Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosch or Makita saw for basic/beginner?

• 15-02-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I have slowly started building up my tools and a few projects over the past year. I wouldn't by any means be a heavy user, but I am hoping to get at it more this year.

I will just be using them for home projects and stuff.

I am currently looking at a circular saw, and would like opinions on which is better for the price and what may be a better option (and what to look out for).

Alos, is there much of a difference between the two?

This Bosch GKS 190 is €134 delivered - https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00O57B5AI/

or
    This Makita HS7601J which is €139 delivered - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B012CKRAYY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What will you actually use this for?

For example, if cutting sheets of MDF or plywood, a smaller saw with tracks should be considered, if cutting lengths of timber, a chop saw would be better etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What will you actually use this for?

For example, if cutting sheets of MDF or plywood, a smaller saw with tracks should be considered, if cutting lengths of timber, a chop saw would be better etc.

Thanks - Wow, that was quick, I was still browsing amazon..

I will be using it for all sorts of things, maybe cutting sheets of MDF and smaller sheets of harder woods on a much smaller scale. Many different projects (many of which I don't yet know exist :) )
    I was looking at a Pallet shed a few months back and I still have it in my head, so that may be one of the things.. (Not sure I am that capable yet).

It is possible I wouldn't be cutting anything too big at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If you're not a heavy user would you consider a battery operated circular saw? If you already have a battery operated tool you could buy a circular saw on its own, on battery or charger

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'd recommend the evolution range. Tracks are the most useful saw in my opinion. I have an evolution 185mm circular saw, which I would use occasionally. I have a Lidl track saw that I use with an evolution track. It's my most used saw after my evolution chop saw.

Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi and grab their track saw whenever it is in. Replace the blade and you have a very useful saw that will last a long time of occasional use. Doesn't have to be used with the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a track saw.

Also I've had bad experience with scheppach, motor burn out..wouldn't buy again.

Titan track saws get rave reviews.

I've had solid experience with the evolution rage range from Amazon.

And don't mind the cordless advice, your not in the price range for a reliable one.

Thanks, was looking at the Scheppach table saw for €108 + €35 shipping, but not if they are prone to burn out. Also I didn't know if a table saw or circular saw is better.
    Unfortunately I don't have any battery tools that I can swap the battery with for circular saw.

When I search Titan track saw on amazon these results appear, with the evolution track saw there, and a much better price than the others.
    So I guess that will likely be the one to go for.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Power-Tools-R185CCSX-Multi-Material/dp/B07HJDTMQC/
    Looking forward to this :)
    I plan on making a few things for the garden and around the house to begin with.

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't realise a track would be needed or would be such a big advantage, but I guess it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Macker

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I have a few Makita 18v tools but I was thinking of getting a bench saw, would upgrading to a better blade and battery with a track be a better option, also are tracks generic or do I need a makita track to fit my makita saw and can I cut accurate joints like dados and rabbits with a track?

Macker wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I have a few Makita 18v tools but I was thinking of getting a bench saw, would upgrading to a better blade and battery with a track be a better option, also are tracks generic or do I need a makita track to fit my makita saw and can I cut accurate joints like dados and rabbits with a track?

What's the model number of the saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Just save up and buy a table saw. I have a collection of Makita cordless tools with NiCad batteries which are already obsolete. Track saws have become very popular but remember the blade cuts on the upstroke and most of us like to have the face side upwards to see the layout marks - tracksaws tend to splinter the upper face. If you want to rip down solid wood or thick plywood you really need a belt driven table saw.
    Dados and rebates are another matter and best done on a router table - unless you get a table saw with a dado head and that's another story. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    Just save up and buy a table saw. I have a collection of Makita cordless tools with NiCad batteries which are already obsolete. Track saws have become very popular but remember the blade cuts on the upstroke and most of us like to have the face side upwards to see the layout marks - tracksaws tend to splinter the upper face. If you want to rip down solid wood or thick plywood you really need a belt driven table saw.
    Dados and rebates are another matter and best done on a router table - unless you get a table saw with a dado head and that's another story. :rolleyes:

Do you have a track saw? I can only assume not. With the correct blade and a splinter guard fitted and adjusted, tracks saws will do a cleaner and safer cut than you’d manage on most site table saws, especially if the idea is to cut down 8x4 or 10 x 5 materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Macker

JayZeus wrote: »
    What's the model number of the saw?
    DSS611Z 165mm 18V

DSS611Z 165mm 18V

No easy way to make that work on a track I’m afraid.

