Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep on Reading........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

51ADLfXjVXL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    651800._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Powers Bureau Series by Bendis and Oeming
    Powers Bureau, Vol 1:Undercover
    Powers Bureau, Vol 2:Icons

This graphic novel/comic series is the sequel to the Powers series which I have not read. Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim are federal agents and after Chicago was nearly destroyed in an incident, anyone with super powers has to be registered (think Tony Stark!) And now all superpower crime is a federal crime so thats where our heroes investigate.

This is kind of a mixed genre where there are a few laughs and some action too. They are drawn in a minimalistic style as you may see from the front covers.There are a load of fun stuff in this as they battle people with powers and crime families. Women getting pregnant just by touching a hand also!

This is definitely recommended if you like some good laughs as well as a story with action.I think it was made into a recent TV series that was just cancelled. Never saw it but did anyone else watch it or read the first Powers series?!

573591._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

4 kids walk into a Bank by Matthew Rosenberg and Tyler Boss

This graphic novel/comic is about what it says on the cover. 4 kids walk into a bank to rob it! Paige and her 3 male friends are all around 11 or 12 years old. Paige learns her Dad and 3 of his old friends are going to rob a bank. His friends seem like idiots so she thinks they all will be caught. She doesn't want to lose her dad to prison so what should she do? She enlists her friends help to rob the bank first!!!

This sounds like a kids comic but it is far from that! There are lots of swearing so its more like Quentin Tarantino style! Good action and very very funny. The kids are hopeless too as they are only kids so things go wrong from the start.

Each chapter begins with the kids playing a game like Dungeons and Dragons and arguing over who is doing what within the game. Then it switches to them swearing and trying to plot the robbery! If it sounds strange, its because it is! Somehow the whole thing works with the dark humour and F-Bombs!

One of the kids is quiet and introverted and when he talks the font is really small so its really hard to make out what he is saying so it emphasises how quiet he is! A nice touch that made me laugh!

The story is really about their friendship and growing up so its like the Goonies crossed with Reservoir Dogs.The dark hunour had me laughing out loud so if you like that kind of thing too then this is recommended.

51LmK0KvBIL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brian Boru: Ireland's Warrior King by Damien Goodfellow

This is an Irish graphic novel/comic about Brian Boru and as I like history it has been on my to be read list for ages. I'm not sure what it is about this and the Cu Chulainn comic but they both have the same thing in common. Not much is explained and the story flies along too quick.

I really wanted to like this and to some extent I did but there are a lot of issues with this comic. The reader is just thrown into things without an introduction and things fly along. Then the biggest problem is that everything seems very dark. Panels are drawn with loads of brown,black and dark colours. I didn't particularly like the artwork in this one so it was a lot more difficult to read than it could have been.

The way the story flies along is a problem as it all seems too congested. We know these tales are very long but it feels like things are too condensed.It reminds me of when I was a kid and there used to be a short comic strip in the paper. Such as The story of U2. 1 panel shows them meeting. next panel singing in a small club. then a panel with them praticing. Finally a panel with them singing in a stadium. A whole story shortened to a few panels!! Loads of stuff missed out. This is the same here. Its just too short and you are only getting a brief overview.

For all these faults, I still liked Brian Boru as I like Irish myths and history. Its just too brief but as Its Irish I will recommend it!

51EBG407K6L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Batman: Hush Returns by Al Barrionuevo

This comic looked really good at first. It deals with a new enemy for Batman called Hush. Someone who knows Batman very well from the early days....

This volume collects Batman:Gothan Knights 50-55 +66

Yes, thats right. It goes along in a sequence and it feels like an extra bit thrown in for no reason (66)

This felt like a good idea. A new villain for Batman and he also visits Star City with the Green Arrow. Throw in the Joker too then surely it can't be bad?

Wrong. This is terrible. The Joker in this acts like a regular evil business man who is annoyed that a new villain wants to be top dog in Gotham. He doesn't act crazy at all like the regular Joker we know and love!! :pac:

Bruce Wayne is drawn terribly too. He looks weirdly evil in this. Worst thing is that there isn't a real resolution to the story so its all a mess really. I was looking forward to reading this but it ended up a bust. Avoid it!!

Civil-War-by-Stuart-Moore-0589506_de4d4b3d-9a5c-4769-843b-e3c8c7e83b98_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1439233974

Civil War by Mark Millar

Another superb graphic novel by Mark Millar. I think I love everything he does! This is about a registration act that comes in for all Superheroes. Some don't agree to it while others do. Iron Man/Tony Stark is all for it whereas Captain America is all against it.

This story was done in a Captain America movie but this is far superior.The story is great with some for and some against but others torn about what to do. People switching sides and loads of action.

This comic goes straight up there with the best I have ever read. I loved the realism of the story as it starts off with superheroes doing their job on a reality show. Which I think is what would happen if they really existed!! Then they are all blown up and killed by the bad guy. They were minor league superheroes going against a powerful villain so this leads to calls for regulation. Some of the public blame them for causing casualties so they want a register as who are these masked men that are vigilantes?!!

