Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I changed my Language from English (Ireland) to English (United Kingdom) and the options appear. I selected Keep as a list provider, tested it with Assistant, and then changed the language back to English (ireland). The option to select a list provider disappeared, but Assistant continues to work with Keep. Better still, my default shopping list is one that my wife created and shared with me. So now we have a common, voice-enabled shopping list. For me, this is why Google Assistant was created.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks lads, I was trying Heart stations from the UK...will try again tomorrow to see of it's any different.

Always listen to heart and smooth on our Google home via TuneIn and seemed to have disappeared a few days ago. Any info on this as these stations are great and can't find why they are "not available in my country" as the voice keeps telling me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Access wrote: »
    Always listen to heart and smooth on our Google home via TuneIn and seemed to have disappeared a few days ago. Any info on this as these stations are great and can't find why they are "not available in my country" as the voice keeps telling me.

So I'm not the only one listening to them from here :)

Going to tweet tune in support to see if they know anything. Tried a google news.search and nothing there either (BBC stopped a while back and it was a news story). Seems to have affected all Global stations (Heart, Smooth, Capital among others), it's not working on the tuneinapp on my phone either.

When the BBC disappeared from tunein, google home started pulling the stream from the BBCs own website but can't seem to get it to do the same now with Hesrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

I listen to Sydney Australia Smooth fm.

"Hey google, play smooth fm 95.3 on kitchen tv" is my most used command.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

So I'm not the only one listening to them from here :)

Going to tweet tune in support to see if they know anything. Tried a google news.search and nothing there either (BBC stopped a while back and it was a news story). Seems to have affected all Global stations (Heart, Smooth, Capital among others), it's not working on the tuneinapp on my phone either.

When the BBC disappeared from tunein, google home started pulling the stream from the BBCs own website but can't seem to get it to do the same now with Hesrt.

Yes... Capital is another one too!... Really annoying but like you say since they are under the same parent company they must be trying to push their own app. I cannot understand why we are limited to TuneIn on Google home. Really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    I listen to Sydney Australia Smooth fm.

"Hey google, play smooth fm 95.3 on kitchen tv" is my most used command.

I just checked and its still working.

Mech1 wrote: »
    I just checked and its still working.

The smooth radio that has stopped is from the UK.

Got this from tunein support, asked if they can confirm it was requested by the broadcaster 😟

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. Upon further checking, I've confirmed that these radio station's broadcasters currently restrict access to this station to their country only. If you reside outside of the station's country of origin unfortunately you will no longer be able to listen to their streams through TuneIn.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for your continued support of TuneIn!

Response from tunein

Thank you for getting back to us. The broadcaster decides whether to restrict their station or not. You may contact the broadcaster directly to request for them to remove the restriction from their station.

To contact a station or program directly, please navigate to the station's profile page, and then click the "More Information" menu under the station's logo. If they have provided us with any contact information you will find it here. They will be able to provide you with information about playlists, contests, and content.

If you have any other concern, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Calvin

TuneIn, Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Hi I’m wondering could anyone advise...I’m new to this and got the free nest mini before Xmas. Then ended up getting light strips and a hue bridge to control them...all works well. But cannot for the life of me get it to control a netatmo thermostat. It can’t see it when I search through the app. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gebbel wrote: »
    Hi I’m wondering could anyone advise...I’m new to this and got the free nest mini before Xmas. Then ended up getting light strips and a hue bridge to control them...all works well. But cannot for the life of me get it to control a netatmo thermostat. It can’t see it when I search through the app. Many thanks.

Link them here
    https://assistant.google.com/services/a/uid/000000bc2b3f4d24?hl=en-US&hl=en-GB&jsmode=o&source=web

Then tell Google sync my devices

• Advertisement

Thank you. I did that but it’s telling me the netatmo hasn’t been set up yet and to goto the app. I’ve done this many times and it’s always saying the netatmo is linked when I go through the add devices section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gebbel wrote: »
    Thank you. I did that but it’s telling me the netatmo hasn’t been set up yet and to goto the app. I’ve done this many times and it’s always saying the netatmo is linked when I go through the add devices section.

Unlink and link again

Unlink and link again

Many thanks again. Sorry to be a pain...I did that and it unlinked. Then relinked but it’s telling me the device hasn’t been set up yet...even though it is.

Edit: got it. Had to reset the relay and change email address. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Im looking for help

My mother signed up for Virgin TV. She has three tvs and has just had a visit from Virgin engineer who connected one tv with horizon box.

