Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wire nuts

Options
  • 24-02-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭

are they allowed to be used here . i saw them for sale in lidl last week

Comments

I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

as far as i know they are
    the older ceramic ones were banned in the U.K. a number of years ago
    there are better alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 23 advise_needed

I hope not

i think some ring floodlights use them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They're typically known as Scruits (pronounced Screw Its) rather than Wire Nuts here. Wire Nuts is the North American name for them. The last time I saw them they were supplied with a Mag lock kit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't know the what the regs say about them here, however, please shoot on sight anyone you see using them on anything over 12V. anything.

I've seen them a lot over the years, mostly on American built machinery, and seen the result of when they melt due to the installer not knowing how to use them. Run a mile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement