Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Saorview Tuner

• 31-01-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭

I did a search on this but all the threads seems pretty old. Looking for a recommendation for a USB tuner stick/whatever to allow a Windows 10 PC to show a bit of TV in a study.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe something like this is what you had in mind?
    https://www.freetv.ie/usb-dvb-t2-tuner/

IMO that is very costly ...... similar should be available at less than €20. I bought several some time ago at less than €10 suitable for Saorview.

Should be plenty on line similar to this
    https://www.amazon.com/Tuner-DVB-T2-Digital-Receiver-Computer/dp/B081NYVW7Y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks for the suggestions, I was after one that plugs into a PC so purchased something via Aliexpress similar to the one from the freetv link. Might have it in a month or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

When connecting it I suggest you use a USB extension cable (short one would do) to take the strain off the USB socket in the PC.
    It can easily get strained and even broken if the aerial lead connected to the tuner is jolted.

I would probably have gone for something like this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROHS-Digital-USB-2-0-TV-Stick-FM-DAB-DVB-T-RTL2832U-R820T-Support-SDR-Tuner/283700090203?hash=item420dd7d55b:g:RokAAOSwUrxd6LHq
    It is not DVB-T2 so useless for Freeview, but does Saorview - I have no access to Freeview.

Just to close this one off, my tuner arrived from Aliexpress today & using the tiny little aerial it came with amazingly works perfectly.

504049.jpg

Software is NextPVR btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did your remote work? Do any of the remotes work on the cheap ones? Why do they even put them in the box?

I dont like that NextPVR software or any of theother software Ive tried either, its always slow and clunky. The best software I ever had for them was actually the Windows Media Centre app but thats long gone now with Windows 10.

Is there any stripped down barebones software that just works?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It did come with a remote in fact but no idea how that would work as I didn't bother installing the 9 year old s/w it came with (ArcSoft Totalmedia).

There's already a tv in the house so this won't be used too much but though it handy to have in a study. Wil check out Media Portal as well to see what it's like.

Had a go using Media Portal but it's way too overblown for what I want which is to just watch a bit of live tv every now & again. NextPVR is fine for that.

Advertisement