Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish laws on Archery,

• 19-06-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I recently got a bow of a friend for free last weekend and before i get any arrows and learning to use it I am curious to know.

1.what is the law on using a bow and arrow?
    2.As it is potentially a dangerous weapon i don’t fancy getting in to trouble so i am wondering what is the law if any about carrying and using a bow and arrow.
    3.Can a bow and arrow be only used by a licensed person or location like an archery club?
    4.Can i just setup a target and start shooting in my back garden without having to worry about neighbours and police?
    5.Can i go to large public (empty) field and shoot without fear of the law?

Any information or help on this would be greatfully appreciated.
    Cheers
    Danny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi Danny, welcome to the sport.

As long as its a bow (and its poundage is below 60lbs - which I assume it is as otherwise your arm would be torn to bits) and not a crossbow then you're essentially fine. I would recommend finding a local club (we can help you with this) to learn it correctly though.

To answer your questions directly:

1. You're fine as long as you don't aim or fire in the direction of anyone, or anywhere there may be a person.

2. Don't carry it braced (string attached). De-string it and carry it in a bag with the arrows in a case (a map tube is what we usually use) and no worries. As far as I know its not illegal to carry it unbraced in anyway, but better to bag it for an easier life.

3. Zero licencing requirements.

4. Most of us do. Be sure that if you miss the target that the stray arrow cannot potentially harm anyone. A wall behind the target is best (not for the arrow, but for safety). Also, be careful of a "passthrough", this is when the arrow hits the target but travels through it and out the other side. Same precautions as above.

5. Wouldn't advise it. Archery attracts attention. Ya never know where a complaint will come from. An alternative is private land with permission from the land owner.

Again, going to a club is the best place to learn the sport and the tips. All clubs cater for both the hobbiest and the competitive archer, so you would be welcome to take part at any level.

Enjoy the sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you were to go by the letter of the law, a bow is classed as a firearm and would therefore need a licence. In practice the Gardai don't seem to interpret it this way and its not possible to get a licence for a bow in any case.

This could easily change if idiots start messing with bows and injuring people.

In general you don't want to draw attention to yourself or the sport. Definitely no shooing in a public place and if you are transporting the bow from one place to another keep it covered up. Shooting on your own property should be OK if you take precautions. I'd be inclined to use as big a backstop possible. eg the gable end of a house rather than a boundary wall. Archers shooting with clubs are insured, you're not so if an arrow injures somone, expect to be sued.

I've heard that a target can be made by making tightly packed carboard bales and shooting between the layers of cardboard. Going to try that myself by using ratchet straps to compress the cardboard and then tie with rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Thanks for the detailed response's. It clears a lot a up.
    Yes its a less than 60 its a 40lb draw.
    Have to try find a club to go to find out more about it.
    will have to get myself some safety equipment like an arm guard and such, found out the hard way why they exists lol (Brusied forearm)

At the moment i dont have much choice but to transport it braced due to lack of knowledge and equipment to destring it.

Will have to get in touch with leixlip archers about an introduction to the sport as i work in that area.
    Dont know of any clubs close to athy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

40 lbs is too heavy to start with. What type of bow is it? Is it a one piece or take-down?
    At that poundage, I suspect it's a hunting bow.

Bows are designed to suit the requirements demanded of them.

Hunting bows tend to be short (58" to 64") and heavy (40# to 60#), designed to fit in concealment and deliver 'pass-throughs' to kill quick. They are too heavy for shooting a lot of arrows as would be needed at a tournement.

Target bows are longer (64" to 70") and while their limbs can exceed 40#, that weight would only be used by those with a lot of experience.

As an example, I'm shooting a bow with 33.6# on my fingers. I started with a beginners course 18 months ago. There we used 18# to 24# bows. My first bow was a Prostyle with 28# limbs.
    I then got an ILF riser with 30# limbs. This is adjusted to give me the weight on my fingers. Only now have I ordered 34# limbs and it will take a while to acclimatise to them.

You will not be able to learn the proper technique/form which is essential if you wish to eventually be able to cope properly with that weight. A cheap training bow (KAP Prostyle or Samick Pokaris) with 20-30# limbs would be a better starting point; these come with cheaper limbs also. It's conventional to build up poundage in jumps of 2# -which is the difference between sets of limbs.

Next up from the training bows are the 'proper' bows, in different grades- entry level, intermediate level and world class. And different prices. These all have interchangeable ILF limbs, meaning limbs of different manufacturers and be put on risers from a different manufacturer. The limbs and risers are of better quality and more adaptable to the individual archer.

NB: Arrows need to chosen with your draw length and the bows poundage in mind!

In short you need to join a club in the worst possible way.........you may not even know what it is you don't know. (Meant in the nicest way possible, we all started the same.)

As that seems to be your plan, stick to it. You'll get advice on what to do so you can eventually master that bow. If you don't, it will forever master you and the experience will not be satisfying.

Archery is all about form and you learn that better when you can master the bow. Pulling heavier weights is the easy part, it just takes practice- it's the form that is hard to achieve.

Sorry for preaching. I hope this helps.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

PS: This document should be a help to you.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Great post greyside :)

Certainly gives a bit to think about.

you were not preaching. the post was very informative and the advice you gave will be taken on board.

Its information like this we (beginners) need.
    Thanks for the link. :)

Thanks all.
    Danny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If you were to go by the letter of the law, a bow is classed as a firearm and would therefore need a licence. .
    That very point was argued out in Parliamentary Question in the Dail.

The up shot of it was that its not a firearm but it is an 'arm'
    They other thing that sets it aside from a firearm is that it cannot be carried loaded and simply discharged like a reg gun or crossbow is.
    Another point was that Minster Stag wanted them licenced as firearms but his argument was thrown out on the simple fact that people can't easily hide a bow under their jumper and even if they could it still takes tones of training to be competent with such a device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BikingChick

Hi Danny, hope you find a club and get a lot out of the sport! I'm pretty new to it myself & Panserborn and Greysides have given a lot of good advice - will be checking out that link myself!

Just a point as hunting bows were mentioned, although you probably already know... bow hunting is illegal in Ireland & the UK. Some clubs do Target Archery (indoors or outdoors), and others do Field Archery. One of the clubs I know does the field version & shoot at 3D foam targets in the woods. More of a challenge outdoors as you have to factor in wind never mind other things!

Thanks for all teh comments advice and tips,
    Finally got some details about a local club And im off to it tonight for the first time.
    Hopefully archery is all that i expect it to be.

need to get me a proper target setup at home for practice but Boss's and arrow catching nets are a bit expensive for a new comer lol.

Cheers
    Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As regards bosses for the garden at home, google for ideas on home made targets
    eg
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5444073_make-homemade-archery-target.html

As I said earlier I am thinking of a making a target like No.2 in that link by taking sheets of cardboard or flat cardboard boxes and compressing them into bales.

You might also be able to make a cheap backstop net subsitute. Eg old carpet hanging from a frame with bottom of the carpet free to move - might work.

• Advertisement

Well first training session has come and gone.
    started a training course with GreenHills archery club and i have to say they are good bunch of people with plenty of time to answer any and all questions that i had,
    They even offered to look at the bow i had to check it to make sure it was usable and safe.
    Really enjoyed learning about archery and shooting in a safe and proper manner at proper targets.

Looking forward to next weeks session. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Glad you enjoyed the intro, it just gets better as you grow in the sport.

With regards to target bosses, making them is good - we all have our history with them. However, if your bow is a 40lbs draw (that is quite heavy if it is a recurve) then I'd reckon you are better to buy a foam superbutt. These butts are designed for high power bows like heavy recurves and compounds. They won't damage the arrows and will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Hi All

The link to the PDF. above, by greysides, isn't active anymore.
    Would anyone have a copy or updated link ?

thanks
    Diesel

I think this was the PDF referred to:

http://www.archersreference.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/archref_05.pdf

Let me know if you can't find it, as I can email it to you. If you want to search for it, Google 'Archers Reference'.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

greysides wrote: »
    I think this was the PDF referred to:

http://www.archersreference.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/archref_05.pdf

Let me know if you can't find it, as I can email it to you. If you want to search for it, Google 'Archers Reference'.

Great reference greysides, anything like that particular to compound bows?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Thanks Greysides,

Link works perfectly, and great information too.

Thanks again
    Diesel

rizzodun wrote: »
    Great reference greysides, anything like that particular to compound bows?

Don't know of any.

Except the 'Stringwalkers Triology' and that's kinda specific.;)

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tmg

for compounds, try this - http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1399457

cheers

t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

tmg, I cant thank you enough, had some reference guides already but this looks pretty comprehensive, nice one!

Advertisement