Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chess club in Westmeath/Midlands area

Options
  • 22-12-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello there, I cannot seem to find any sort of chess clubs in Athlone/Moate/Tullamore area. The two closest clubs are in Drumlish in Longford and one in Mullingar. Surely there have to be more than that? For such a huge area. Anyway thought I'd ask as I've only recently moved to the area and I am looking for a club. Perhaps there are some casual get togethers in a library or gaa club that may not be advertised online? Please ask around and let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ballinasloe?

They play home league games in Athlone IT, so might be suitable. They've a facebook page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

cdeb wrote: »
    Ballinasloe?

They play home league games in Athlone IT, so might be suitable. They've a facebook page here.

Ballinasloe is a bit of a trek but Athlone is grand. Is there any club in Athlone itself that plays casually during the week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Drop them a line and see I guess. As I say, the club's called Ballinasloe but they play in Athlone and maybe meet there too; I'm not sure. Their Facebook suggests they meet on Wednesdays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Hello there, I cannot seem to find any sort of chess clubs in Athlone/Moate/Tullamore area. The two closest clubs are in Drumlish in Longford and one in Mullingar. Surely there have to be more than that? For such a huge area. Anyway thought I'd ask as I've only recently moved to the area and I am looking for a club. Perhaps there are some casual get togethers in a library or gaa club that may not be advertised online? Please ask around and let me know.
    I think there is one in Tullamore library, I'd love if there was a junior club I could bring my kids to

Advertisement