Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone else lost the run of themselves during Lockdown?

• 25-06-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

I was doing well pre Covid 19 - dodging fast fashion, trying to only buy investment pieces.

During lockdown however, I have been shopping (online) like a mad woman. I'm pretty sure both my postman (deliveries) and the man working the the post office (returns) both must hate me for making too much work for them - An Post do deliveries and returns for both Zara and H&M which have been absolute black holes for me.

Im trying to stop, I just have one delivery I'm waiting for from H&M and after that I've no more outstanding orders. I've 2 packages that I need to return (returned 3 yesterday). I've had varying success with my orders, I got some nice cotton dresses and tops from H&M, but my Zara sale order was all horrible.

Am I the only one who has seemingly lost their mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I am the opposite, as did not buy anything clothes-wise.
    Went through my wardrobe to check everything I had, tried things together to see if any new combination "worked".
    Got rid of what did not work for me anymore.

Since the shops re-opened, I bought: underwear, lounge wear and a new pair of shoes.
    Still working from home, and don't have any weddings to attend this Summer, so don't need much really, only to eventually replace what wears out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'm a disaster when I see a sale or code.:eek:

I've ordered a lot of stuff but have sent a lot back. I've definitely calmed down since the start of lockdown - looking forward to spending money on experiences rather than clothes now.

My lockdown wardrobe has been so practical so I'm wearing the same few things everyday - I like having a nice top/dress waiting for the next event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

ams wrote: »
    I'm a disaster when I see a sale or code.:eek:

I think this has been a big part of my problem. ASOS for example have had a lot of sales and 20% off offers. I made 4 seperate orders from them over the past 3 weeks (each at the time of an offer of some sort) and I only kept 2 cotton summer dresses and one lipstick from the whole lot. I returned 4 dresses, and a pair of birkenstocks.

I found the Zara sale really poor in comparison to previous years, but then again previously I may have been eyeing things up in store prior to the sale so I'd a lot more familiarity with what was on offer before ordering online once the sale started. I only ordered 3 things and sent the lot back.

I'm trying not to order anything now for a few weeks. Still havent gone into the shops in person and not sure when I'll do that, not really due to reluctance or fear, I just don't need anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes and no. I work from home mostly and it's much warmer than at work. I also wear less high heels. Most of my purchases were more casual type of clothes and lighter clothes. I already wore everything I bought except a jumpsuit which works well with high heels.

Some of my purchases weren't particularly necessary but they were all things I will get loads of wear out of them. I'm sick of leggings and they were relegated only for exercise and housework, wearing casual or smart casual clothes gives some structure to my day.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yes and no. I work from home mostly and it's much warmer than at work. I also wear less high heels. Most of my purchases were more casual type of clothes and lighter clothes. I already wore everything I bought except a jumpsuit which works well with high heels.

Some of my purchases weren't particularly necessary but they were all things I will get loads of wear out of them. I'm sick of leggings and they were relegated only for exercise and housework, wearing casual or smart casual clothes gives some structure to my day.

At least thats something, I've not bought any loungewear or exercise clothing (I have plenty already as had been a regular gym goer pre covid).

I have bought one or two fancy outfits just because I really liked them and hope to get to wear them at some point. I've been invited to 2 weddings at the end of the year which havent as yet been postponed so we'll see.

The main thing I've bought is cotton/linen summer items and I've been wearing them around and about. Wearing a lovely dress from H&M today - https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0862167004.html I guess cotton dresses are my loungewear!

I did try some other items but mostly they got sent back. I bought 2x pairs of boots from Superdry and while they were good quality, I felt one wasn't as described (colour much lighter IRL) and the others were just too big despite being the same size as the other pair. I wasnt wild on them either so opted for refund rather than exchange.

• Advertisement

Guilty :o

Plus I made a lockdown list of all the house stuff I needed wanted - new linens, pillows, cushions and ordered all that too.
    Have finally stopped now (I think). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

SozBbz wrote: »
    The main thing I've bought is cotton/linen summer items and I've been wearing them around and about. Wearing a lovely dress from H&M today - https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0862167004.html I guess cotton dresses are my loungewear!
    That's a lovely dress. I don't overly shop in H&M but they have some seriously nice things this year.

