Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running power to a steel shed

• 01-07-2020 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I know these queries are ten a penny, or were, I did a search and found a lot of them were years old.

Recently had a steel shed put in. There's 5 or 6 metres between the house and the shed. I'm looking to put in a couple of sockets and a fluorescent light on the ceiling. Nothing fancy. I don't plan on running anything massively heavy on the sockets either.

What sort of ballpark price would people think for this sort of thing? I appreciate I'd need a REC to come and do the work etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thejobman

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I know these queries are ten a penny, or were, I did a search and found a lot of them were years old.

Recently had a steel shed put in. There's 5 or 6 metres between the house and the shed. I'm looking to put in a couple of sockets and a fluorescent light on the ceiling. Nothing fancy. I don't plan on running anything massively heavy on the sockets either.

What sort of ballpark price would people think for this sort of thing? I appreciate I'd need a REC to come and do the work etc.

depends on a lot of factors, board, house age, ducting, swa etc. ballpark 200 to 300 id say if you are supplying lights and sockets yourself. if you had a rec who was ok with you doing some of the work yourself probally 60 to 80 for connection to board, testing and cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

thejobman wrote: »
    depends on a lot of factors, board, house age, ducting, swa etc. ballpark 200 to 300 id say if you are supplying lights and sockets yourself. if you had a rec who was ok with you doing some of the work yourself probally 60 to 80 for connection to board, testing and cert

I would have thought might be closer to €500

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

Give or take 1200-1500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Wow, quotes varying wildly there. From €200 up to €1200! I'm hoping it'll be on the lower end of that, obviously. House was built in 06, modern board located in kitchen (small enough house) so it's quite close to where you'd want it for easy connection out to the shed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

thejobman wrote: »

For the love of God do not buy the materials yourself.

When I was doing this sort of work people insisted on buying over priced low quality materials that took longer to install from places like Woodies. This only serves to cost the customer more, frustrate the electrician and deliver an inferior quality install. I remember being provided with horrendous motion detector floodlights that constantly flashed on and off all day and all night. I told the customer that he would be disappointed if I installed them but he insisted. I had to charge him to replace them with proper lights within a week.

The price will depend on the time and materials. I would expect it to take a day so €350 to €400 labor and around €250 to €300 in materials. This would include a small board in the shed, a bit of bonding and a cert.

Fluorescent lights went out with the Indians, LED is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

2011 wrote: »

When I was doing this sort of work people insisted on buying over priced low quality materials that took longer to install from places like Woodies. This only serves to cost the customer more, frustrate the electrician and deliver an inferior quality install. I remember being provided with horrendous motion detector floodlights that constantly flashed on and off all day and all night. I told the customer that he would be disappointed if I installed them but he insisted. I had to charge him to replace them with proper lights within a week.

The price will depend on the time and materials. I would expect it to take a day so €350 to €400 labor and around €250 to €300 in materials. This would include a small board in the shed, a bit of bonding and a cert.

Yep, LED is what I should have said really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

2011 wrote: »

To be fair there are many a cowboy spark who would gladly install cheap gear aswell.

As you know the key is to find a good trustworthy electrician and let him look after everything. Unfortunately some people dont think that way and they only know how to spend the least amount of money as they can no matter what advice they are given. It usually ends up in some other unfortunate sparkies hands and he has to rectify the issues. I guess getting well paid lessens the grief.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair there are many a cowboy spark who would gladly install cheap gear aswell.

Yes but in the event of an issue what do you think happens?
    If all materials and labor are by the electrician then he must stand over the work regardless. If the materials supplied by the customer have an issue you can’t reasonably expect the electrician to replace the faulty part free of charge.

In summary supply some or all of the materials gets messy, avoid.

Advertisement