Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

awec wrote: »
    Personally I'd just give Leinster the trophy now and save everyone the hassle.

If a few more weeks of games get postponed that might happen there'll be no time to play all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Did I hear someone say replace the remaining games with interpros?

Cheetahs will be get second place in conference A in no timr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Statement from the Pro14.
    Beyond the two postponements this weekend, all scheduled Guinness PRO14 fixtures are set to go ahead – including the refixed Round 11 game between Dragons and Benetton Rugby on March 6.

A process has already begun to find alternative dates for this weekend’s postponed fixtures involving Zebre Rugby Club v Ospreys and Benetton Rugby v Ulster Rugby.

In the event that any future games are postponed and no alternative dates can be found to ensure the fixture is fulfilled, the board of Celtic Rugby DAC has agreed that both teams will be awarded two match points and the game will be deemed a 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    Personally I'd just give Leinster the trophy now and save everyone the hassle.

So no different than before covid19 then

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh (47):
    Kings (A), Cheetahs (A), Benetton (H), Ulster (A), Ospreys (H), Munster (H), Connacht (A), Glasgow (H)

Munster (45):
    Benetton (A), Benetton (H), Cardiff (H), Leinster (A), Glasgow (H), Edinburgh (A), Scarlets (A), Connacht (H)

Scarlets (37):
    Connacht (A), Dragons (H), Kings (A), Cardiff (H), Benetton (A), Leinster (H), Munster (H), Ospreys (A)

Top three as it stands in Conference B. Connacht to play the Kings tomorrow and likely get to 35 points.
    The Benetton fixtures are up in the air right now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Edinburgh (47):
    Kings (A), Cheetahs (A), Benetton (H), Ulster (A), Ospreys (H), Munster (H), Connacht (A), Glasgow (H)

Munster (45):
    Benetton (A), Benetton (H), Cardiff (H), Leinster (A), Glasgow (H), Edinburgh (A), Scarlets (A), Connacht (H)

Scarlets (37):
    Connacht (A), Dragons (H), Kings (A), Cardiff (H), Benetton (A), Leinster (H), Munster (H), Ospreys (A)

Top three as it stands in Conference B. Connacht to play the Kings tomorrow and likely get to 35 points.
    The Benetton fixtures are up in the air right now...

Think the whole competition will be stopped soon, might be played behind close doors, but all large public events will soon be banned

I could easily see a bulk of matches being played behind closed doors for much of the remainder of the season it not cancelled all together. That's Six nations, Heineken cup, Pro14.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're home schooling our kids by the end of march.

Edinburgh (47):
    Kings (A), Cheetahs (A), ERCC QF, Benetton (H), Ulster (A), Ospreys (H), Munster (H), Connacht (A), Glasgow (H)

Munster (45):

Scarlets (37):
    Connacht (A), Dragons (H), ERCC QF, Kings (A), Cardiff (H), Benetton (A), Leinster (H), Munster (H), Ospreys (A)

Connacht (35):
    Scarlets (H), Zebre (A), Glasgow (H), Benetton (A), Ulster (H), Cardiff (A), Edinburgh (H),

Ulster (41):
    Benetton (A), Dragons (H), Glasgow (A), ERCC QF, Dragons (A), Edinburgh (H), Connacht (A), Glasgow (H), Zebre (A), Leinster (H)

Glasgow (34):
    Ospreys (A), Ulster (H), Connacht (A), Cheetahs (H), Munster (A), Ulster (A), Ospreys (H), Edinburgh (A)

Cheetahs (32):
    Leinster (H), Edinburgh (H), Ospreys (H), Glasgow (A), Zebre (H), Dragons (H), Benetton (H)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Venjur wrote: »
    I could easily see a bulk of matches being played behind closed doors for much of the remainder of the season it not cancelled all together. That's Six nations, Heineken cup, Pro14.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're home schooling our kids by the end of march.

To be fair to them, Edinburgh have been doing this as a precaution for the last 14 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Italy v england postponed

Cannot see pro14 taking the alternative route of playing games behind closed doors given its in the most impacted area of Italy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Italy v england postponed

Cannot see pro14 taking the alternative route of playing games behind closed doors given its in the most impacted area of Italy.

Way less to lose for the Pro14 in playing behind closed doors though. The postponement as opposed to closed doors is, I'm sure, as much financial as anything else.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Way less to lose for the Pro14 in playing behind closed doors though. The postponement as opposed to closed doors is, I'm sure, as much financial as anything else.

