Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Long Lost EIGHTIES Irish Pop Thread

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

gammygils wrote: »
    Microdisney - Birthday Girl (1985) Loved this at the time. Still do

A class act. Their reunion/farewell gigs in 2018/19 were both superb. Cathal Coughlan one of the great Irish voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Truthvader wrote: »
    Great thread. Just found it now. And Princess Bride is one of my top films.

Still know nearly all the guys in the Dublin bands here plus so many more who never got noticed.

Harvest Ministers. - Will Merriman could have been Van Morrison - certainly contrary enough.

Revenants. Horse of a different colour. Great album from Stars of Heavan Refugees. Some of it is on youtube though not "Speak Slowly" one of the best songs ever written. If you ever break up with someone you love; play it

"Jump Iceland" anyone there?

Would bes ????

Housebroken?? Great band before Robert Arkins got sucked into Hollywood

Good times, Baggot Inn, Sportsmans Inn, Underground

I was in the Underground only once,(country lad) to see the Would Be's..
    Frank from The Slowest Clock arrived...in good form...ha !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

vriesmays wrote: »

Just thought of their song Closer..
    Brilliant, and a savage bass line.
    1986 ish ....

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Great 1987 single from Prince's protogées. Got plenty of airplay but nobody bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Great 1987 single from Prince's protogées. Got plenty of airplay but nobody bought it.

Long lost "Irish" Pop thread............

Don't remember the girls from the Baggot back in the day but think I borrowed bus fare from their sister Dierdre

• Advertisement

I was wondering where that post got to. No point in deleting it now I suppose.

I was wondering where that post got to. No point in deleting it now I suppose.

All good clean fun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

And sure, wasn't their great great grandfather one of the Ryans from down the road*, so Irish blood after all!

*or up the road, I keep forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jacool

And sure, wasn't their great great grandfather one of the Ryans from down the road*, so Irish blood after all!

*or up the road, I keep forgetting.
    Up the road, but it never stopped him getting down.
    And the rest is genetics.

Well sure, Ireland is full of Colemans, and those Melvoins get everywhere you know.

Anyway, this lady and her gang defintely warrant a mention.

• Advertisement

Well sure, Ireland is full of Colemans, and those Melvoins get everywhere you know.

Anyway, this lady and her gang defintely warrant a mention.

Ah the lovely Aingeala

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Just posted a new thread for the 2010s Irish songs, but a moderator closed the thread and said there were other threads for it.

Great song from the "39 Minutes" album, wonder what the subject Boy George makes of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My favourite Microdisney album

From 1984 I think, some contemporary U2 influences in the guitar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

Can’t believe no one has mentioned these guys. Derek Herbert was lead singer and Ronan O’Hanlon on lead guitar couldn’t agree on who was in charge so they fizzled out. Can’t do links but “les enfants dreaming of you” has them on The Tube back in 1985

VanHalen wrote: »
    Can’t believe no one has mentioned these guys. Derek Herbert was lead singer and Ronan O’Hanlon on lead guitar couldn’t agree on who was in charge so they fizzled out. Can’t do links but “les enfants dreaming of you” has them on The Tube back in 1985

Another Irish band with zero presence on Spotify. There are so many others. Not sure if it's necessarily down to the Big Bad Record Labels either.

I bought Slipaway on 7" back in 1985. Nice tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Truthvader wrote: »

Revenants. Horse of a different colour. Great album from Stars of Heavan Refugees. Some of it is on youtube though not "Speak Slowly" one of the best songs ever written. If you ever break up with someone you love; play it

Yep, Speak Slowly is an absolute gem, just learned it on guitar :). For me Stephen Ryan’s crowning glory is on the second Revenants album, with Scott Millar Said. A thing of wonderous beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

There was a really good compilation album called the a z of Irish rock, from solid records ... Had a ton of classics on it , and a lot from the 80s. Really, a lot of variety, creativity and dare I say melody on here ..

https://www.irishrock.org/comps/atoz.html

Will paste in a track listing when I get back to a desktop.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    There was a really good compilation album called the a z of Irish rock, from solid records ... Had a ton of classics on it , and a lot from the 80s. Really, a lot of variety, creativity and dare I say melody on here ..

In 2020, I wrote a long review of The A To Z Of Irish Rock. The only place to find the superior single version of the Hothouse Flowers' Love Don't Work This Way on CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have a cassette version of that very album!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Good stuff. The Would Bes - theres a blast from the past! I wonder why Horslips arent included in that compilation, though. Seems an omission to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

In 2020, I wrote a long review of The A To Z Of Irish Rock. The only place to find the superior single version of the Hothouse Flowers' Love Don't Work This Way on CD.

Wow - nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Executioner511

OK not strictly 80s 1990 however probably recorded or written in the 80s ,Swim a band from Crumlin who should have been a lot bigger so many Irish bands crashed and burned in the 80s and 90s but left a lot of great music behind.
    https://youtu.be/dZOMyVtAB3M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have a cassette version of that very album!

Further to the discussion on The A to Z of Irish Rock, I was confusing it with another Solid Records compilation called Solid Citizens from the 1980s! I have the A to Z etc. on CD. It's Solid Citizens that I have on cassette. Here it is:

Solid Citizens (Compilation)
    Various – Solid Citizens
    Label: Solid Records (4) – ROCC 1
    Format: Cassette, Compilation
    Released:1988
    Genre:Rock Style- Alternative Rock, Indie Rock
    Tracklist
    A1 Aslan– Loving Me Lately
    A2 Blue In Heaven– When Will You Be Mine
    A3 Missing Link – Home
    A4 The Stunning– Half-Past Two
    A5 Rex And Dino– Someone To Love
    A6 Burning Embers– Sweet Young Lady
    A7 Ghost Of An American Airman– She's The One
    B1 Killer Watt– Pretty Vacant
    B2 Predator – Missing In Action
    B3 Blue In Heaven– Nothing Left In Life
    B4 Aidan Walsh– Rock My Brainy Head
    B5 Cypress Mine– Sugar Beet God
    B6 The Stunning– Got To Get Away
    B7 Missing Link – Shake It Up
    B8 Guernica– Deep Sea Diving

Solid Citizens is a great compilation & snapshot of the time - PAY NO MORE THAN £5.99

Would have been great if it got a CD release as I have a good few of the tracks on vinyl.

I like this one, especially with its nod to Waterloo Sunset.

"Love Like A Rocket", unfortunately for Bob it didn't propel him too far up the charts though.

Advertisement