Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

Its carrying on the tradition of the late Storm Thorgersons covers,maybe it was his studio that did it!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/the-endless-river-pink-floyd-unveil-cover-art-for-their-first-new-album-in-20-years-9749012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its a dodgy looking cover, that's for sure. Like some new age Christian album or something. It doesn't have the style or the artistry of a Hipgnosis / Thorgerson cover at all, maybe if it was a painting rather than some obviously-photoshopped picture, it would've been better. Anyway it might grow on me.

With an ambient album they missed the boat (if you pardon my pun) on designing a nice ambient cover; I was expecting something more like Obscured By Clouds, but there you go.

The clip on the site isn't exactly madly exciting, but for a double album of instrumentals, I really hope its not a double album of guitar solos. Some proper "ambient" music and keyboard stuff would be welcome. At least, in between all the guitar solos. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Looks a bit dodgy agreed there. Gilmour critcicsed the Final Cut (totally wrongly IMO) as being full of songs that weren't good enough to get on The Wall.

Now looks like he's doing the same for the Division Bell....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Really looking forward to this. A few live gigs wouldnt go astray either ;)

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. A few live gigs wouldnt go astray either ;)

Nah that's not gonna happen. Would be good, but no. If Gilmour does another album he'd probably do some tracks from it, but I very much doubt he'd go out as "Pink Floyd" with just Mason and the session guys.

Even if Waters was involved (which he won't be), the fact that Wright isn't there would most likely prevent it from being a Pink Floyd show.

Be interesting to see how this album will be received... TDB wasn't widely praised but a lot of time has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Can't say I've "High Hopes" for the new album at all ... and that album cover is fairly bloody awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Cover would look more at home in a Bollywood movie

Chelon wrote: »
    Cover would look more at home in a Bollywood movie

Ha!! Yeah its pretty bad. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some interesting reading in this months UnCut.. tbh really looking forward to hearing this after reading it.

u209-floyd-cover-lr.jpg

^ I'll be buying that.

• Advertisement

New 30 second clip sounds pretty cool. Really looking forward to this!

^ sounds a bit like Run Like Hell. Hmmm.

I imagine there will be a few bits and pieces that sound like something we have heard before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Going on the three audio clips released so far, it sounds exactly how I imagined it would. Nothing particularly new there at all, it won't get them any new fans. The folks who disliked the Division Bell will most likely not get into it at all. Nevertheless, its good to have Floyd back again, even if it is just for studio projects.

The album cover is pretty bad though. Nothing compared to the classics that came before it.

Radio Nova have just played the new single "Louder Than Words" from the Endless River.
    I expect it to be played a few more times today and Pat Courtney will most likely be giving it a review.

No way! What was it like?

I will reserve full judgement for the moment because I was driving along the motorway and I wasn't able to pull over to have a good listen to it.
    First impressions are that its like something from "On an Island"
    Its the only vocal track from the new album and its the closing track. Sounded a bit lackluster for being the closing track, but that might be unfair without hearing the rest of the album to put it in context.

Interesting interview with Dave and Nick here from the BBC website:

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/80265

Its interesting to hear Dave talk about his feelings regarding Roger Waters, especially.

Just had a second listen to Louder Than Words.
    Yep, enjoyed it more this time, can't wait for the Album now.

K.Flyer wrote: »

Great way to end their career, I think. Give me any excuse to listen to David Gilmour play guitar and I will take it!

• Advertisement

RTE website running an article and an interview.

RTE Endless River Article

Yeah saw that. Scary how Gilmour's voice is more or less the same as ever. Starting to look his age though!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah saw that. Scary how Gilmour's voice is more or less the same as ever. Starting to look his age though!

If he didn't, that would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

K.Flyer wrote: »

Not going near it, until I get me hands on lovely shiny 180g vinyl, amp valves warmed up for an hour, house to meself, a nice bottle of Rioja, lights down low, comfy chair, curtains drawn, phone off...

I'll report in after that.

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Not going near it, until I get me hands on lovely shiny 180g vinyl, amp valves warmed up for an hour, house to meself, a nice bottle of Rioja, lights down low, comfy chair, curtains drawn, phone off...

I'll report in after that.

:D

Now that sounds like a plan!

Nick Mason has compared Roger Waters’ departure from Pink Floyd  to the death of Joseph Stalin.

http://m.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1026/655009-mason-compares-waters-departure-to-stalins-death/

Just a week to go or Friday in Ireland, for the new album! Looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Just a week to go or Friday in Ireland, for the new album! Looking forward to it!

I pre-ordered the vinyl on amazon. Cannot wait for this.

Picking up the deluxe cd version this morning in HMV but won't get a proper listen until this evening, bloody work!

• Advertisement

I'm gonna buy it at lunch time and listen this afternoon.

What are the options, regular CD and delux CD? If there's no extra music on the delux then I reckon I'd just go for the regular CD. Nice packaging or no, CDs these days end up in a pile on a shelf once they're put on the iPod!

Advertisement