I didn't send anything back but I was mostly ordering straightforward stuff that I know it will work (I was a bit more adventurous with colours). I'm not particularly slim but my figure is fairly proportionate hourglass so if something fits my hips it will usually also fit my chest and waist. For me online shopping is actually easy enough that I don't even go around the shops anymore.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Guilty :o

Plus I made a lockdown list of all the house stuff I needed wanted - new linens, pillows, cushions and ordered all that too.
    Have finally stopped now (I think). :)

Thank goodness I didnt overly stray into homewares - both the H&M and Zara home sites seem dangerous so I'm just not looking at them! I bought a mat for the back door and some cheapo curtains for the spare room from H&M right at the start and they were both needed - we're not in this house long and there is still stuff we need but I'd rather buy it slowly. I suppose returning clothes is one thing but trying to take furniture or rugs back to the Post Office might shame me a bit too much! :pac:

Would actually love some new bed linen but I've veeery picky about stuff like that so will buy that in the real world. I like to know the touch and feel of bedsheets before committing.

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's a lovely dress. I don't overly shop in H&M but they have some seriously nice things this year.

I didn't send anything back but I was mostly ordering straightforward stuff that I know it will work (I was a bit more adventurous with colours). I'm not particularly slim but my figure is fairly proportionate hourglass so if something fits my hips it will usually also fit my chest and waist. For me online shopping is actually easy enough that I don't even go around the shops anymore.

I'd say before last year I haven't shopped in H&M since before they came to Ireland. I bought a dress from thier conscious collection last year and its seriously one of my favourite things. I then took another look and noticed how much cotton/linen stock they have, especially in summer.

I got some lovely cotton Tshirts there last year that were about €5 and are still so soft and lovely. They dry beautifully (stick them on a hangar - zero ironing) and they look great dressed up or down. Then this summer, I got some lovely cotton dresses. Very affordable and I really enjoy wearing natural fibers, I only started being fussy about fabric about 2/3 years ago and its been such a game changer.

Lucky you re online shopping! I have big boobs (and bum, but boobs are really my nemesis) and try as I might, I still sometimes have to return items because they just don't sit right on my shape. Even with brands I know well, sizing can be inconsistent and some items (shirts/blouses especially) can be hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Oh I completely lost the run of myself!
    Handbags are my thing, and I’ve bought 7 since lockdown started!

• Advertisement

Oh I completely lost the run of myself!
    Handbags are my thing, and I’ve bought 7 since lockdown started!

7!!!

Oh do tell.

I love a good handbag although I'm trying to only buy from classic brands these days so I'm trying to limit myself to one investment piece per year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was doing well pre Covid 19 - dodging fast fashion, trying to only buy investment pieces.

During lockdown however, I have been shopping (online) like a mad woman. I'm pretty sure both my postman (deliveries) and the man working the the post office (returns) both must hate me for making too much work for them - An Post do deliveries and returns for both Zara and H&M which have been absolute black holes for me.

Im trying to stop, I just have one delivery I'm waiting for from H&M and after that I've no more outstanding orders. I've 2 packages that I need to return (returned 3 yesterday). I've had varying success with my orders, I got some nice cotton dresses and tops from H&M, but my Zara sale order was all horrible.

Am I the only one who has seemingly lost their mind?

Me too! I bought far too much, but I got items that I was looking at buying for a while. The fact I was 'saving' money by not having to pay childcare, I was spending it on myself...hence not saved a penny! lol

I was also buying from H&M, New Look, Zara. I got a lot of sweatshirts, for the extra comfort at home, but nice ones that I will wear with jeans etc. I got a nice pair of Nike trainers directly from Nike.ie when they had 30% off one day and got them for €38. My husband started to go a bit mad too and ended up buying about 3 pairs of trainers for himself! The delivery guys were here a few times a week between the two of us! :D
    I didn't even buy my little boy anything online, just got him stuff in Dunnes!

7!!!

Oh do tell.

I love a good handbag although I'm trying to only buy from classic brands these days so I'm trying to limit myself to one investment piece per year.

I did say I’ve lost the run of myself, so don’t say I didn’t warn you!
    The first was a mulberry- a black mock croc amberley. I got it in the sale for €300 less than full price. I justified it by saying to myself that I’m front line and deserved it!!