This means people having to give their real names and not hiding behind masks. Of course some do not agree with this! And then here we have our Civil War!!

So this is highly recommended. Full of action and the story is really good. A must read if you like Comics!!

• Advertisement

51TNIcVTzPL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Institute by Stephen King

This is Stephen Kings latest book and its not as short as Elevation thankfully! (reviewed here)

I have had problems with Kings endings of books as they are sometimes terrible (see here)

So naturally I was a bit nervous of getting burnt again with this book. This is about a 12 year old bot called Luke who is a bit of a prodigy. One night his parents get murdered and he is kidnapped. He wakes up in a place called the Institute. Its full of other kids and they are all being used and experimented with for their talents. Telepathy and Telekinesis.In charge is a woman called Mrs Sigsby. Luke finds out that they are all in whats called the Front Half of the Institute. After a period of time, kids are sent to the Back Half where they are never seen again. In the front half, every kid has his own room and lives fairly okay except when they are taken away for injections and experiments. Luke knows though that time will eventually run out and he will be sent to the back half.

Meanwhile in another part of the country a former cop ends up in a small town and takes a night security job. He decides to stay in the town for a while.

This whole story takes off and is really good. It had me literally turning the page nonstop to read more of it.I was worried about the end but that is very good too. If you like Kings books then you wont be disappointed with this.

This goes straight up there with his best books in my view. The only problem I had with it is when the kids are talking. They don't talk like kids nowadays at all. They watch Scooby Doo and Popeye. They talk like kids in the 80s. I thought this might be the twist early on but then the kids are watching videos on youtube. Kind can't write how kids talk at all!! Other than this, the book is great and is definitely recommended. I'm glad as he had a few that were a bit disappointing that I have reviewed already in this log. Go back and see if you like!!

By the way, feel; free to comment on anything that I have reviewed or just your thoughts on them!

215205.jpg

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

This is a Sci Fi classic written the same time as the classic movie. It differs a little bit from the novie as Clarke could not wait until the movie was finished.

In case you have no idea about this, then what rock have you been under?!! No, this came out when Stanley Kubrick, the movie director approached Clarke about writing the seminal sci Fi movie. Clake was a great sci fi writer so he offered his short story called The Sentinel. They expanded on its themes for the movie and this book. Clarke wrote this while the movie was being made.

Its about an object being found on the moon called a Monolith in the book. Scientists are sent to investigate it and find it laying dormant. Its like a black Rectangle that is solid. No one knows what it means or why it is there. As it is fully uncovered, sunlight falls on it for the first time and there is a piercing sound.They realise that is is some kind of transmission that was sent to one of Saturns moons.

A mission is put together to go to Saturn to investigate further. The spaceship Discovery One, is sent there and on it there are 2 crew members and 3 in suspended animation. They are to be wakened when the spaceship is at Saturn. In control of the ship, is an artificially intelligent computer called HAL 9000. The 2 crew members called David Bowman and Frank Poole settle into their routine of tasks with HALs help. HAL can speak to them as they go about their business. Then they begin to notice HAL acting strangely.........

I read this when I was younger many years ago so it was great to go back to it again. The movie is a classic also and you should see that too if you have not.There are a few small differences from the book and the movie. One of the main ones is that the planet they are going to is Jupiter in the movie. The rings of Saturn were too hard to do at the time to make them realistic on screen so it was switched to Jupiter in the movie!

Its crazy to think that this was written when man had not got to the moon yet and a lot of Clarkes thoughts on how things would be done were proven to be true.There are a load of themes in this book. It covers a lot of them. Themes like Technology and its evolution as well as the human races evolution. Space exploration and Artificial Intelligence are 2 more. Lots packed into this.

If you like Sci Fi then this is a must read. You will probably have read it already but it deserves a load of rereads.The copy I had, included the short story The Sentinel too as well as a foreword from Clarke himself giving the backstory of how this came into existence A true classic novel as well as the movie.This fleshes out some things that were in the movie so its very helpful if you like the movie too.

ArthurCClarke_2010OdysseyTwo.jpg

2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke

This is the follow up to the First Odyssey reviewed just above and continues on the story.What happened on Discovery One? No one knows but the ship is seen in orbit around Jupiter seemingly abandoned. Its 9 years later and a joint American and Soviet Union crew are sent aboard a Soviet spaceship to find out what happened. Where is David Bowman? And why is there another black Monolith in orbit around Jupiter too? They are eager to investigate everything. As they are leaving Earth, a Chinese space station seems to leave the orbit of Earth. Whats happening? It is in fact a Chinese spaceship that they secretly built, and its going to Jupiter too. The only thing is that the Chinese look like they will get there first.......

