone above mentioned the gravel potential of the Galtees, headed down there tomorrow, anyone any tips?

Not sure about the galtees but definitely alot of good gravel on the foothills of the galtees behind tipp town if you know where I'm talking about? Where exactly are you headed?

Headed to Tipp town then around the glen of Aherlow, will probably just do the start of their route followed by a bit of a Dan McCarthy route I found on the internet, both are road routes

Its partly a reccie for the Glen as a family holiday destination so I might just amble up and down it and spin into some forest parks

This is the problem with gravel in Ireland - unless its your own back yard its hard to justify just going to explore, and actual routes to download and follow are thin on the ground. Unless people have made more progress here?

I've started using Komoot which is great, it can pick out quiet routes for you and will read you directions as you cycle, but I don't think it "knows" any Irish off road. I've also managed to figure out how to download a GPX file into it so ultimately will be able to do more routes if I can find them (the Big Dog one should now be doable)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Theres definitely good gravel in the hills behind tipp town not just the coillte cul de sac stuff. Haven't rode it but have walked a bit of it and rode all the road bits around it. If you head up north towards hollyford, nenagh direction, theres some nice steep climbs and I've done a bit of gravel around wind farms up there.

Gravel is a niche and combined with irelands low population it's going to be hard to find rides on the internet, local knowledge is what is needed.

Tipperary is definetly a hidden gem imo lovely place to cycle.

Yes looking forward to it now. Not sure which bike to take will decide in morning, might be in the mood for speed.

I think what's needed is someone, by which I mean a tourist agency or Coillte, or a community co-operative group, to put in a marked route. Then market it.

Wicklow, Slieve Blooms, Tipp, Knockmealdowns, Comeraghs amongst probably countless others spring to mind as good candidates.

The greenways didn't exist until people made them happen, and then they became very popular, the "done things" among cyclists and families alike.

If you went to stakeholders (as I understand it representative groups, including cyclists, successfully went to Coillte about changing the Dublin Mountain Parks) and explained how gravel was the largest growing cycling market, ticks the mental health / work burn out / urban escape / safe traffic free family route type markets, could be done with relatively low cost and could potentially lead to Greenway type success, albeit realistically on a smaller scale, surely there'd be some movement.

This is the year of the staycation, and it may be a couple of years of staycations. The government are also looking to throw money at things and put people in work. Basic routes could be cobbled together relatively quickly on, admittedly unattractive, Coillte forest roads, small additions could link up otherwise dead ends, more attractive single track / forest trail type stuff could be put it.

It doesn't take a whole amount beyond someone taking the initiative.

I presume from DF's posts above that Coillte didn't do anything previously, but might be prevailed upon.

Otherwise it'll be left to a handful of enthusiasts with the time to put a few routes online and for a handful of people to make those connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭El Vino

I haven't done much in the Galtees but the hills at the other side of the Valley that run from Bansha to Gallbally have plenty of Gravel and a circuit is easily possible.

There is also plenty in the Ballyhoura mountains nearby where the mtb trails are and also check out Slievereagh from the carpark between Ballylanders and Kilfinnan (signpost for Lazy Dog Shooting)

El Vino wrote: »
    I haven't done much in the Galtees but the hills at the other side of the Valley that run from Bansha to Gallbally have plenty of Gravel and a circuit is easily possible.

Ok, so for anyone for future reference, this is exactly right, as was Tony4's suggestion, there are extensive trails on the hills between Tipp town and the Glen of Aherlow, I rode on sight from a little track West of Bansha woods that led to the Woods car park, from there there were trails back to the middle road that leads to Christ the King viewing point, it looks like very similar trails continue over in the direction of Gallbally. It looks like it would be very easy to do a 30k loop here. The trails showed up on the Komoot map, albeit the App didn't seem to know they were cycleable.

Also they are nice trails - not standard Coillte monoculture fire road crap, a lot more broadleafs and native trees, wild raspberries and blueberries at points. The surface is different to standard fire road, hard rocks / grit mixed with brown forest trails, some you have to hike a very small bit but could probably do with good bike skills, also there are a number of trails running parallel to each other so a bit of exploring would identify the best surface. Very nice views over a patchwork of green fields around Tipp one side and over the Glen of Aherlow and to the Galtees on the other.

