Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning from abroad - Proof of non residency for less than 280 days over 2 years

• 23-02-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've opened a query with revenue's online service but they can be a bit slow in responding.
    I'm working abroad, will be non-resident for tax purposes for last year and this year (meeting both the 183 and 280 day rules). Just wondering what documentation I will need to bring back to show this? (work contact over here etc)

Anyone with experience of this process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pat Mustard 1111111111111

Just have anything that provides evidence that you were abroad during the time period.

Credit Card transactions, flight receipts, boarding passes, photocopies of passport stamps, work contracts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

The Irish tax system is one of self assessment - to the extent you have a filing obligation, if you are / were non-resident, then you indicate that on the relevant return.

If you have no filing obligations then there’s nothing for you to declare at this time, but you may be asked by Revenue why you haven’t filed.

Revenue may enquire into the declaration of non-residence in respect of the first scenario, or may enquire into the non-filing of a return in the second scenario. It is then, and only then, that you need to prove your residency, which should be quite easy, since we live on an island..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Thanks all!

Advertisement