The interesting thing about this book is that it follows the events of the actual first movie and not the book.As Clarke was writing the first at the same time as the movie there were a few differences. One of the main ones was that the planet was switched to Jupiter as I have said in the first review.

I wasn't sure where this book could go but it turns out to be amazing and I loved the direction Clarke took the story.This book is every bit as good as the first and its not often you can say that about a sequel.This was also made into a movie. 2010:The Year we make Contact.

Bear in mind also that there are a few inconsistencies that Clarke addressed later in the next books foreword. He said that the books are not direct sequels and should be thought of taking place in the same universe. Obviously the USSR is gone now and things have been different in real life since he wrote the first book.

All these few things here and there didn't bother me at all and I don't think they will bother you. It's just a great Sci Fi story that had me hooked until the very end.Just like the first book, this comes highly recommended by me (should that mean anything to you!!)

As always feel free to comment on anything I say!!

158402.jpg

2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clarke

This is the third Odyssey in the series and is set in 2061. If you have read the previous 2 novels then you know that the Aliens who built the Monolith have turned Jupiter into a mini sun and issued instructions for the moon of Jupiter called Europa. Do not land there and we can do what we want with the other worlds. Why can't we land there? Because new creatures are evolving on it and the Aliens do not want us interfering in it.

Dr Heywood Floyd from 2010 is back again. He is now 103 and living in a space hospital so he has lived longer.Travelling in space is now easier and happens often. Halleys Comet is coming back now and Floyd is chosen as he is a celebrity to go on a spaceship called Universe that lands on the comet to see what it is like.

Anything that tries to land on Europa such as probes are destroyed so we don't land on it but we observe what is going on from afar. A spaceship called Galaxy is doing a flyby of it and has Heywoods Grandson Chris on it. The ship ends up crash landing on Europa and the survivors are stranded. Galaxy is sent over to Europa but will it be allowed to land? Heywood Floyd decides to call David Bowman over the radio to be allowed to land.......

If you have not read the other previous books then this might not make sense but if you have, then everything makes perfect sense so don't worry! The start of the book recaps events anyway so you could jump in here if you wanted to but I suggest just reading the first 2 books first.

What happens on Europa will have profound effects for humanity's survival so this is a great read. What's interesting is that 2 real scientific articles are cited by a character in the book. They concern how it is theorised that we could use diamonds for building a Space Elevator and an Orbital ring which would make travelling much faster. The only thing is that we need a lot of diamonds and in the book they are found when Jupiter is changed into a mini sun. So as always Clarke writes about things that he thinks we could do in the near future.

Hal and David Bowman from the first book come back into the story but you will have to read to find out how and why!! I loved this book too as progressing the story was great and it really does feel like an Odyssey! It really felt like these things could happen in the future and this is a great read. This Odyssey series is fantastic. Gripping Sci Fi at its best.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsulfurlad.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F12%2F3001.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

3001: The Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

Here we are, with the final Odyssey book in the series. It starts off with a prologue about the creatures that made the Monoliths. They were beings that go around the Universe trying to help other intelligent species survive which is why they created the Monoliths. The beings have now ascended into a higher state of energy and all that's left are the Monoliths which are basically massive computers.

Now in 3001, humans have really developed technology and space travel and one ship finds something deep in space. What is it? Its the body of Frank Poole from the first book. He was killed in the first book and now with the latest technology he is brought back to life! He then gets integrated back into society and shown all the latest tech that 3001 has. The life on Europa has been evolving away and humans have still stayed away. Its thought Frank Poole might be allowed to land there so he goes there and meets what amazingly seems to be both HAL 9000 and David Bowman talking to him. Is it really them? They warn him that humanity is in extreme danger and we must take action..........

I really enjoyed this book and it is a fitting end to the series.Humanity in peril and everything is tied back to the first book too. It all makes sense and Clarke goes all out in describing what new technology we might have come up with in 3001.A brain interface like having internet wired into your brain. I'd say that's not far off! Genetic engineering and dinosaurs brought back. Could happen! Other stuff too.

This whole series has been great and is a must read if you like Sci Fi. The way everything gets tied in at the end was great and this was written in 1997. The first book was in 1968. The series was so good, I was wishing there was another installment to look forward to reading!!

• Advertisement

Gwendys-button-box-cover-high-res.jpg

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar

After all that Sci Fi, I am back again to Stephen King. This time he co-authors with Richard Chizmar. This is only a novella but the premise seems very interesting.It is set in Kings usual place of Castle Rock. The amount of things that happen in this little town........ :pac:

It is set in 1974 and Gwendy is a 12 year old girl who likes to go up to her favourite place near cliffs called Castle View. To get there, she climbs up stairs called the Suicide Stairs as there have been suicides from there. No wonder health and safety became a thing!

One day she meets a man who gives her a box with buttons and levers on it.She has to promise to keep it safe and when buttons are pressed or levers pulled, they give out chocolate and silver coins. But they can come at a cost......