Refreshments at Aherlow House, Tipp town, Bansha and a tiny cafe in the front room of a woman's house in Gallbally.

It looks like there are at least some trails up the side of the Galtees, not sure if they are rideable or on private land, probably the latter. But if you could link up a 30k route on the Tipp side with something in the Galtees proper you would have a respectable gravel route. Or Ballyhoura as suggested.

Also there are plenty of lovely lanes with grass down the middle leading across the Glen to the Galtees so it would be a lovely route. The first half of the Grass Routes GF spin is stencilled onto the road and it is as good a days cycling as I've done recently - an absolute credit to the lads who put it together. I'd say less than 20 cars passed us over 90k, great way to see an area I've long wanted to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

Short spin up Sally gap, laragh, ballinastoe with mates
    Rowtag, Gestalt 3, Topstone

If you went to stakeholders (as I understand it representative groups, including cyclists, successfully went to Coillte about changing the Dublin Mountain Parks) and explained how gravel was the largest growing cycling market, ticks the mental health / work burn out / urban escape / safe traffic free family route type markets, could be done with relatively low cost and could potentially lead to Greenway type success, albeit realistically on a smaller scale, surely there'd be some movement.

This is the year of the staycation, and it may be a couple of years of staycations. The government are also looking to throw money at things and put people in work. Basic routes could be cobbled together relatively quickly on, admittedly unattractive, Coillte forest roads, small additions could link up otherwise dead ends, more attractive single track / forest trail type stuff could be put it.
    Well in Wicklow, their going the opposite way. They're using the increase in walkers to push further on the banning of cyclists from some of the gravel sections of the Wicklow Way. Technically cycling already banned in non designated forests, but extra signs, signs suggesting of CCTV to identify people etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Well in Wicklow, their going the opposite way. They're using the increase in walkers to push further on the banning of cyclists from some of the gravel sections of the Wicklow Way. Technically cycling already banned in non designated forests, but extra signs, signs suggesting of CCTV to identify people etc.

Noticed this the other day in the upper part of Kilmashogue woods, starting here. Would have been nice if the notice was on the gate at the road rather than in the middle of the woods. Was out on the Coilte tracks at the start of the Wicklow way near Glencullen yesterday evening and didn't see any no cycling signs which had been there before but there were some No dumping / CCTV signs on the route.

A pity Wicklow Co Co and Coilte didn't make a bit more of an effort to support gravel cycling as there are there are a lot of KMs of Coilte tracks out there but they're mostly dead ends. Whatever about single track and boardwalks, there's no issue sharing fire roads with bikes and walkers, loads of space for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That looks pretty cool. Am I reading it right that it's just primarily bothereens and that a road bike on 25's would cut it?

Is there any news on it going ahead or a possible date?

fat bloke wrote: »
    That looks pretty cool. Am I reading it right that it's just primarily bothereens and that a road bike on 25's would cut it?

Is there any news on it going ahead or a possible date?
    I'd entered for the spring date - it's on the CI calendar for the 20th September. Haven't seen confirmation or otherwise (Lap the Lough only just cancelled for the end of this month though)

Yes it is marketed to be doable on 23s, I'd say around 28s might be the sweet spot though

I think the last update on the website was suggesting they were looking at an autumn date. It's booked out though, albeit I'm sure the new date won't work for some of the previous entries so you might get a place. Very cycleable on the hoof too mind.

I've often wondered how much of wicklow way doable on a bike? Up towards fairy castle would be hike a bike, and steep hike a bike down to the glencullen road, prince william's seat is hike a bike over the top, then more hike a bike down to that river before chrone woods. Djouce is surely hike a bike.

I appreciate there's reasonable gravely sections in between, but is it worth it?

• Advertisement

I mean if they marketed an alternative wicklow way on a bike you would get people doing it for sure

Advertisement