Is it possible for me to buy two chromecasts and set her up so she can cast the virgin tv anywhere app from her phone to these tvs instead of paying for multiroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Im looking for help

My mother signed up for Virgin TV. She has three tvs and has just had a visit from Virgin engineer who connected one tv with horizon box.

Is it possible for me to buy two chromecasts and set her up so she can cast the virgin tv anywhere app from her phone to these tvs instead of paying for multiroom?

Yeah but AFAIR you can only cast certain channels like the VM channels and maybe a small few more. Vodafone let you cast alot more so I've switched to them instead, much better tv service and with SIRO the WiFi is a lot better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is there a way you can automate your lights and tie it in with the weather report for daylight hours?

I don't want to have to be constantly adjusting routines as the days get longer and shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is there a way you can automate your lights and tie it in with the weather report for daylight hours?

I don't want to have to be constantly adjusting routines as the days get longer and shorter.

I use IFTTT with a sunset and sunrise routine. It uses Weather Underground.
    I have set various lights to turn on at sunset.
    However I find that I had to set the location to somewhere in Europe, Brussels for example, as it kicks in a little before our actual sunset here in Ireland so lights come on just before dusk happens

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Having a bit of a problem with my Lenovo Smart Clock at the moment.

The alarm on the clock will go off as it is set but it doesn't turn on my good morning routine (which should turn on the bedroom lights, tell me the weather then play the news). This was working fine til about a week ago.

I've tried turning it on and off again, removing the device from my google home app and then reinstalling it and even a factory reset but the problem seems to be persisting. Anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Having a bit of a problem with my Lenovo Smart Clock at the moment.

The alarm on the clock will go off as it is set but it doesn't turn on my good morning routine (which should turn on the bedroom lights, tell me the weather then play the news). This was working fine til about a week ago.

I've tried turning it on and off again, removing the device from my google home app and then reinstalling it and even a factory reset but the problem seems to be persisting. Anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Not finding the clock great myself. Doesn't respond the voice commands alot of the time.

Can any of you guys still get Classic FM? I get "not available in your country".

• Advertisement

Can any of you guys still get Classic FM? I get "not available in your country".

If it's owned by Global in the UK which I think it is, they've blocked it outside the UK (for all their stations).

Yeah it seems to work on the Echo Dot I have which uses global player. Bloody annoying....

Yeah it seems to work on the Echo Dot I have which uses global player. Bloody annoying....

Yep global player is ok so I can listen on my phone but gone from tune in - pain in the hole.

Dammit same thing with Capital FM....lucky I have an Echo Dot. Would prefer to hear it on my better sounding Google Home speaker though. Is there any sign of Google hooking up with Global?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I have a few Google Home mini's set up now. I used to use "Broadcast" to talk from one to the other, but now I want to just talk to one of them, not all of them. Is there a command to do that, I can't find any from my searches. Amazon does it in a friends house, there must be a Google equivalent??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sesame wrote: »
    I have a few Google Home mini's set up now. I used to use "Broadcast" to talk from one to the other, but now I want to just talk to one of them, not all of them. Is there a command to do that, I can't find any from my searches. Amazon does it in a friends house, there must be a Google equivalent??

No not that I'm aware of. I think its an often requested one though.
    They have implemented duo calling. Which allows you to do duo calls to devices in your home.
    But I think the call has to be started on a hub or through the home\duo app on your phone so the duo call can be sent to a mini but not started from one.

Here is the google page on duo calling https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9165631

The part on in home calling is down near the bottom of that link and like i said it has to be started from a phone or hub device.

We use broadcast from both a hub and a hub max and it can be heard on minis in the bedroom but as above believe it has to originate from a hub or hub max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It seems like the feature is coming: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/02/27/you-can-now-broadcast-messages-to-a-single-google-or-nest-home/

Doesn't work for me though, and my language is set to US English.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Apologies if already asked. Ordered and recieved my Google nest mini today. Been messing around with setting it up n that, but, when I try to play quizzes it tells me they are not available in my country.

Should I be asking in a specific way or phrase or what should I be doing? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Notmything wrote: »
    Apologies if already asked. Ordered and recieved my Google nest mini today. Been messing around with setting it up n that, but, when I try to play quizzes it tells me they are not available in my country.

Should I be asking in a specific way or phrase or what should I be doing? Cheers

To get the most features and integrations set it to USA or UK. You'll have to put up with the voice though

Advertisement