Like all these kind of books, the man speaks in riddles and doesn't tell her everything but what follows is a story that ends up going nowhere. King has a big problem with endings and here we are again.

To get out of a situation, a woman flashes her chest which seems so silly.At the end, I was left wondering what was the point of the novella. It literally goes nowhere and just ends. This like Elevation, is very short and they are meant to have written this back and forth within a month.If these stories were all together then I would understand but they shouldn't be sold as a standalone book.

After the high of the reading The Institute this is really poor. I would avoid this as you are not missing anything.Go read The Institute instead!

51f9gcs%2B6dL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fighter by Andy Lee

This is Irish boxer Andy Lees autobiography and I was really looking forward to reading this.I followed his career and always thought he was a great talent in the ring.

Sadly though the book is put together very badly and I think this is probably down to whoever he had working with him on it. I think it was someone from a sports website. Either way, there are no paragraph breaks in this book. Just loads and loads of writing which is hard on the reader. I could forgive this (even though its very annoying!) but there are too many time jumps in it. It goes forwards in time then back again too much.

Then I felt there was a lot of stuff skipped over either too quickly or not addressed at all.His title fights are zoomed over and that would have been interesting. Nothing at all about how he trains than just going running. I know its not a manual but it would have been nice to read a little bit.

What is there though, is fairly good. He goes into a lot of detail about the mindset of a fighter so that was good. You can see he is a very intelligent fella! The book then seems to just come to a quick end so all in all I was left frustrated reading this book. Some very good parts but a lot of niggles as I have described. If you like boxing then this is a must read but if you have only a passing interest I wouldn't bother with this one.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftheothercomicbookteacher.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F01%2Falone-620x882.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Alone by Christophe Chaboute

Another graphic novel/comic and this one I remember first picking it up and almost not getting it. It seemed to be just full of pictures and hardly any words. I thought it was too arty and almost put it back. Then I said I would try it and got it anyway.It was first published in France in 2008 and only translated into English in 2017.It isn't a superhero story but a very unique tale.

On a tiny little island that really is just a rock in the ocean is a lighthouse. Every week, a supply boat arrives and just leaves a box of food. They don't get out and never see who lives there on the lighthouse. Its part of a deal done with the previous lighthouse keeper. He left all his money to the boatman and all he is told is bring food every week to the lighthouse.

This has been going on for years and the captain doesn't ask questions.Then the captain gets a new helper on his boat who starts asking questions.The captain says never mind and just leave the box of supplies on the pier. When they leave the helper sees the silhouette of the figure living there. He wonders about this mysterious man who lives there........

The story is told in black and white with very few words at all. That's part of the uniqueness of this comic. We see how the hermit lives and why he is left there. He is disfigured so presumably his family were ashamed and kept him there. All he has is a dictionary and things he finds from the ocean. He uses these and imagines what they are like as he doesn't know the real world because he has never left the lighthouse.

This is truly a haunting and captivating tale. You might think it sounds weird but this is excellent. It really is a must read for everyone. The ending was amazing and it is very emotional. This will stay with me for a long time, maybe forever. It was that good and thats the great thing about reading. When something created can effect you after reading it then it really is powerful. This is why I love reading and this shows the power of graphic novels/ comics also.

Needless to say, this is highly recommended for everyone.It is a masterpiece.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNTAwWDM2Nw%3D%3D%2Fz%2FBxQAAOSwHnFVyGZd%2F%24_35.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

Username:Evie by Joe Sugg

As I was on a Comic buying spree, I had this got before I realised what it is. It meant to be for kids at least I think so! So as I read it, it goes in the reading log! I think Sugg is a youtuber so I groaned when I realised what I was reading but I finished it anyway.

Evie is a schoolgirl who is bullied at school. She is very sad. Her father who was ill, before he dies he creates an App on a computer where she can enter it and everything is a paradise.She can be happy there. But then her devious cousin finds the app and can cause trouble there....

There are so many issues with this. I don't mean issues of the comic but more like problems. Teaching kids to withdraw into your own world if things are not going your way is awful in my view. Rather than stand up for herself, Evie heads off into lala land and oh no, someone else wants to go into it too.This whole comic is the worst ever. Wrong things to be teaching kids and just awful all around. It is done by a youtuber after all.

Whats wrong with that you ask? Well he did this comic. Although he didn't illustrate it. Somebody else wrote it. Another person did the speech bubbles. Another the lettering. Another the colouring. But he came up with the "idea" and he gets the credit. A big page of spiel at the end about how hard he "worked" and thanking everyone who made it happen.

The story is really bad anyway. One panel she is bullied. Next she is crying at home. Next panel is "look there's a computer with a strange app"Then next panel is she is the dreamworld or whatever it is. No real story at all. Then Sugg had the cheek to do 2 more of these comics!

Complete drivel and the whole thing made me angry. No one should read this, least of all kids!!

Well, I hope everyone had a great New Years!