Do you have a track saw? I can only assume not. With the correct blade and a splinter guard fitted and adjusted, tracks saws will do a cleaner and safer cut than you’d manage on most site table saws, especially if the idea is to cut down 8x4 or 10 x 5 materials.

I bought a track saw. The amazon one, but due to a lot of different things, I haven't even opened its box yet (haven't been in the building it was delivered to).

Can they cut at an angle like a table saw? I saw Lidl are selling a table saw this week and the angle can be rotated easily enough (as on most table saws I guess), but I am just wondering if that is the same on a track saw? I may buy the lidl saw as well.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭con747

Suckit wrote: »
    I have slowly started building up my tools and a few projects over the past year. I wouldn't by any means be a heavy user, but I am hoping to get at it more this year.

I will just be using them for home projects and stuff.

I am currently looking at a circular saw, and would like opinions on which is better for the price and what may be a better option (and what to look out for).

Alos, is there much of a difference between the two?

This Bosch GKS 190 is €134 delivered - https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00O57B5AI/

or
    This Makita HS7601J which is €139 delivered - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B012CKRAYY

If you can afford it buy a DeWalt cordless and a spare battery, more than enough for diy use and will last years. If need a wired saw the same.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 machomac

Bought a Triton Workstation second hand years ago and love it. Works as table saw and cross saw. Take the saw off and use it without the table. Does a wide variety tasks perfect for a range of applications. I also made up hardboard track guides to suit the saw for long straight cuts without the table. Super simple to do and will last ya forever. You can also attach a router to the table too. Right job.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

any less than a commercial grade table saw is a nightmare to handle big sheets. track saw makes it a doddle and can be extremely accurate and cut very cleanly. personally find one much more versatile that a domestic grade table saw.

Suckit wrote: »
    I bought a track saw. The amazon one, but due to a lot of different things, I haven't even opened its box yet (haven't been in the building it was delivered to).

Can they cut at an angle like a table saw?

Absolutely they can. Plenty of good videos on using tracksaws, tips and tricks and the like. The Gosford Handyman channel is a good starting point. He's using much more expensive Festool kit but the basics of setting up and making the cuts you want are the very same. Read the manual though. It will help you.

And don't buy a tablesaw in Lidl. A right waste of money altogether.

Absolutely they can. Plenty of good videos on using tracksaws, tips and tricks and the like. The Gosford Handyman channel is a good starting point. He's using much more expensive Festool kit but the basics of setting up and making the cuts you want are the very same. Read the manual though. It will help you.

And don't buy a tablesaw in Lidl. A right waste of money altogether.
    Thanks. I didn't go for the Lidl saw in the end - it was yesterday and the stores were mobbed, so it looks like I got lucky. I will be able to see the amazon saw tomorrow for the first time since it was delivered.

I had a look at the pictures online and could see the dial for changing angle.

Hopefully I will be able to use it outdoors tomorrow and make a very basic small fence for bins, as a practice. I haven't looked up the weather yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

i don't know the first thing about wood working or saws: but i do watch this guy on YouTube, I'm sure if you go digging in his channel you will find a review of at least one of them,

hes also very funny but might not be to every ones taste:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/videos

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    i don't know the first thing about wood working or saws: but i do watch this guy on YouTube, I'm sure if you go digging in his channel you will find a review of at least one of them,

hes also very funny but might not be to every ones taste:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/videos

Yeah, and AvE also doesn’t do woodworking. He takes apart a €700 Festool TS55, but that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

enumbers wrote: »
    any less than a commercial grade table saw is a nightmare to handle big sheets. track saw makes it a doddle and can be extremely accurate and cut very cleanly. personally find one much more versatile that a domestic grade table saw.

Yes but nothing beats a table saw with a sliding fence to square off panels/ doors etc. These are best made in the workshop anyway ?

DSS611Z 165mm 18V

Macker, this is an interesting idea - Might be a good option for you to give it a go with your particular saw too:

Advertisement