Then I got 2 coach ones from the John Lewis sale. Both taupe, one a crossbody one, the otter more of a tote/work bag.

I got 3 coccinelle bags. One small tan one that tucks in under my shoulder, one cream bucket bag and one bigger cream tote. 2 of the 3 were on sale.
    And finally a Ralph Lauren bucket bag, tan colour from McElhinneys sale, half price.

Even though all bar one were on sale, I haven’t actually totted up the cost of them all! But I’m lucky, I have decent disposable income so I can afford them without putting myself in financial difficulty.
    I do like a nice bag!!!

Even though all bar one were on sale, I haven’t actually totted up the cost of them all! But I’m lucky, I have decent disposable income so I can afford them without putting myself in financial difficulty.
    I do like a nice bag!!!

Oh fantastic, love it and sure working front line deserves a treat! Also, I do that too, purposefully not add up totals even though deep down I know its a lot!

Someone else mentioned the John Lewis sale on another topic the other day - seems like it was really good although I think most of the good stuff is gone by now. Probably for the best that it wasnt on my radar when the sale started or I could have done worse damage!

Oh fantastic, love it and sure working front line deserves a treat! Also, I do that too, purposefully not add up totals even though deep down I know its a lot!

Someone else mentioned the John Lewis sale on another topic the other day - seems like it was really good although I think most of the good stuff is gone by now. Probably for the best that it wasnt on my radar when the sale started or I could have done worse damage!

I purposely kept away from the clothes section on it and just looked at the bags!
    Though I can justify any purchase really, cost per wear, I work hard enough, it’s Monday etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I promised myself that my last Asos order would be my final online purchase, while scrolling through facebook on my phone yesterday an add popped up for Mango, I clicked into it thinking ill just have a look. Im now waiting on an order of 3 jumpers and a T shirt. Im very close to blocking all adds on social media for online shops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I haven’t with clothes, purely because I’ve been quite unhappy with my weight and I probably would have had to buy things a size up right now. That was enough of an incentive not to buy, but my reward for losing a few pounds will definitely be clothes!

Instead, I got a kitten and can’t stop buying things for him instead :o.

I promised myself that my last Asos order would be my final online purchase, while scrolling through facebook on my phone yesterday an add popped up for Mango, I clicked into it thinking ill just have a look. Im now waiting on an order of 3 jumpers and a T shirt. Im very close to blocking all adds on social media for online shops.

Its a slippery slope!
    Faith wrote: »
    I haven’t with clothes, purely because I’ve been quite unhappy with my weight and I probably would have had to buy things a size up right now. That was enough of an incentive not to buy, but my reward for losing a few pounds will definitely be clothes!

Instead, I got a kitten and can’t stop buying things for him instead :o.

Aw so cute! Perhaps I should have gotten a kitten instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I bought a fair few bits during lockdown.Nothing expensive but I did spend a few 100.
    However I've lost 15 lb since and now all my nice new clothes don't fit.I guess the charity shop will be getting a few bits:P
    I'll wait a few weeks/months to see if I'm maintaining this weight though.

Thankfully I bought a few pairs of runners and they'll always fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I’ve not been great to be honest. Three occasion dresses that were well over the 200 euro mark. An Olivia Rubin skirt on discount that turned out to be a size smaller than expected but kept it anyway, some knitwear, a pair of shoes and a bag. In my defence I haven’t spent a massive amount of money on clothes in the last two to three years due to buying a house. That said I think I need to draw a line under it now, too much:/

I definitely think the lockdown has people spending more online, maybe it’s a boredom thing? Was listening to a podcast about sustainability last night, with Aisling Bea, her suggestion was to ask yourself if you think you will wear that item again on at least thirty separate occasions, if not perhaps it’s best to put it back (or remove from hour online basket!). Perhaps doesn’t apply to every single item but does make you think more about what you are purchasing,is it good quality fabric, am I buying because of current trends, etc

• Advertisement

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I’ve not been great to be honest. Three occasion dresses that were well over the 200 euro mark. An Olivia Rubin skirt on discount that turned out to be a size smaller than expected but kept it anyway, some knitwear, a pair of shoes and a bag. In my defence I haven’t spent a massive amount of money on clothes in the last two to three years due to buying a house. That said I think I need to draw a line under it now, too much:/