In 2019. I read 68 books. Now a good few were Graphic Novels/Comics but this has been a great year for me. Usually want to read at least 50 so I was well over that bar.

Even with reading that many, I still had a good bit of time where I didn't read anything. I'm hoping to shore that up this year and like the log says....keep on reading.

I am aiming high this year, I want to read 100 books or get over 25000 pages read.My record is 22500 pages for the year. This way I won't be too concerned with picking off small books just to get to 100!!

The good news is that I am now reading at a pace that I used to read when I was a kid. As a kid I read everything in my local library. By that I mean I read everything that interested me and there was nothing left that I wanted to read in there.Then I read out the Cork City library childrens section! I remember asking the librarian when could I join the adult library and she laughed at me and said I was way too young. Then I got my mother to join the library and I would get the books and she would check them out! That was frustrating too as I could not reach the shelves to get books I wanted! :pac:

As reading is a habit, I was very quick. Sometimes I would get the books out, go home and read them and go back again. Then the librarians were p*ssed at me! Since then I really slowed down. Now I am back up to very quick. I don't speed read like some people advise as we could all fly through books but are we really reading them and understanding them? I am just reading it normally but quicker if that makes any sense!!

So this year I am hoping to knock down a load of books. I have a spare room full of stuff I want to read. Some are very rare so I hoover them up if I see them in a shop.The main thing that I realise is that you must enjoy the book. Otherwise it is just a job. I have to give up on books if I am not liking them, Motherless Brooklyn and Mispent Youth are two books from this log that I should have just given up on. i hate to do this though! At the very least, i will skip a few pages here and there if I am not liking a book because I have loads in my house to be read!

So here we go for another year and I started reading this morning and nearly finished one already!!

Happy reading everyone!

Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg

Batman : The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

This is the collection of 1-13 of Batman :The Long Halloween and is meant to be early on in Batman's career.It is about Harvey Dent and Batman fighting crime and Harvey getting more and more intent on punishing the criminals. We all know who he becomes....at least I hope you do!
    Two-Face!!

So its really an origin story of him. Someone is bumping off associates of the Gotham City mobster Carmine "The Roman" Falcone. They are doing it on holidays only throughout the year so the story goes along on each holiday. Batman, Commissioner Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent are desperately trying to find out who is doing it as mob families are killing each other in retaliation.

This is a brilliant comic and is a must read for everyone.What I loved here is that it reminded me of Batman:The Animated Series. The story is great and is a real detective yarn. What is also great is that every villain gets a look in. We have the Joker, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, The Riddler, Solomon Grundy, Calendar Man and even an Irish gang!! Its drawn in like a film noir fashion so you really feel like its a whodunnit until the final reveal.

Christopher Nolan was supposed to be heavily influenced by this in his movie The Dark Knight and you can see why. This is great.This is the kind of graphic novel that makes you go Wow!

I loved reading it!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.gr-assets.com%2Fimages%2FS%2Fcompressed.photo.goodreads.com%2Fbooks%2F1382356764i%2F13536491._UY400_SS400_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Montague Terrace by Warren Pleece

I thought this comic looked interesting so I took a chance on it. It is about an array of different people who live in this building called Montague Terrace. They are all kind of strange and have only the building in common.

We have an ageing pop star whose best years are behind him, a former agent who is now elderly, a talking bunny who appears to a magician and a man who calls himself The Puppeteer plotting chaos in his room.

This is meant to be a comedy about quirky characters and seemed like it was going to be good before I read it.The drawing is okay but unfortunately the stories end up not really going anywhere.The final story is the only one that has any kind of resolution but I was left with a feeling of "Is that it?"

The stories all felt like they were just drawn as they were thought up and not thought about again. They needed more work as this may have been something very great. As they stand, they are just forgettable as nothing much happens other than strange characters.

So avoid this one as its not worth reading at all.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3396%2F3555679240_baf7ed6e66.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Wildlife Preserves by Gary Larson

This is a comic collection by the Far Side writer. If you don't know the far side then they are funny drawings that are usually kind of surreal. This is the Far Side Collection no. 10

You will probably know if you like this already but this collection is short enough. Some were hilarious but there are a lot more misses than hits.

Its very short but this is perfect reading for the bathroom! :pac:

Burma_Chronicles_English_edition_cover.jpg

Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle

This is by the same author of Hostage that I reviewed here so as I enjoyed that, I picked up this.

This is a comic about the authors own experiences in Burma for a year.His wife is an administrator for MSF- Medecin Sans Frontier (Medicine without borders) and they both go with their young son Louis for a year to Burma.Burma is ruled by a military junta so people live in poverty but the country is highly religious and is mostly Buddhist.

I love the drawings in this as they are very nice and not overly complicated to look at and read. I knew absolutely nothing about Burma so it was good to learn a good few things. I wouldn't read this if you wanted to know everything about Burma as its more like a snapshot in time of his experiences.

