Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Drone laws being introduced.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks Chris a good breakdown, I have 3rd party liability, I'm not sure if it covers drones, I doubt it but I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

€850 - Ground School Course and Examination + IAA flight Assessment
    €148 - IAA fee for PCC certification
    €148 - IAA fee for SOP certification
    €360 - Third party liability + hull(drone) insurance

Total: €1506

Insurance every 12 months

IAA fees are every 24 months
    The refresher course plus flight test is also every 24 months (much cheaper than initial tests)

You need to have third party liability insurance in place before you can complete a flight exam and submit the IAA documents.

Now this is based on my personnel experience so the final numbers (especially the insurance quote) might differ slightly.

Hope that helps.

holy Molly ...1.5k... its making no sense for 'recreational' use at all
    guess it should be max 300 for course plus IAA cert and made mandatory for all drones over 0.25kg as it would make 'droning' safer for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

holy Molly ...1.5k... its making no sense for 'recreational' use at all
    guess it should be max 300 for course plus IAA cert and made mandatory for all drones over 0.25kg as it would make 'droning' safer for everyone
    Correct, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do it if only for recreational use.

In Canada, anyone who wants to fly a drone 250g+ has to take an online exam for only $10
    Although they suggest you take a course to pass, they start about $160 depending on where you go from what I can see.

More importantly because it will affect all of us, there are new EU wide regulations coming April 2020 and in full effect by April 2021 which will supersede most current Irish laws on drone safety.

I haven't to reed them in depth fully yet as its another 14 months until they are mandatory, but we could see something similar to the Canadian situation.

Correct, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do it if only for recreational use.

In Canada, anyone who wants to fly a drone 250g+ has to take an online exam for only $10
    Although they suggest you take a course to pass, they start about $160 depending on where you go from what I can see.

More importantly because it will affect all of us, there are new EU wide regulations coming April 2020 and in full effect by April 2021 which will supersede most current Irish laws on drone safety.

I haven't to reed them in depth fully yet as its another 14 months until they are mandatory, but we could see something similar to the Canadian situation.

..I'd happily pay $160 to get certified :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

If this is the wrong thread apologies, I'll delete it.

Just wondering what the law is on flying a drone, one of our neighbours in a rural village has a couple of drones and often flies them over our property. Came home from training the other night and it was above us. Most worrying is that our 12 Yr old daughter said she was in her room upstairs on sat and when she looked out the window she could see the drone at her eye level about 10m from the window.

This guy is very difficult to reason with so I'd just like to know what his and our rights are. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just wondering what the law is on flying a drone, one of our neighbours in a rural village has a couple of drones and often flies them over our property. Came home from training the other night and it was above us. Most worrying is that our 12 Yr old daughter said she was in her room upstairs on sat and when she looked out the window she could see the drone at her eye level about 10m from the window.

This guy is very difficult to reason with so I'd just like to know what his and our rights are. Thank you.
    Assuming he's not a certified operator (and I hope he isnt) what might be most relevant to your situation is it's illegal for him to fly closer than 30m meters of a property he doesn't own or control, or people not under his control.

Feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Eye level at your daughters window, that's a paddling.

I'd call guards, as its a breach of privacy, in mean time I'd borrow some air gun and wait for a drone to fly over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Thank you for your replies. I'm sure he'll be flying it this weekend so I'm going to record it if it's over our property and then go to the guards. He has videos on fb with our property on them so I'll use that also. Thank you.

Advertisement