Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defunct Bands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TBH when you listen back, most the Irish indie acts from 80/90s that the likes of Hot Press and 2FM endlessly hyped were bland, generic crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Bambi wrote: »
    TBH when you listen back, most the Irish indie acts from 80/90s that the likes of Hot Press and 2FM endlessly hyped were bland, generic crap.

Will say there was almost a frenzy among record companies to find the next U2 in the late 80's. This resulted in a lot of samey sounding Dublin guitar bands being signed and disappearing after one album or a few singles. Cactus World News being a prime example, they were hyped bigtime despite being ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

deemy wrote: »
    Any1 remember marksman ( i think that was their name). I Had the tape. remember at the time I thought it was great but can't for the life of me think of any of their stuff now. I think they were from the north?? think the album was called 33 revolutions per second it had a red cover.

They were English, Manc or Liverpool if I remember correctly. Did political hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

We used to go and see:

The Memories
    Spyder Simpson
    Royal Flush
    Big Generator
    The Blades
    Rob Strong
    Davey Spillane

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

We used to go and see:

The Memories
    Spyder Simpson
    Royal Flush
    Big Generator
    The Blades
    Rob Strong

They're still doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I put this together last year. Three parts - Mixcloud links on the page.

The Last Bus Home: Irish Rock 1979 - 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

vektarman wrote: »
    Anyone remember Tokyo Olympics, I have an album by them called 'Radio' somewhere in the attic, also can anyone remember what they were previously called?

On the subject of the band Subterrainians, didn't they play in the Underground club in Dame Street in Dublin?
    Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    D.C Nien ?
    Iggy Pop wrote: »
    Used to go see DC Nein in Toners back in the day. How about the the Atrix and the Radiators?

Gigs in the Dandelion parking lot on weekends, 2 bands for 50p.

Brilliant.

Two members, Joey Cashman and Paul McGuinness(not that one), Moved to London after that. Joey worked with the Pogues for years as tour manager and PA for Shane. He went on to manage Shane MacGowan and the Popes after that. Paul played guitar with the Popes for a few years until he was hit by a car and suffered a brain injury. He made a good recovery and still plays an odd gig in London. Last I heard Joey was living in howth.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    And Steve Wickham's success with the Waterboys is astronomical. He is the Jimi Hendrix of the fiddle. A very down to earth fella too...

Steve is a legend. When not touring with the Waterboys he has another band called No Crows. They play in Shoot the Crows in Sligo every Wednesday night.

Speaking of defunct bands, the bassist in that video, Eddie Lee, was a member of Those Nervous Animals and played bass on "My Friend John".
    Lpfsox wrote: »
    6 pages and nobody's mentioned Toasted Heretic yet - they were brilliant, back in the day.

Singer Julian Gough is writing novels these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'd totally forgotten about this band till coming across the BUS label on Discogs just today. I remember seeing them performing this song on some RTE music show, most likely Anything Goes. Seemed to just release the one single, catchy number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Hot Press defo hype bands they know over any actual decent music. While the A&R crowd were desperate for a next U2, Hotpress did hype a lot of crap and still were last time I looked at it.
    There were some decent bands never 'made it'.
    Actually the Cranberries only made it from getting out of the country.

Lir were very good.

Tension were a band I caught live a couple of times circa 95. Kind of reminiscent of Therapy.

• Advertisement

Who remembers No Sweat?

They had a black Terrence Trent Darby lookalike guitarist. He was from somewhere in the Caribbean. Were briefly massive after that Heart And Soul single. They had a fan club and all, I remember this girl who ran it appearing on Scratch Saturday with them. Of course they didn't manage to replicate H&S's success and before long no more was heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Joe Elliot wrote that and I think he managed them.
    I saw the TTD lad from No Sweat working behind a bar, not long after H and S came out. He was trying to form his own band I recall.

My Little Fun house were tipped to be the next huge band for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Prayer Boat

What a band (or man Emmet Tinley is) they were. Released the masterpiece Polichinelle in 1999 and I was very lucky to get to see him perform the album in Whelans in October 2009 (same night Ireland were drawing 0-0 with Montenegro; a month out from the infamous * spits * Stade de France match).

Anyway, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9g-foEWNQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

They had a black Terrence Trent Darby lookalike guitarist. He was from somewhere in the Caribbean. Were briefly massive after that Heart And Soul single. They had a fan club and all, I remember this girl who ran it appearing on Scratch Saturday with them. Of course they didn't manage to replicate H&S's success and before long no more was heard of them.

Tearing Down The Walls was a brilliant song though

There was this band that I remember just seeing once performing a song on RTE circa 88/89. The singer had curly hair, Waterboys type image. The guitarist had this odd gimmic where he was lying on his back on the floor pretending to be asleep while playing. Sort of indie acoutistic. Curious to know who they were.

Sorry if either of these have been mentioned already but does anyone remember:

Cactus World News (80s)
    Shaine (90s)

The second band I mentioned had a song which I really liked called "Dreamtown" but I think that was their only song

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Glyder (saw them support Metallica and I think Slash too)
    The Thrills
    The Revs
    Paddy Casey
    Simon Casey
    Scuba Dice

Sorry if either of these have been mentioned already but does anyone remember:

Cactus World News (80s)
    Shaine (90s)

The second band I mentioned had a song which I really liked called "Dreamtown" but I think that was their only song

I loved Dreamtown! I bought the single on cassette and also loved the B Side "Like an Ocean". I remember they came to Ennis to do a gig in 1991 and I cursed being too young to go to see them.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I loved Dreamtown! I bought the single on cassette and also loved the B Side "Like an Ocean". I remember they came to Ennis to do a gig in 1991 and I cursed being too young to go to see them.

I remember them from when I was in first year in secondary school,that song got a lot of airplay and was often featured on The Beat Box.I used to think that song was about drugs or some kind of addiction.Do you still have that tape? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

I remember them from when I was in first year in secondary school,that song got a lot of airplay and was often featured on The Beat Box.I used to think that song was about drugs or some kind of addiction.Do you still have that tape? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Yes I do! Still working perfectly,think it's in a box in my attic with the others. Dreamtown's on youtube.:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Q27JovP-s

• Advertisement

Del Amtri

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Del Amtri

Still touring in Scotland / England as recently as 2018 AFAIK. :)
    Great band!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There was this band that I remember just seeing once performing a song on RTE circa 88/89. The singer had curly hair, Waterboys type image. The guitarist had this odd gimmic where he was lying on his back on the floor pretending to be asleep while playing. Sort of indie acoutistic. Curious to know who they were.

Any chance it was Toasted Heretic or A House?

Any chance it was Toasted Heretic or A House?

No, certain it was neither of them. Whoever this band were I don't recall seeing them again. The lead singer had bushy curly hair which looked kind of retro for the period. They had a very "laid back" vibe. The song they did was very slow tempo.

What ever happened to Tracy Chapman ???

Still hear her tunes the odd time

Always thought she was a guy :D:D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What ever happened to Tracy Chapman ???

Still hear her tunes the odd time

Always thought she was a guy :D:D

Always annoyed me that Fast Car was never on 1980s compilations - then and now.

Always annoyed me that Fast Car was never on 1980s compilations - then and now.

yeah its a brilliant song as well as Talkin about a Revolution

For some reason there almost always on jukeboxes in kind of rough pubs

Something Happens
    Picturehouse

Blasts from the past

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yes I do! Still working perfectly,think it's in a box in my attic with the others. Dreamtown's on youtube.:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Q27JovP-s

Excellent

Advertisement