Burma is now called Myanmar by the junta and is a highly repressive regime. They are very paranoid and continually change laws. While Delisle's wife is off with the MSF he goes around the local area pushing a stroller with his son in it. At the start he is almost passing out from the heat so I know if I was there I would be dead!

Each story can be long and short and just depends on what happened to him. From trying to get inks to draw with and bootleg hollywood movies, there are some great tales in here.Some are very funny such as at Christmas there were carol singers outside his door and he gave money to them. Then he learned that they are Buddhists but they learn the songs to trick people/tourists into giving them money!

There are some very interesting things told such as the junta decided in 2006 to change the capital of the country. They went to an area with nothing there and just started building and then called it the capitial. It used to be Yangon but is now Naypyidaw. (yes that is the way it is spelled!)

Delisle has to deal with not speaking the language, the heat and monsoons. I liked this as it went through the whole year about what happened to him and I really enjoyed it. I like his simple style of drawing and the facts of surviving everyday life there.Just like the earlier Hostage this is highly recommended.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.gr-assets.com%2Fbooks%2F1513641345l%2F37564592.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Exhibit Alexandra by Natasha Bell

I have realised last year that other than Agatha Christie, I don't read any female authors very often. That coupled with my idea to keep reading new authors led me to try this.This is a psychological thriller about a wife that goes missing and how her family are getting on while she is being held in a room against her will.

This is written from the missing womans point of view and from what I see online is really popular with women readers. Maybe its because I am male but unfortunately this is not very good. It is written from the wifes point of view so the author has to jump through hoops as she is stuck with that view. The wife has to "imagine"how her family and the police investigation is getting on. This means descriptions and conversations that the wife is imagining happening while she is held hostage.Bizarre way of writing.

There is a twist at the end that I saw coming almost straight away and the author goes into loads and loads of explanation. A little bit is fine but it goes on too long.I wouldn't call this a thriller, its more of a plodder and I came close to abandoning it. I just about stuck it out until the end.

So unfortunately this book is not recommended at all which is a pity as the premise was interesting but the book doesn't work at all.The main twist is really so obvious that a child would see it coming and its a kind of book that lives or dies by the twist. If you don't see it coming then you might love this but it is so clearly sign posted that its just poor writing.

• Advertisement

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fuseliterary.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F07%2FScreen-Shot-2019-07-10-at-3.10.11-PM.png&f=1&nofb=1

Journaled to Death by Heather Redmond

Continuing on my theme of new female authors, I tried this book. It looked like a murder mystery and seemed interesting although as you can see, it looks like a kids book with that cover. I said I would give it a try as I am trying to read new books that I don't normally read.

Divorced single mother Mandy works in a shop that's in a hospital. She lives with her daughter while her cousin rents out her basement. He is suddenly found dead and she is a suspect.She has to find out what happened to him so she can be cleared.....

From the sounds of that premise it sounds quite good and I didn't think anything when I saw this was a "cozy mystery" on the cover. I have only found out what that means after I finished the book. I thought it meant it was a cozy read and that its good for the reader.

This book is like a Scooby Doo mystery in book form. It is so obvious what happened that the whole thing is laughable. There isn't hardly anything about the mystery itself, more about soap opera stuff and Mandy's life. Her daughters name is Vellum! That made me laugh out loud but nowadays there are people with stupid names like that so on I went reading.Then at the end, the killer comes after Mandy and the person is so inept that it is unintentionally funny!

This book was very boring and yes, I should have stopped reading it but like a glutton for punishment, I kept reading it.There is one good thing though. The actual writing is of a very high standard. It is the story and not much other than family stuff that makes this dull.

I have since found out that a "Cozy mystery" is a sub genre where it is exactly like this book. A simple mystery usually solved by a woman and there is no blood and guts or violence. So to me, its like Scooby Doo! If you dont like violence, realism and love family soap opera stuff, then this book is for you. If you like a proper mystery like me then stay away from this book. I don't know how I finished it!!

21304552.jpg

Judge Dredd - The Complete Case Files 22 by John Wagner

This is another collection of Judge Dredd and it is the second one that I have read. First one reviewed here!

Judge Dredd is a great character and these stories are all great except one. One of them is drawn with loads of black that I couldn't see what was happening and the font was really small.There is a brilliant story called The Strange Case of Bill Clinton that is incredibly funny! There are others too so this collection is well worth reading bar that darkly drawn one.

Another great mix of action and dark humour throughout!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpictures.abebooks.com%2Fisbn%2F9780140044263-us.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The Night of the Hunter by Davis Grubb

I think we all know this from the famous movie starring Robert Mitchum and directed by the actor Charles Laughton. If you don't know the movie then check it out. I have had this book in my collection for ages and have wanted to read it for a very long time.