I definitely think the lockdown has people spending more online, maybe it’s a boredom thing? Was listening to a podcast about sustainability last night, with Aisling Bea, her suggestion was to ask yourself if you think you will wear that item again on at least thirty separate occasions, if not perhaps it’s best to put it back (or remove from hour online basket!). Perhaps doesn’t apply to every single item but does make you think more about what you are purchasing,is it good quality fabric, am I buying because of current trends, etc

Yeah it has to be boredom or low level anxiety or a mix of both. I never would have thought of myself as an anxious person but especially earlly on in lockdown I was definitely more nervy that usual. My parents are in their early/mid 70's and I was shopping for them as well as myself and also just probably letting my thoughts run away on that subject.

I had a major whoopsie moment on Friday where I ordered a pair of Jimmy Choos (on sale) from MyTheresa. I'd had them on my wishlist for a while, hoping they might go down further. I'd also searched around online and couldnt find a better price on the exact pair. I'm nearly hoping they'll be uncomfortable or awful in some other way so that I'll send them back :P I know if they're nice I'll be very tempted to keep them even though they're probably about as useful as a chocolate teapot right about now.

I'm definitely trying to buy better pieces the last few years. Thankfully all this news about Boohoo and its other brands doesnt really impact me because I've never been a customer (apart from one dress I bought via ASOS about 2 years ago). I did order once from Nasty Gal (again, ages ago) and sent it all back, the quality was just not there - I learned my lesson and have never been tempted since. Sustainability is very important so at least I'm ordering quality pieces over trend based cheaper pieces.

One item that arrived last week is a pair of waterproof Sorel boots - again on sale - but they're not exactly something that change much year on year. This is my 2nd pair (although my first pair arent waterproof) and I was obsessed with them last year, so I'm sure I'll get great wear out of both pairs. My hope is investing in good all weather footwear will encourage me to walk and cycle places instead of using the car especially for short journeys.

Don't think I bought anything........... got a pair of boots reheeled & resoled.
    I try and do the investment pieces thing now so only buy a handful of items a year and a few pairs of chinos for work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hi OP- your thread title made me laugh! I definitely completely lost the run of myself with regard to shopping during lockdown- I was spending hundreds on around 8-10 different outlets at a time, only to end up returning half or most of them. It's a terrible habit, but for me I think it came from boredom and low-level anxiety, and needing to have that dopamine hit of parcels arriving to look forward to.

I was buying lots of loungewear due to WFH, and summer clothes- what a waste of money they've proven to be over the last couple of weeks :rolleyes:

It's so bad for the environment though, and I hate being in this endless churn of consumerism, plus I'm saving to buy a place, so I've really copped on to myself the last 6 weeks or so, and my pointless spending is near zero now.

I wasn't spending money on pretty much anything else in April/May, so I give myself something of a pass, but it's a mindset I really don't want to return to. The amount of clothes and bags and shoes I have strewn around the place is too much :(

I had a major whoopsie moment on Friday where I ordered a pair of Jimmy Choos (on sale) from MyTheresa. I'd had them on my wishlist for a while, hoping they might go down further. I'd also searched around online and couldnt find a better price on the exact pair. I'm nearly hoping they'll be uncomfortable or awful in some other way so that I'll send them back :P I know if they're nice I'll be very tempted to keep them even though they're probably about as useful as a chocolate teapot right about now.

So quick update, I sent back the Jimmy Choos. They were nice but maybe a smidge too big (i got 39.5 and probably a 39 would have been better) and also not remotely practical - I also found out yesterday that the 3rd wedding that I'd be invited to has also been cancelled so I've really nowhere to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

So quick update, I sent back the Jimmy Choos. They were nice but maybe a smidge too big (i got 39.5 and probably a 39 would have been better) and also not remotely practical - I also found out yesterday that the 3rd wedding that I'd be invited to has also been cancelled so I've really nowhere to be going.

Yes my weddings have been cancelled too, three frocks sitting in the wardrobe with nowhere to go. I should have it coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Loads! There was a period in April / May when I had a packaged delivered nearly every day. It was great! :-)

I eased off in June and then have bought a few more things recently - including Nike Metcons and Grenson shoes. Woot!

Advertisement