Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Windows & DCV

Options
  • 28-02-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

i'm looking to do a bit of work to the house every year. Unfortunately we can't afford to do it all together. This year I was looking at installing a DCV system and possibly upgrading the windows. The DCV system will sort a condensation issue we've been having after insulating the attic.

We're hopeful of adding an extension to the kitchen next year so i was thinking of upgrading most of the windows this year to keep things moving. I would leave the kitchen windows as is until next year when the extension is being done. The existing windows are PVC double glazed and probably 10-15 years old. Just wondering if it's worth doing them at all if they're 'grand'? Just wondering if anyone else replaced double glazed PVC windows recently and if it made much difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

if the windows are in good nick ,then the payback from DG to TG is prolly close to 75-100 years, depending on the now vs new U value

Why not retro a full MHVR

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

I wouldn't be able to get achieve the airtightness required to make MHVR efficient. I think you're right about the windows. I could probably spend the money on something more pressing!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

if the windows are in good nick ,then the payback from DG to TG is prolly close to 75-100 years, depending on the now vs new U value

Why not retro a full MHVR

10-15year old upvc will ‘radiate cold’ in winter. Suggesting payback on a purely cost basis, I’m not sure I’d agree

Advertisement