This is a Southern Gothic type novel set in the Great Depression era of America.A man has committed a robbery and has been caught. He is executed but the money he took has never been found. Before he is executed, he shares a cell with a man called Harry Powell also known as The Preacher. He is a nasty individual quoting bible scriptures and he has the words Love and Hate tattooed on his fingers. The preacher is about to be released but cant get the man to say where the hidden money is located but he knows that his family must know.

The Preacher heads off to find the mans widow and her 2 children. He begins to con her to marrying him in the hopes of finding the money. The 2 kids are John and Pearl and whereas Pearl is very young and likes the Preacher, John knows something is not right with him......

This story is based on the Lonely Hearts Killer Harry Powers who was hanged in 1932 after killing women he met in ads for their money.

This is a fantastic read and I am annoyed I only read this now but better late than never! Its been a good while since I have seen the movie but this is great too. The Preacher is one of the most creepiest characters ever as he goes from a nice guy to a killer in a moments notice! An interesting thing is that the speech of the characters is not in inverted commas. There is no she said or he said. It is like a flow and this ends up making everything seem even creepier!

Tension really builds until the climax of the book as The Preacher gets closer and closer to what he wants. The way he ingratiates himself into the family and the neighbours is very creepy as we know what he really is there for and its all a lie. The writing is great too as Grubb shows what life was like back then with people having nothing but becoming under the spell of the charismatic but evil Preacher.

It really is a classic thriller so this book is definitely recommended and now I must watch the movie again!!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.easons.com%2Fglobalassets%2F5637150827%2Fall%2Fbooks%2Fsports%2Fself-defence--martial-arts%2F9780717186280.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Hooligan by Paddy Holohan

This is the autobiography of the former MMA fighter Paddy Holohan and if you like that sport like I do then you will love this. Even if you don't, this is a great read for any sports fan. He goes into a lot of details about how everything started and the life of a pro MMA fighter.

This is much better than Andy Lee's book that I reviewed here and goes into more details than John Kavanaghs book. Especially about the losses and this was my main criticism of Kavanagh's book. Here, Paddy is very honest about everything even his own faults so that is what makes this a very good book and better than the others.

I felt like I was getting Paddys take on everything that happened from his point of view especially his falling out with John Kavanagh. To me, it seems like it was a lack of communication at the most important times and this left everyone feeling aggrieved. That's just my take anyway!

The best thing again is Paddys honesty about everything so this is well worth your time to read if you like biographies or sport.

BloodbrothersNovel.jpg

Bloodbrothers by Richard Price

I really like reading Richard Price and I want to read all his books eventually. I reviewed Clockers here already in case you missed it. This is one he wrote in 1976 and is about an 18 year old kid called Stony De Coco who is at a bit of a crossroads in life. His dad wants him to join him in construction work and become a union man like him. Stony doesn't know if he wants to do that for the rest of his life and gets a job in a hospital.There he works with kids and finds himself a natural at it but his father thinks there is no money in that and wants him to join him in the construction work.

Meanwhile at home, his mother is a bit mentally unbalanced and Stony wants to protect his little brother from her.His Uncle called Chubby is in the union also and violence is a way of life in the family and neighbourhood as its in the 70s.

This book contains violence, profanity and sex scenes so go read it! :pac: No, I just say this in case that is not your kind of thing. Price is great at dialogue and this is no exception. I really enjoyed this book except the ending is a let down. This is a pity as the book would have been a classic with a good ending. As the way it is, it is still a good read but could have been better. If you like Price's work then you will like this also. This book was made into a movie starring Richard Gere and I must try to get to see that now.

797283.jpg

Cry Wolf (Modesty Blaise story strips #10) by Peter O'Donnell

This is a real old style comic that I used to love as a kid. This is the type of comic I really liked but I had never read Modesty Blaise. She is a great character and is like a female James Bond that does work for the British Government.She is never without her partner Willie Garvin and together they can stop crime and nearly do anything!

Quentin Tarantino is supposed to have been a fan of the character and was meant to be interested in doing a movie with her. You can see why, as she would be perfect in todays world too. A female who can really fight and do everything cool like James Bond does too.

In this collection, there are 3 stories that have each an intro from the author himself.

The first called "Take me to your leader" is about an eminent scientist and a group of people witnessing a UFO land and meeting aliens. Is it real? Loads of witnesses and evidence. Modesty and Willie investigate......

The second called "Highland Witch" is about Modesty and Willie rescuing a nearly drowned lady and then trying to find out why she was being killed....

The third called "Cry Wolf" is about a mathematician that the government want to crack a code but he has gone to live in Lapland. Modesty and Willie are sent to rescue him as the KGB are about to kidnap him.

There are further collections of the character that I really want to get and read now. Each strip is only about 3 panels but the stories are great. Lots packed in. They were in the Evening Standard newspaper from 1963 to 2001 so you can see why there are KGB involved.