I get that, but imagine if a player contracts the virus as a result of a trip to northern Italy.

I Think there will be games PP in next few weeks declares as 0-0

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Unless there are government directives to the contrary, I can see the Pro14 still seeking to continue the season with a plan in place for the Italian teams whether it's for them to play in a neutral venue or just award 2 points to both teams for the remainder of the season.

Currently, there are only 6 cases in ROI, 3 in NI, 3 in Scotland and (to my knowledge) 1 in Wales. I can see them continuing with games for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »
    Unless there are government directives to the contrary, I can see the Pro14 still seeking to continue the season with a plan in place for the Italian teams whether it's for them to play in a neutral venue or just award 2 points to both teams for the remainder of the season.

Currently, there are only 6 cases in ROI, 3 in NI, 3 in Scotland and (to my knowledge) 1 in Wales. I can see them continuing with games for the time being.

Scotland now up to 6. I'm climbing An Teallach in the Northwest Highlands today and it was on the news on BBC Scotland. Weather is glorious....but cold as a witches ho-ha. Blue sky, tourquoise sea and snowy mountains. Paradise.

Benetton v Munster and Zebre v Connacht are off. European weekends being looked at as possible dates to play them.
    https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/two-italian-guinness-pro14-fixtures-postponed

Benetton earn a TBP win at Dragons, putting them level with Cardiff with a game in hand (home to Ulster).

They're not quite out of the running just yet for the playoffs, but assuming they end up playing all their games will at best one rest week once the Pro14 restarts. With 4 LBP defeats this season looks like an opportunity lost.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1236373810699546628?s=19

Both areas are where Benetton and Zebre are based are included in this.

Edit
    It seems there has been a spike in cases outside the original 4 now.

Crazy. That's 1/6th the population of Italy. In two months we've gone from early reports of a virus in China to an effective quarantine zone 1500km away from Wexford.

• Advertisement

Venjur wrote: »
    Crazy. That's 1/6th the population of Italy. In two months we've gone from early reports of a virus in China to an effective quarantine zone 1500km away from Wexford.

From reading online about this, the expectation seems to be this could be for 2-3 months.

Edit

Italy pushing through emergency legislation tonight to deal with this situation. Possibility that flights will be grounded too

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1236409411373015040?s=19

The Italian decree, weddings and funerals banned

Any games involving the Italian sides home or away will get PP now Too

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1236409411373015040?s=19

The Italian decree, weddings and funerals banned

Any games involving the Italian sides home or away will get PP now Too

I've tried to get a handle on the ban, but haven't been able to find anything clear in English. It seems like the restrictions in Lombardy aren't as strict in the other lock down the regions, but I can't find anything that actually confirms that.

What I have been able to confirm though (thanks Twitter) is that pro sport teams can continue to train and play behind closed doors in all regions. So Serie A games should be played

As Parma and Treviso aren't in Lombardy, there's a possibility that they'll still be able to travel.

I think.

But probably they can't.

I've tried to get a handle on the ban, but haven't been able to find anything clear in English. It seems like the restrictions in Lombardy aren't as strict in the other lock down the regions, but I can't find anything that actually confirms that.

What I have been able to confirm though (thanks Twitter) is that pro sport teams can continue to train and play behind closed doors in all regions. So Serie A games should be played

As Parma and Treviso aren't in Lombardy, there's a possibility that they'll still be able to travel.

I think.

But probably they can't.

Lombardy grabbing the attention because of Milans importance as a financial hub in Italy. Treviso and Zebre 100% impacted. Indications are a bit vague but mid April seems to be the earliest this would be lifted. Italian medical officer seems to be hinting at running out of bed, supplies etc

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1236464319140855808?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I know he's just reporting the new here, but that same journalist (Palmeri, is he a journalist?) absolutely railed against the decision to call off the Ire v Italy game, can't remember his exact words but they were along the lines of it was ridiculous and made Italy seem virus riddled.

Cardiff v Zebre
    Munster v Benetton

Both games above to have question marks over them now

Italian Olympic committee has suspended all sporting events until April 3rd at earliest and is seeking a govt decree to enforce it

Italian Olympic committee has suspended all sporting events until April 3rd at earliest and is seeking a govt decree to enforce it

Zebre have already said that they're cancelling all training for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Zebre have already said that they're cancelling all training for the duration.

Thank you!
    Cardiff game is cancelled, then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Advertisement