Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insulation (quote check)

• 22-02-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check if this quote makes sense. I've a feeling it does because of the roof work but just wanted to make sure.

Warm board the extension at back of house 25m2 €2,500
    Retro roof spray foam extension €1,400
    Insulate voids either side of attic €1,400
    Retro roof spray main roof €2,800
    Soffit vents €200
    Cavity beads main house €1,500

Maybe the warm boarding on the extension is a bit dear?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Griff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check if this quote makes sense. I've a feeling it does because of the roof work but just wanted to make sure.

Warm board the extension at back of house 25m2 €2,500
    Retro roof spray foam extension €1,400
    Insulate voids either side of attic €1,400
    Retro roof spray main roof €2,800
    Soffit vents €200
    Cavity beads main house €1,500

Maybe the warm boarding on the extension is a bit dear?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Griff

Does the warm board include a skim? Doesn't look excessive if so.

As regards the other prices, it's hard to know without areas. If the cavity wall of the main house is north of 100m2 then the price is about right.

Also, the spray foam on the existing roof...make sure they have ventilation provided for. Most NSAI certified spray foam insulation require a vent card to ensure a ventilated space between the insulation and felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Does the warm board include a skim? Doesn't look excessive if so.

As regards the other prices, it's hard to know without areas. If the cavity wall of the main house is north of 100m2 then the price is about right.

Also, the spray foam on the existing roof...make sure they have ventilation provided for. Most NSAI certified spray foam insulation require a vent card to ensure a ventilated space between the insulation and felt.

Thanks, the price includes skim. The spray foam for the attic includes a vent card and they're NSAI certified. They need to do a drill test to double check that the house is suitable for cavity beads but it looks like it is. To be honest I think I'm losing most of the heat through the extension at the back and the attic, so those alone would make a big difference to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks, the price includes skim. The spray foam for the attic includes a vent card and they're NSAI certified. They need to do a drill test to double check that the house is suitable for cavity beads but it looks like it is. To be honest I think I'm losing most of the heat through the extension at the back and the attic, so those alone would make a big difference to the house.

What thickness is the warm board out of curiosity?

What thickness is the warm board out of curiosity?

92mm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Not enough info. Why not get two more quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

BryanF wrote: »
    Not enough info. Why not get two more quotes.
    ^^^this + get a test on the house to verify that your heatloss is (lack of) insulation related.

Thanks. I'm planning to get a couple of more quotes but wanted to see if the ballpark figure would be around that.

What would other potential causes of heat loss in the house be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

The largest cause of heatloss in Irish houses is not conduction losses which insulation addresses but rather convective losses (draughts to you and me) aka air leakage. Upgrading insulation in a house does not address this unless by pure accident.
    The quote you got comes to 10k approx. My advice is to take 5% percent of this and get the house tested first by someone not selling insulation. Then invest with confidence.

Thanks for the tips - I'll look for a few more quotes. I'm not sure about the cause of heatloss in the extension, could well be drafts, but the Attic has pretty much no insulation at the moment anyway.

If anyone has any recommendations for any reliable companies in this area I'd love to hear them by pm. I'm based in the south of Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

If spending 10k on Insulation get an airtightness test done.

Could be a waste of 10k otherwise.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    If spending 10k on Insulation get an airtightness test done.

Could be a waste of 10k otherwise.

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a firm that would come in and do all of this and remedy the situation as required? I.e. insulate if needed, reduce drafts if that'd be enough. I could do with someone reliable to assess the situation fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Thanks. Can anyone recommend a firm that would come in and do all of this and remedy the situation as required? I.e. insulate if needed, reduce drafts if that'd be enough. I could do with someone reliable to assess the situation fully.

We got this done very recently with a crowd called -snip-. Couldn’t recommend them more.

I was convinced our big heat loss was attributable to a flat roof we have and our current level of insulation in the attic, but the detailed report and the accompanying thermal images highlighted that it was air leaks and our open fire place that was the biggest culprits. Saved us €1000s in work we would have had done off our own instinct.

They carry out a very detailed assessment, provide a report and circa 40 thermal images from around your house, and then provide recommendations to address the issues and the priority in which to address them.

I have no connection to this company, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Charlie wrote: »
    We got this done very recently with a crowd called -snip-. Couldn’t recommend them more.

I was convinced our big heat loss was attributable to a flat roof we have and our current level of insulation in the attic, but the detailed report and the accompanying thermal images highlighted that it was air leaks and our open fire place that was the biggest culprits. Saved us €1000s in work we would have had done off our own instinct.

They carry out a very detailed assessment, provide a report and circa 40 thermal images from around your house, and then provide recommendations to address the issues and the priority in which to address them.

I have no connection to this company, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Thanks, that's very helpful. How much was the assessment do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Thanks, that's very helpful. How much was the assessment do you mind me asking?

€400 Excl. VAT well worth it given the money we were putting aside for various insulation jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Can anyone recommend a firm that would come in and do all of this and remedy the situation as required?

It might be wise to get someone to test for airtightness, and use an infrared camera for heat detection loss, who is not in the business of selling any other products or services. Reduces the chances of them trying to flog you stuff just because they are selling it.

I PM'd some companies who will do above testing. Can find a list here also https://www.nsai.ie/certification/agrement-certification/air-tightness-testing/

Thanks guys, I have much better idea about what I'm looking for now

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

€400 Excl. VAT well worth it given the money we were putting aside for various insulation jobs.

Could I get a PM for who these were? Your mailbox is full, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Could I also get a PM with the name of the contractor?
    Your PM inbox is full.

Advertisement