Highly recommended if you like old school style comics like I do. They really took me back to when I was a kid. No Graphic novels just simple black and white comics with great stories full of adventures, peril and fights!!!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61n2W5L675L._SL300_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

I watch Baseball sometimes and like it so combining Stephen King and Baseball seemed great so here we are. This is a short book/novella about one of Kings loves, Baseball.It also has a short story in it called Morality.Blockade Billy is about a player in a 50s era team that transforms the fortunes of a baseball team and is told by an old timer as the narrator. Billy comes out of nowhere but no one knows much about him. What is his story and why does it have a tragic end?

The second story Morality is about a struggling young couple that can barely pay their bills getting offered 200,000 to make their life better. Things go great for a while until it all starts to unravel.......

These 2 stories are really just regular fiction without the suspense or horror that King usually has and as such, they are both really tame and dull. If you don't like baseball you will definitely hate Blockade Billy and probably even if you do! I like baseball but I found the story very dull. Morality is a story that goes nowhere at all so that was disappointing too.

So this is another very poor King book. He lurches from the great (Cujo, The Institute) to the really poor such as this. Don't waste your time with this one.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcontemporarycomics.files.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F10%2F24221_exit_wounds_graphic_novel_rutu_modan_view_1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan

This is a graphic novel by a female Israeli cartoonist and being honest, I thought I wouldn't like this much at first. Its more of a drama and I thought it might be dull but I read it anyway.

Its about a young taxi driver called Koby in Tel Aviv who gets told by a female soldier that his estranged father may have been killed by a suicide bombing. Its not certain so he joins the female soldier in trying to find out for sure. This is a story about relationships and isn't really a mystery or anything in case you are looking for that. Not that much happens but weirdly enough I found myself reading away non stop. Its more about how Koby has coped since he was young after falling out with his dad. I would normally hate these kind of stories!

The drawing style of Modan is very like Herge's Tintin if you are familiar with that and I liked it. You can see the style from the cover above. I enjoyed it being set in Israel too as its strange to see suicide bombings and soldiers is a way of life there though obviously I knew that but interesting to see in comic form.

In the end, I really enjoyed this tale and would recommend it. Its one of those you might dismiss at first like I did but is worth reading. I must definitely try to read more of her work as I liked the drawing style and story.

?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_yfI-F66Cprw%2FS_Ldw9mHq8I%2FAAAAAAAABdY%2FRpTCy2z7YqA%2Fs1600%2F51550%252BEOzZL._SS500_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Entanglement by Zygmunt Miloszewski

This is a polish crime novel that has been translated (obviously!) and is about a group therapy session in a secluded place. The next morning one of the group is found with a meat skewer through the eye ( That's gotta hurt!) so who did it? Why?

We have a polish prosecutor investigating the case and he is world weary. His mane is Teodor Szacki and he has only a short time to investigate it due to his work load. He has a boring marriage and meets a journalist asking about the case. She is very nice looking and while this is all going on he is under pressure from his superiors.

This is a book where I feel like I learned loads especially about Poland. The prosecutor investigates the cases and they still use their own currency the Zloty. I assumed they used the euro as the were in the EU but they don't! They still have a legacy from communism with all the red tape etc

The most weirdest part of all is the form of therapy used in this book. I thought it was made up but it is a real thing called Family Constellation Therapy. Entanglement is a term used within this hence the name of the book. People stand around the one person and take on roles of people within his/her life. Strangers can do it as they pick up on the "field" generated about the person. It sounds complete quackery to me but it makes for a good setting for a murder!

This book is part of a series and is really good. It sounds bonkers but it really is a good crime novel. The main character is very good and I enjoyed the translated writing. It feels really polish with a lot of local references to areas and its history having been part of the USSR. The investigation ends up going a lot deeper than a simple murder and Teodor's life gets complex with temptations and conspiracies around him.

If you like crime novels then give this one a chance. It really was worth it and was a very good read. Definitely recommended!!

• Advertisement

3106983._SY475_.jpg

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and The Story of a Return
    (Persepolis #1-4) by Marjane Satrapi

This is a graphic novel about the fall of the Shah in Iran and the Islamic Revolution there. Its from a woman who grew up there right at that time and saw the whole country changing. I had great hopes for this and was really looking forward to it.Its only the size of a regular book which I thought unusual.

Sadly this is a book that I could not finish!! There were a number of factors in that. The book size is far too small. Maybe its just the copy I had but it was very difficult to read. Think of a graphic novel condensed into a regular size book. The writing was very hard to read and also the drawing looks like it was done by a 7 year old!! Its a pity I could not get over halfway but I found myself having to reread pages to understand it. The font is so small to read and I had to really focus on it. This was making reading like a chore and not good for my eyes!!

Even though I was very interested in the premise of the book, the way it was written was very boring. I was not drawn in at all. The artwork was very poor as well so it just didn't entertain me.With all these factors, I decided to give up and move on around halfway.A pity but I read for enjoyment and not for the sake of it!!! :pac:

I wouldn't recommend this at all which is the exact opposite of what I thought before I started reading it!

Advertisement